• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
For me it as around the Dreamcast era when 640x480 became standard for home games. Things like Manx TT and NFL2k just blew my mind. I thought they were photo-realistic at the time.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Shenmue probably, when I was 13, then followed by Halo the next year. I thought I had seen it all

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Never been much of a graphics guy, as realistic graphics are something that is obviously always improving.

Style-wise I remember saying something like this for stuff like Cuphead and Hollow Knight. Which is still true, nothing in gaming right now looks better than Cuphead and Hollow Knight.

Jun 2, 2019
Banjo-Kazooie

It was like a playable cartoon and everything looked so solid and smooth. While i didn't love it gameplay wise graphically it made me though the N64 would be the peak videogames ever reached.

Didn't get that feeling again until Soul Calibur.

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube, played on a crappy 20 inch mono crtv. Yeah....But my biggest wtf moment graphics wise was seeing Gears of War on the Xbox 360 for the first time.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
The FFX trailers blew me away at the time. I literally bought a PS2 for that game (and then thoroughly enjoyed many other games)

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The 2001 E3 demo of Duke Nukem Forever. The facial animation looked so lifelike, of course it looks laughable now but at the time...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was born in 85, so I'd been playing games as a kid on Atari systems, the NES, gameboy, SNES, Genesis, and Playstation, but when the PS2 came out, hoo boy!

Tekken Tag Tournament. I couldn't believe my eyes. Everything looked so polished and slick. My eyes and brain were somehow entirely ignoring the remaining jaggies. Somehow it just looked like perfection to me.

Absolutely! Born in the same year and that game was insane at the time!
Before that, Sonic Adventure looks incredible clean and amazing when I saw it in Demo mode in stores (never owned a Dreamcast) - and before that, I remember the rare Metal Slug Arcade in Germany that looked incredible for 2D.

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
The very first time... I can't quite remember but I think it was Wing Commander or Legend of Kyrandia on PC.

I'm quite sure that the second time I got that thought was when I was tricked by bullshots of Killer Instinct characters for the N64. I really thought, ok, that's the peak. I was very gullible back in the day and really believed the "project reality" bs. I remember a german magazine mentioning that the N64 is going to feature graphic fidelity on par with the cgi in the Jurassic Park movie, but in real time lol!
Imagine my underwhelming when I saw the first real ingame footage of the early games for that console, haha!

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think in all my years of gaming I've ever thought "games can't look better than this".

I mean, if you've seen Toy Story graphics (heheh...), a much higher standard of computer graphics had always existed in animation/movies, so I'm always aware of what video game graphics could perhaps one day achieve, and are trying to catch up to.

I've thought "this is the best I've ever seen a game look" many times though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid Pokemon stadium blew my fucking mind.
large.jpg

172423-pokemon-stadium-nintendo-64-screenshot-machamp-recovers-from.jpg
I miss this game so much :(

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the first time I saw Altered Beast in the arcade, I thought I was looking at the pinnacle of video game graphics. I wish I could remember why.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

Probably this?

There were probably several moments before it where I was like DAMN this is impressive, but I think this GTA IV reveal trailer threw my expectations of what I thought was possible with realism in games out of the window.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Bayonetta 2 on WiiU. At that point I thought "graphics don't matter to me going forward as long as they look close to this". And tbqh, I still think it holds true for the most part. There are many games that do technical stuff better than Bayonetta 2 and there are a lot of games looking better, but to me they don't look that much better, where I'd say "this is completely ahead of what Bayo 2 achieved visually" and where I never would want to play Bayo 2 again.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I thought Bahamut Lagoon and Chrono Trigger where the hottest shit when I played them on SNES, but I was also aware of what was in arcades and what Neo-Geo could do. So I guess I never really had that moment. There's always better.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the Resident Evil 2 FMVs and thinking "wow, imagine if games ever looked like THIS"

Fast forward to RE2 remake, which blows those shitty FMVs out of the water. It's pretty amazing how games like now compared to 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Never ever said that, but remember a friend saying "how can you make better graphics than the Dreamcast?" to which I replied "I dunno, it can still be better" As amazed as I was about that killer whale scene, I could still see the low poly, low res textures and general jank associated with that generation of consoles. And that was the single biggest jump in next gen quality of all time imo

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My little dumb ass brain saw my cousin playing one of those Mega CD movie games and I thought "How can it get any better than this, its real?"

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand what a good looking game is during the PS1 era and before.

When I saw FFX being played by my friends older brother, that is where I thought graphics is perfected. The massive leap from a PS1 final fantasy game to FFX made me aware that graphics can be good or bad.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
The first Xbox360 games I saw at my friends' place were Dead Rising and Assassin's Creed.

I remember thinking Assassin's Creed was basically on par with real life.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, i have never thought that. I always figured things would improve over time.
I have been impressed with the artwork and graphics, don't get me wrong. And right now graphics have become so good and clean that creativity becomes more important again. That's a good thing. But for the longest time i just hated the limitations.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think i've ever said or thought that.
No me neither. I have sure been impressed by games. Some details especially. Textures in Uncharted 2 when it came out was amazing. I remember looking really close at those.

In a artistic way I might have thought it. Cuphead for example. But as in looking real. Nope.