• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really think I had one. JRPGs had a shit ton of FMVs with 3D graphics, in-game in anything never matched those, so I was eagerly awaiting when gameplay looked just as good as those cutscenes.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This screenshot (or one close to it) in Nintendo Power

maxresdefault.jpg

People quibble today about varying degrees of photorealism, but this was truly mind-blowing coming from the NES. It looked like a goddamn painting.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 1 was the first time. Cart goes in, console turns on and then the best looking game I'd ever seen appeared on the screen within seconds.
Big jump from the Commodore C64 loading tapes.

After that, I spent time in arcades so home consoles never impressed me again. Until arcades died.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
When you get teleported to the dark world in A Link to the Past. The parallax when you're on top of the pyramid blew me away and I remember thinking that I was seeing the peak of video game graphics.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I think it was for Tomb Raider III on the PC.

Especially the quality of the animations really impressed me. It even impressed my grandmother and because my grandfather was happy about my granny being impressed he even granted me 1 more hour in which I could play the game on his PC :D

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
A very particular wall in the Runway level of Goldeneye 007. It had what appeared to be depth - think super early bump mapping - and I was just blown away. I remember showing the wall to people and saying "IT LOOKS LIKE A REAL WALL!".

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I've never had one. But watching the trailers of Killzone 2 and Motorsport I thought it was good enough.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought this. Things have looked great but I always thought they could be better.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nope. Never felt like that. That being said I would have been happy if all games were on par with MGS2 and 3.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There was an MLB game that launched around the beginning of the PS2's life, and I remember booting it up with my family and thinking WOW, this looks SO GOOD, where are we gonna go from here??? Simpler times, man.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Not sure I've ever had that exact thought. I do remember seeing Battle Arena Toshinden running at the store, around the time the original PlayStation launched, and being blown away.

GrappleMania

Oct 25, 2017
For 3D: FFX
For 2D: Guilty Gear XX

After that I figured there was always a way to improve and that definitely seems to be the case.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Sadly, it was this very moment:
tumblr_m9qb4bjFiq1qiq9ca.gif

I remember calling my mom into the room to show her how cool that looked and stately emphatically—something to the effect of—this was the pinnacle of gaming graphics.

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
I've honestly never said that games can't look better. I've always compared how graphics look to real life and high budget movies. It may be unrealistic to think that way, but I have.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. Games still don't look any better. Going from black and white Asteroids to seeing my friend have SMB on a color tv was mind blowing.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
TESIV Oblivion was the first time I thought "if all games looked this good and graphics never advanced past this I'd be fine". it was just super real looking back then which is now obviously super hilarious considering the potato faces and whatnot.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those PS1 final fantasy CGI cutscenes. Figured we'd have graphics like that for gameplay at some point after many decades and that life-like realistic graphics was something that wouldn't be achieved until after I died far in the future.

vortz

Oct 29, 2017
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast.

1998 and It still holds up TODAY.

Back in the day the 14yo me thought that was beyond crazy.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Bioshock. I remember seeing screenshots of some neon sign in a Game Informer magazine and thought it was mind blowing and 100% lifelike.