• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I played Shenmue on Dreamcast. The fact the characters had actual fingers really stuck out to me of all things.

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 3 where you could zoom in the camera and see the actual models. Compared to 2 which was 2d and static.

Assassins creed 2 made me say this as well. Climbing up the first sync point made my jaw drop.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Mario Kart 64 in Electronics Boutique had me floored. I vividly remember watching Yoshi and thinking how realistic he looked while turning.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I've never thought this but for some reason when I played Twilight Princess I thought it stood evenly with anything I had seen on the 360. Yes I know I was objectively wrong but I thought consoles must be close to hitting a ceiling if a GameCube title could hold up like that.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid Pokemon stadium blew my fucking mind.
large.jpg

172423-pokemon-stadium-nintendo-64-screenshot-machamp-recovers-from.jpg

Nov 13, 2017
While there were certainly 'WOW' moments as a kid. Seeing games run on the Dreamcast springs to mind - the first time I thought 'Okay, this is the limit' was probably Rogue Leader on Gamecube. I pored over screenshots for months before release.
A notable mention has to go to F-Zero GX. I remember seeing it playing on a demo kiosk and it was the first time I ever felt the 'gut drop' feeling from a video game. It blew my damn mind.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
oddly enough, many of the dreamcast games like soul calibur, shenmue and of all things, tokyo xtreme racer. In tokyo xtreme racer, i thought car games can't get much better. Clearly i was wrong.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There were probably other times during my wee gaming years, but the one that sticks with me to this day is, when I got my PS3 and then changed from a CRT TV to a plasma, full HD Sony BRAVIA, and got to Lake Bresha for the first time in FFXIII (it's important to notice I played the game up to that point on the 21" CRT).

maxresdefault.jpg

I remember just being breathless and sitting in awe looking at it, slowly walking through all the crystals.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
One of my high school friends had an Alienware PC. Top of the line at the time; one of those real huge, loud, gaudy ones.

Going to his house to play the original Far Cry on that was probably pretty close.

Before that, it was the FMV cutscenes in FFVIII. I couldn't imagine in-game graphics surpassing that.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Super Mario 64
Going from 2D to 3D worlds was pure blackmagicfuckery.

Gran Turismo (PS1)
first time I saw it I knew Sony was going to be a very serious competitor.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
When I played Silent Hill 3 I remember thinking "There's no way character models will ever look better than this!"

And to be fair, those character models still look damn good.

Wsjo7sk.png

YSizfM7.jpg

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Cuphead has broken the use of that statement. It's literally a cartoon. What more could be done here? It's timeless, perfect.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
The final level of Crash Bandicoot 2
Something about space in the background made me think it was incredible

Edit: then it went like this
FFIX->FFX->FFXII->Resistance 1->CoD4->Crysis 1

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Has to be GoldenEye on the n64. I just remember going wow that looks just like Pierce Bronson. Lol

I was actually talking with my mom the other night about this and she said playing intellivision and how you could see all the movements was really something else.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
That D-Day section in Medal of Honor Rising Sun.

That was unreal for me at the time.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I remember I only had a Wii for 3 years of the 7th gen and finally got a PS3 when the Slim came out. When I downloaded the demo for Sonic Unleashed, my mind was blown. I had been playing Adventure 2 for years and to see Rooftop Run in full HD was breathtaking for me

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Probably Shenmue screenshots in magazines

Or those early Oblivion screens

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me with Diablo 3 of all games. Obviously looking at it now it's actually kind of hideous, but at the time I struggled to think how they could further improve a top-down game.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
It was either the secret cutscene in KH2 or the first time we saw FFXIII during Xbox's E3 - when I saw that my kid mind was blown. It looked so good. I distinctly remember sitting in front of our TV in the living room and going "no way this gameplay is real... Is it?"

Steven35

Oct 28, 2017
United kingdom
Ps2 games lol.Devil may cry,silent hill 2 & 3 god of war.Also with ps3 games uncharted 2 & 3,the last of us,gears of war on the 360,resi 4 on the gamecube.I can't wait to see what ps5 games look like,especially the exclusives.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seeing a screen of NES Castlevania in like a Sears catalogue was my first real "woooow" moment, but my earliest "games can't look better than this" moment might have been Silent Hill 2 or MGS2. In the 8bit/16bit & PS1 eras I had a certain imagination regarding how games would advance tech-wise. PS2 is really when my mind was being blown with "where do we go from here?"

Kinda funny in hindsight. 😂

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I remember The 7th Guest giving me these feelings as a 10 year old. It felt completely unreal compared to other games at the moment.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never. I've been playing since NES and always got excited for the future when games will look like "real life".

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think I've ever said or remotely thought this, in part because whenever I went somewhere with arcade cabinets the games looked several generations better than what I was playing at home.

tollsjo

Nov 14, 2017
Metroid Prime blew me away. The rain effect on the visir was amazing. But after i saw Half-Life 2 i was convinced that nothing could look better than that