• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I started on atari 2600 and NES so when PS1 came around, during cutscenes I used to say "man, imagine if games looked like this, but during actual gameplay" and now we are so far beyond that... it blows my mind sometimes.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Minecraft

On a less serious note, I've never said that nor ever thought of it... which is kinda strange.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. It turns out that 60FPS on a 3D game was such a novelty after most of PSX and N64 sorry ass sub-20 FPS stuttery messes that it truly felt like games could never look better than that.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
3D accelerated Quake 2, probably. The lighting was like nothing I'd ever seen, and everything was so smooth with the bilinear filtering that it just had a crazy look. After that, probably Soul Calibur on Dreamcast.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Never really thought that but good God, did Soul Calibur look good when it came out on Dreamcast

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden on Xbox for me. Looking back it looks awesome especially with X enhancements but newer games have come out that loon slot more realistic and detailed.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think I thought that when I played Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast haha

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I remember watching an episode of the UK videogame TV show Gamesmaster, and in their news section they mentioned this console called the Playstation had released in Japan, and showed some footage of Ridge Racer running on it. The concept of being able to play something looking like THAT on my TV at home absolutely floored me.

I also remember reading a magazine when the release of the PS2 was imminent, and they had printed some screenshots of PS2 games (I believe Final Fantasy X was one of them), and I thought "nah, those have to be fake, games can't look that good".

Last edited:

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever said or thought that. It's pretty obvious that, no matter how great you may think sth looks at the time, future games will surpass it.

Oct 29, 2017
Soul Calibur 1 on Dreamcast.

It was like playing the CG cutscenes. Even while playing them I still couldn't believe it.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
GTA San Andreas. It's the game I was the most excited about in my life so finally getting my hands on it even if just for PS2 had me thinking how good it looked and there was no way to beat it. Didn't help that a cousin that also was looking forward to it did the same thing, so we had a little bubble there.
Didn't even care about other games that already looked really good, SA was the new peak lol, although I put it up so high because it was open world and all the stuff you could interact with.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everquest.

They made an entire fucking world. How could my middle school brain comprehend anything greater than that.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need for Speed 2

D4EhYis.png

Aug 15, 2019
PS1....Battle Arena Toshinden. I remember booting that bad boy up for the very first time and being completely blown away!! I was so extatic with it lolol

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
maxresdefault.jpg

The original Motorstorm was the first ps3 game I saw. This was at a demo kiosk at Best Buy and I couldn't believe how real it looked. Back then, I remember that it made me think that the PS3 was years ahead of the 360 in terms of graphics.

This looked as real as real gets to me back then.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Probably MGS2. I remember the opening ship scene with the wind/rain and being absolutely floored.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
For some reson I strongly remember watching spiderwebbs in super Mario world and loudly declaring that videogames can't get better than this. I mean its almost like a cartoon.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those Sega Model 3 games and Code Veronica screens for DC. I thought it looked like perfection. Its 20 years ago, lol.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Crysis 1, and it still looks like it could be a current gen game, minus some nitpicking here and there. I remember being awestruck how good it looked but never really wanted to play it since it simply did not look interesting to me. But graphically it was a beast.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Probably not the first, but at the E3 demo of Allied Assault, in 2000 or 2001, the beach landing at Normandy was mind blowing. I think everyone felt the same that saw the demo.

Another would have to be seeing Gears screens, and then video of it actually running on real hardware. I really thought it was all smoke and mirrors..

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was the first for me, with Battlefield 3 being the last. My eyes have gotten too keen recently.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
metal gear solid 2 with its dynamic shadows rather than the fixed, circular ones in the first game.

that whole trailer blew my mind. i couldn't believe what i was seeing.