• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... it may have been reasonable to assume he was really just talking about his feminine side, and not his identity. However the way he describes it is pretty damn close to gender fluidity / modern pronoun usage and all that.

yeah I would agree with that (and have no problem with it).

he would have been banned here for asking "what the hell is gender fluid?", though. I also have no doubt of that. food for thought.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
yeah I would agree with that (and have no problem with it).

he would have been banned here for asking "what the hell is gender fluid?", though. I also have no doubt of that. food for thought.

I think it would be interesting for him to learn about it and then discuss how it relates to how he sees his "feminine side." Because he took it far enough to actually use "herself" as a descriptor. It could be that when explained he actually would say the way he feels fits the gender fluidity concept, or not.

He's an old dude probably not exposed to that sort of thing; I do wonder what the actual Esquire author said to him because they claim they talked to him about Lando's gender fluidity.

Every article should come with a transcript lol

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be interesting for him to learn about it and then discuss how it relates to how he sees his "feminine side." Because he took it far enough to actually use "herself" as a descriptor. It could be that when explained he actually would say the way he feels fits the gender fluidity concept, or not.
Yeah I think that's where he was going with the whole Jungian archetype thing... it's pretty much a hippie 70s concept revived (Freud and Jung are sort of, let's say, out of fashion now) but it's cool that he arrived here from a different path than most of us are familiar with.
He's an old dude probably not exposed to that sort of thing; I do wonder what the actual Esquire author said to him because they claim they talked to him about Lando's Gender Fluidity.
We need a word for this... proto-woke?

Every article should come with a transcript lol
yeah I would like that actually, even just as a link

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Didn't he use to beat one of his wives?

I'm just bringing this up now before someone else throws it out there. BDW is a cool dude, let old shit die.
Is there something about Star Wars that makes you to lose your mind or something? I've never seen you in a SW thread without causing fucking drama.

Edit: whoops late to the party

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, that quote doesn't seem to imply or base any sort of personal identity or gender statement.

Sounds like a basic response to be inclusive, not necessarily the point of OP
Mist Given that this person's interpretation of the quote was not dismissive, and also correct based on what Billy Williams has said since then, will the ban be lifted?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I think that's where he was going with the whole Jungian archetype thing... it's pretty much a hippie 70s concept revived (Freud and Jung are sort of, let's say, out of fashion now) but it's cool that he arrived here from a different path than most of us are familiar with.

Yeah what he associates with "masculinity" vs. "femininity" is probably pretty outdated. He basically said feminine = soft.

Taking that into account it is not surprising at all he balked at the gender fluidity comments.

I still think it's better to have the view that "men can be soft" even if you describe it as "their feminine side", but best case scenario is we just wouldn't associate those traits with gender. I think so at least (I'm not super well versed on how binary / gender fluid people treat the 'masculine vs feminine' concept)

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Self identification is self identification.... This is a story of self identification.

He is quite literally saying what the OP stated.

Please stop with this

Official Staff Communication
Billy Dee Williams states in the article:

"You see I say 'himself' and 'herself', because I also see myself as feminine as well as masculine," the actor later added. "I'm a very soft person. I'm not afraid to show that side of myself."

Please do not question the gender identity of others as this is both insensitive and offensive. Posts like these make the forum an uncomfortable and thus unwelcoming place, especially for trans and NB members. If you choose to take part in this conversation, please be thoughtful in how you do. Posts that dismiss a person's identity will be moderated as necessary.

"what I was talking about was about men getting in touch with their softer side of themselves"

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
What an asshole. Women are not "soft" by definition.
He's associating that with "femininity" and not equating that to being a woman.

I do think it's outdated way to describe it; but his actual point was "men should be allowed to be soft." The logical conclusion you'd hope he would agree with is that women should allowed to be not soft; although he might ascribe that to a "masculine side" which I can understand why someone would take offense.

It's that sort of half-way there progressive from decades past... mixed in with actually being willing to say "herself" as a descriptor.

I'd be curious what his thoughts are if someone explained to him that ascribing femininity to softness can be offensive; he might actually understand and agree because IMO he doesn't come across as an asshole to me.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His correction is exactly what I expected from an 80 year old man. Of course he doesnt know anything about gender fluidity. He probably lost track of social movements after the "feminine side" thing.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Huh, same pronouns as me, nice. That really made me :).

I wonder what's going on in the thread meanwhile.

*looks*

Ahhhhhh