• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Your earliest memory saying, "games can't look better than this!"

marshmallow

Oct 29, 2017
Never ever have I thought that graphics have gotten so good that technology can't improve and make them better

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
I remember looking at the water in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube and thinking that was it. It is now real. I can't wait to see the remaster of this and think it looks shit.

A lot of the GameCube games in particular, to me, look great even now. It must just be the styles they chose.

Buenoblue

May 5, 2018
Teken on ps1. Lol. Just the animation and smoothness looked so realistic I turned to my fried and said it won't getting no better than this. Game looks like shit now.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The first time it happened for me was when a classmate brought in he SNES with Donkey Kong Country for show and tell. I'd never even seen a Super Nintendo before so when he loaded up stage one of the snow world where the blizzard starts, I was blown away.

emag

Oct 26, 2017
Mothafuckin' Rogue Squadron II.

Eat your heart out, Battlefront II.
With games like Rogue Leader and REmake (and Prime and Wind Waker and GX), I really did think GameCube graphics -- for the first time -- were good enough. I still do (beyond some muddy textures, edges, and upscaling when using modern resolutions).

Never thought there wouldn't be further advancement.

Oct 28, 2017
I can remember watching the pre-rendered cutscenes in FFX's beginning, thinking to myself "Holy crap, in a decade, gameplay graphics will look like this in real time!"

Playing shit like God of War yesterday it's so cool to see that thought coming to fruition.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Probably the original Tomb Raider, followed by the original Resident Evil, followed by Metal Gear Solid. So first time was seeing tomb Raider on PS1 when I was used to Sonic on Master System (I was poor and skipped the Mega Drive).

Apr 12, 2018
Crash Bandicoot. I had just bought a PlayStation after owning a Genesis/32X/Sega CD and there was a demo disc with Crash on it.

Could not believe the razor sharp, crystal clear 3D.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018

I was 15 at the time, and I was playing on this little 32 inch HDTV that my parents had gotten me, along with a PS3, and Uncharted 2, I couldn't believe that I was able to play the parts that would normally be cinamatics.

Jiminy

Avenger
Mar 29, 2018
I've never had the "graphics can never look better than this" thought, but -

Half Life 2. It looked like real life.
Half Life 2 was the most impressive demo I've ever seen. That gameplay with the wallhacks, the physics, the reactive environment...

Then playing the game, having it in my hands, and it was EXACTLY like those demos... It blew my mind in 2004

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
I didn't think graphics would get any better than Jak and Daxter. Water dripping off Jak would never be topped!

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time at a friend's house was 100% a 'That's it. They can never make something that looks more realistic than this' moment.

Oct 24, 2018
Max Payne 1, dat Sam Lake face looked glorieus.
Shortly after that Halo CE, the moment you come out of the crashlanded escape pod on Halo was jawdropping

georaldc

Oct 27, 2017
Wreckless Yakuza on the xbox. Such a random, unknown game that was unlike anything I've ever seen before in terms of visual quality.

ClassicLevi

Jan 4, 2018
Shadow of the Colossus when I was like 10 blew my mind. I was like "This is it. This is what PS3 is going to look like."

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Perhaps the earliest I had such thought was when I played Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage on SNES when it was new. I was really surprised how close the characters looked to the cartoons.

MrCheezball

Aug 3, 2018
Am I really the first to say this one?

Fight Night Round 3

Xbox 360

Was arguably one of the greatest looking games ever when it came out.

THANKS

Oct 22, 2018
Gran Turismo 1.
Then Gran Turismo 2.
Then Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec.

I still do this with basically every next gen racing game.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
the king kong demo on 360 blew my fucking mind. between demo kiosks and downloading the trial once I actually got a 360 I probably played that demo over 20 times

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sonic and Fantasia on Megadrive.

I was 10 at the time and have a vivid memory of saying this to my friend and him agreeing with me lol