• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube is my earliest memory of claiming games can't look any better. I continued headstrong with that thought for a long time, too. While REmake is certainly a beautiful game, I think I championed it as having the best visuals for far too long. I recall even arguing as much well into the PS3 life-cycle.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly Paper Mario: TTYD in terms of cartoonish/2d aesthetics. I think I was half right, it never got better than that for the Paper Mario series.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't think it was perfect, but I was quite impressed with the Arkham games.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't think I have ever thought this.

I've always been impressed by graphics and continue to be but I always knew we would go beyond the GOAT CRYSIS PC WITH EVERYTHING MAXXXXXXXD OUT!

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Says something about my age, but seeing the games in the arcade looking a gen ahead of the consoles games at the time.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube.

Nothing particular about LM - it was just the first game I started on the GC (and it was my first console of that gen) and I just thought that these fancy 128-bit (ahhh, remember talking about graphics in terms of bits?) graphics wouldn't be topped.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive 2 for PS2 i think?

I was like "This looks like from an Arcade machines"...

Says something about my age, but seeing the games in the arcade looking a gen ahead of the consoles games at the time.
Yup. PS2 / Dreamcast receiving Arcade quality games blew my mind.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 3 on the PS3.

...God, the cringe of me actually having to type that one out. Granted, I was in my early teens at the time.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
NFL2K1 for Dreamcast, I remember my Mom walking into the room while my Dad and I played it and she thought we were watching an actual NFL game

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
i vividly remember thinking "wow this looks like real life" when I saw the first Madden on the PS2. Might have been 2001?

also for sure when I saw first Metal Gear Solid 2 videos.

these are the two I remember the most thinking it couldn't get better.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quake 2's first gameplay moments. Complex 3D environment with irregular surfaces, dynamic lightning, explosions that change the landscape... I was in awe, and I could not believe what I was seeing. I didn't expect graphics to get meaningfully better than that anytime soon. How little I knew.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I thought some games like Perfect Dark or NFL 2K were close, but I saw room for improvement.

Never thought anything would top GT3 - it looked as real as real gets at the time:

MV5BMWYyNzBhZjQtNWE2Ni00NjExLThiNTItMDJkNzMxOWUzMmViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg3NjQyOQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1334,1000_AL_.jpg

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The first time I saw beta footage of Final Fantasy 7 through the window of a Babbages and watched a clip of the Leviathan summon/Tidal Wave.

I the next time was seeing NFL2K on Dreamcast.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i vividly remember thinking "wow this looks like real life" when I saw the first Madden on the PS2. Might have been 2001?

also for sure when I saw first Metal Gear Solid 2 videos.

these are the two I remember the most thinking it couldn't get better.
MGS2 is a good contender because I played it at the same time as REmake and said the same thing, but chalked it up to being in a different category of visuals and therefore also the epitome of graphics. lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? I don't think I've ever had that feeling...? I suppose part of that comes from the fact that as a kid I had an SNES, a Game Boy and a computer all with games on them and all of which had completely different graphical levels so it was always pretty clear that graphics could be better than what I was playing at the time.

Perry Simm

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hasn't happened yet. But I feel like we are close. Red Dead Redemption 2 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance had their moments for example.