• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Growing up playing the NES and SNES game, when I finally got to play the PS1 basically any game felt so real in my eyes.

It's something I commented on another thread the other day, as technology improves, our brains get used to the new graphics, but at the current time we don't know any better.

These past few years, with the remakes of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, etc, I play those games and I'm like "but this is just exactly how I remember them..." then I look the comparison to the original and the difference is huge. But that's what I'm saying, back then, we didn't know better and it's like, we knew that was the limit of the current technology, so our brains compensated it by imagining the rest. Because this feeling I have now while playing Crash or Spyro on the PS4 of "omg, this looks so good" is exactly the same feeling I had back when I played them on the PS1, so yeah I think we're very fortunate.

Younger kids that were born when there was already the GameCube, the Wii, the PS3 or I don't know, newer and newer consoles, if they look back at older games, I don't think they can fully appreciate those classic games or how could anyone be impressed by that, because they'll never know what it was like to not have what we have nowadays. In a few years I'm gonna look back at the PS4 games and be like "how could I think this was good?" lol

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first Far Cry game on the PC. I remember thinking "If this is as good as games will ever look, I am pretty ok with that."

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time, the first time I saw the temple of time as a pretenders background I thought it legit looked photorealistic.
Ah, to be 12 again.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Since the PS2, I've heard someone go "why do we need new systems, how much better do you need?", and I always never get it. There's always room for improvement. And with more power, comes more gameplay opportunities.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
For realistic games I always assume they can always look better, but for cartoonish games I was very impressed by mario cart 8 and I was like no way they gonna top the game graphics with mario cart 9 same thing I said about mario cart wii and I was wrong , like what is even more to do to make the game look better anymore?

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I've ever said "games can't look better than this"... plenty of "this looks amazing" or "this is the best looking game I've seen" but never thought that things couldn't get better.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
My first friend to get a PS2 invited me over. I saw this. I said "games can't look better than this." Madden '01
madden2001_image11.jpg

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Uncharted demo on PS3. I also remember getting Drake to run in the water and having my mind blown when his jeans were only wet up to the point where the water was.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the PS2, I've heard someone go "why do we need new systems, how much better do you need?", and I always never get it. There's always room for improvement. And with more power, comes more gameplay opportunities.
There is definitely something of a diminishing returns effect happening now.

The jump from SNES to N64 was huge. 3D Polygons were the future going from The PS1 to PS2 to PS3 was just textures, resolution, and polycount for the most part. But PS1 to PS2 was a bigger jump than PS2 to PS3 I would argue. PS3 to PS4 was smaller than that.

PS4 to PS5 will definitely be smaller. A lot of it is art restrictions. It takes time to realistically animate things that is not necessarily a power limit. It takes time to paint and create good textures and art and models. A 3D artist could recreate a PS1 character in an afteroon. It takes a whole team months to get a current gen player model now. it finally feels like we are more limited by manpower, time, (and to an extent memory and game sizes) than processing power.

Next gen won't be about higher resolutions and poly counts. It will be about small details that help tie the world together in a more realistic way. Better lighting, physics, environment interaction, etc.

It's less wow Nathan Drake PS5 looks so much more real than Nathan Drake PS4. And more "
Wow this environment has so many cool little details and interactivity."

Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry on PS2 blew everybody in my family away with how good it looked, so that.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
FF VIII and it wasn't that they couldn't but didn't need too even though I was also playing Soul Calibur on DC so what the fuck did I know

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
The first Bioshock, when the plane crashes and you are in the ocean i jus sat there thinking "wow cool cgi can't wait to play" and my friend told "dude, move, is not a cutscene" it was my first experience with next-gen at the time.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
For me, it was Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Back on the crt screen that was incredible.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, the scope of its 3D levels blew my mind back then. It wasn't just a visual gimmick but a real gameplay component, like it was tangibly 3D somehow. I remember this being a big thing in general in gaming mags etc. at the time.
Yes, exactly. I guess it was the verticality. This was the first game that gave me the feeling of "do you see this place out there? You can probably go there"

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I remember being pretty blown away the first time I fired up GTA 3 on the PS2. I was amazed at how there was such a huge open world to play around in that (at the time) looked so incredibly good.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I never understood saying that. Do people mean it genuinely? Why would you think that? Is it cause I'm not a native English speaker that I don't get it?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I never once thought that. Since I was a kid, I knew that they would look like real life one day.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I think the first time I was blown away by graphics was seeing Golden Axe for the first time. I had only seen NES graphics. So it was really mindblowing.

Much later I'd say seeing SSB Melee graphics (especially compared to 64) was a real "Okay, graphics can't possibly look better than this."

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The first Tomb Raider. I could not believe what I was seeing especially in the T-Rex section.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I was 8 years old looking at SNES games at Block Buster and saw Final Fight 2 and was blown away how good the game looked on the back of the box.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Pandemonium! for PC. I couldn't believe my 8 year-old eyes when watching the intro cinematic and playing the first level.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Me and my friend were playing Pit Fighter on the Genesis, circa 1991, when after a long day of playing he proclaimed, "graphics can't get any better than this."

Thank God he was wrong.