• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had an "edgy" opinion earlier, and then saw a thread asking me to remember the Harry Potter films. And with that was born this thread.

So here is probably my most controversial opinion. I do remember the Harry Potter films, but not fondly. I really did not enjoy them at all actually. So then I was thinking that not only do I not like the Harry Potter movies, I also don't like Star Wars. Two of the biggest franchises ever and personally I got barely any enjoyment from either. They're good in concept and in theory, but they're all actually pretty crap movies imo. So that's probably one of my edgiest opinions.

What are yours?

Note: I'd really rather leave politics at the door here to not immediately turn the thread into a shit show, but if you feel the need then you do you. Also, if you have a controversial gaming opinion here is a thread for that specifically https://www.resetera.com/threads/your-controversial-gaming-opinions.938/

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Pay attention to what you're wearing. Just because you're comfortable doesn't mean you don't look like a fucking tool.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
c07.gif

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Resetera is full of people who get off on superiority complexes

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Transformer 2 is the greatest action movie of all time.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Edgy opinion: edgy opinion threads are always toxic garbage and dumping grounds for salty people to shit on things with no real discussion

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I think sugar (and it's derivatives like HFCS) is a dangerous toxin that should be controlled/restricted/regulated like alcohol.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I disagree that all life has value. I agree with Tolkien's take on it: if we don't have the ability to give life back, we shouldn't take it.

But, I have a 5/90/5 theory: 5% of the population is rotten, and has a negative effect on society in general (murderers, rapists, etc.). 90% of the population is relatively neutral, like myself. I'd consider me to be a good person, but I haven't really done anything remarkable to leave a positive effect on society. On the flipside, your common criminals and bad people aren't really bad enough to impact society at large. And then finally you have 5% of the population which really leaves a positive impact on the world.

I think the people who argue against executing a mass murderer are whacky.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
you want to regulate/restrict most foods?

I think the fact that something like 80% of all grocery store items have added sugar in them is a disaster that we should work to correct. Not saying we should ban cookies, but we should at least have big warning labels printed on packages telling people they're ingesting a substance that will make them sick over time with enough consumption, like we do with cigarettes.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I am constantly readying myself to learn that any single man i come into contact with has raped or otherwise molested someone.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I think the fact that something like 80% of all grocery store items have added sugar in them is a disaster that we should work to correct. Not saying we should ban cookies, but we should at least have big warning labels printed on packages telling people they're ingesting a substance that will make them sick over time with enough consumption, like we do with cigarettes.

You do realize sugars occur naturally, right?

Do you think it's a good idea to put massive warning labels in front of the produce section?

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
The Notre Dame Cathedral burning isn't such a devastating event that people should get so riled up by someone making a joke. No person died, even all the bees survived!

OP
OP
tommy7154

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Notre Dame Cathedral burning isn't such a devastating event that people should get so riled up by someone making a joke. No person died, even all the bees survived!
I can laugh at a joke...but it'd heavily depend on what kind of "joke" we're talking about here. You'd have to tell it with the understanding that to many people both religious and not, that this was something much more than just a building like any other.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Stark is a shitty character and Iron Man actively makes the MCU worse. He sucks.

My issue is that he's basically a fucking tech wizard in that he pulls things out of his ass all the time. There are no stakes. There's nothing risked. He can pull something out you've never seen him do at the drop of a hat and it really fucks with the grounding of the movies he's in and needlessly cheapens everything he touches. Like in a normal story you establish the characters and tools that are possible and have the conflict happen and boom they can solve it using the tools. It's fun when it's a surprise but it should be a possibility that you can "figure out" even in hindsight how the protagonist got out of their predicament. Iron Man actively thwarts that at every turn.

MCU as a whole kinda has that issue but it's largely Iron Man.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the MCU and new Star Wars have been the worst thing to happen to movies in a long time

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
You do realize sugars occur naturally, right?

Do you think it's a good idea to put massive warning labels in front of the produce section?

I should clarify, when I say sugar I specifically mean refined sugar products such as sucrose, HFCS, etc.

Sugar in nature is always combined with tons of fiber, which helps the body process it better. If all our sugar *only* came from fresh fruit, that would be a *massive* improvement over our current way of eating.

That's not edgy, unless you're a sugar exec. ;)

And yet we're only one page in and there's already defensive pushback in this thread!

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I can laugh at a joke...but it'd heavily depend on what kind of "joke" we're talking about here. You'd have to tell it with the understanding that to many people both religious and non denominational, that this was something much more than just a building like any other.
Sure, and I wouldn't make a joke myself. The level of vitriol shown in the thread on the fire against occasional joke posts was kind of off putting to me, but I would have never said anything if not for an edgy thread because I know it's a little edgy/callous on my part lol

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Metallica's Self titled is basically a Nickelback album released in 1991. It's absolutely dreadful and I hate it more than St. Anger some days.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
The Last Jedi is a fantastic movie and up there with ESB.

I say this because literally everyone I've said that to looked at me like I just murdered their pet (or is it fur baby these days...?). I was incredibly surprised to see that in the 'what's your favorite SW' TLJ actually seemed to score really high.

OP
OP
tommy7154

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atheists piss me off, don't need to call out people for believing in something.
I like this one. I'm basically an atheist. Or agnostic. The way I see it is I'm fine with religion as long as it isn't being pushed on me. Right now I feel that it is a little too much and I don't like it and so I may sometimes push back.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this one. I'm basically an atheist. Or agnostic. The way I see it is I'm fine with religion as long as it isn't being pushed on me. Right now I feel that it is a little too much and I don't like it and so I may sometimes push back.

Most Atheists are basically the Vegans of religion, always calling out the other side and acting like they're superior and whatnot.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The Persona games are absolutely terrible at delivering any kind of theme or meaningful story and I'm convinced that people don't care because they think the characters are attractive.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Most Atheists are basically the Vegans of religion, always calling out the other side and acting like they're superior and whatnot.

Most atheists are actually like most vegans but not in the way you're implying -- most of them don't really give a shit what you do with your life, but the very vocal minority gives the rest of us a bad rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.