• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
If the first decade of the new millennium saw the Big 2 utilize the event crossover with increasing frequency, the second saw an explosion of such events. Now I have to be honest; most of them weren't that good. But there were some good nuggets out there.

One of my favorites that came out was Dark Metal. It wasn't that original of a concept, but the event was done fairly well and The Batman That Laughs was one of the best new villains to come out that decade. I also liked Secret Empire despite the controversial premise. It felt like a culmination of every screw up the heroes started over the last 15 years.

And man were they a lot of them. Avengers Arena killed off many fan favorite teen superheroes. Spider-Verse tried to think of a convoluted way to connect all the spider people. And we even got sequels to some of their worst offenses with Civil War II and Heroes in Crisis.

So which comic book events do you feel fond of and which ones do you wish never happened?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Favourite - Armor Hunters

Least favourite - New 52 counts as an event, right?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I kind of liked Spider-verse, but then I like Leopardon, and Spider-Ham. Wasn't a big fan of what they did to Spidey and his amazing Friends, though.

Heroes in Crisis: I haven't even finished it and I know it's terrible just for how they screwed Wally over yet again.

But to me the worst was Convergence. It was just pointless. It was basically an event to fill time while they moved offices from one coast to another, and they brought back all of these character and storylines I missed for absolutely no reason at all. Hey, remember when you loved these characters? Psyche! The only reason it gets a pass now is because Rebirth eventually happened.

Wait, I change my mind, New 52 and the repurposing of Flashpoint takes the cake, that meets this timeline, right? I realize DC was struggling at that point but man that singlehandedly weaned me off the monthly drip altogether. Take all the legacy out of the characters. Make the JSA into a new generation of heroes instead of legacy heroes (I didn't mind Earth 2, but c'mon, who thought that was a good idea?). Completely destroy the Teen Titans and Young Justice because you want to de-age everyone. Give everyone v-collars because reasons. And because of the way Flashpoint was repurposed, that Johns/Manapul Flash run basically went absolutely nowhere.

On the Marvel side, Inhumans vs. X-men. Ok, finally we're going to find out why there was this gap during which Cyclops somehow became the mutant Hitler that was hated by everyone, even his younger self. And we got... whatever that was. Plus I was somehow supposed to feel sympathy for the Inhumans because the Terrigen Mist cloud was their legacy and super important for them drafting unwitting pawns into their monarchy, while it was simultaneously wiping out all mutants, and they were confused why that was such a big deal.

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Civil War 2 was really, really bad,Captain Marvel was Donald's Trumps wet dream in that. Secret Wars was pretty good.Axis really sucked also.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Wars was the best. But that's about the only good Marvel one. I liked the spectacle of Avengers vs X-Men but I know it's not beloved.

For DC, I really liked Forever Evil and Darkseid War. Doomsday Clock was a masterpiece.

If we count Court of Owls, then Court of Owls is tops. Metal was pretty good but by the end was just plain ridiculous. Batman went and got The Joker's help so they could beat up The Batman Who LMAOs? Nonsense.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
lpsey-720x214.jpgwidtgckgd.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite - Joanathan Hickman's Avengers run. Might as well be an entire event.

Least Favorite - Chaos War. shit was trash.

edit: Actually, Avengers vs X-Men was also trash outside of Hickman's issue #6. Civil War 2 is probably equally trash with Chaos War.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of liked Spider-verse, but then I like Leopardon, and Spider-Ham. Wasn't a big fan of what they did to Spidey and his amazing Friends, though.

Heroes in Crisis: I haven't even finished it and I know it's terrible just for how they screwed Wally over yet again.

But to me the worst was Convergence. It was just pointless. It was basically an event to fill time while they moved offices from one coast to another, and they brought back all of these character and storylines I missed for absolutely no reason at all. Hey, remember when you loved these characters? Psyche! The only reason it gets a pass now is because Rebirth eventually happened.

Wait, I change my mind, New 52 and the repurposing of Flashpoint takes the cake, that meets this timeline, right? I realize DC was struggling at that point but man that singlehandedly weaned me off the monthly drip altogether. Take all the legacy out of the characters. Make the JSA into a new generation of heroes instead of legacy heroes (I didn't mind Earth 2, but c'mon, who thought that was a good idea?). Completely destroy the Teen Titans and Young Justice because you want to de-age everyone. Give everyone v-collars because reasons. And because of the way Flashpoint was repurposed, that Johns/Manapul Flash run basically went absolutely nowhere.

On the Marvel side, Inhumans vs. X-men. Ok, finally we're going to find out why there was this gap during which Cyclops somehow became the mutant Hitler that was hated by everyone, even his younger self. And we got... whatever that was. Plus I was somehow supposed to feel sympathy for the Inhumans because the Terrigen Mist cloud was their legacy and super important for them drafting unwitting pawns into their monarchy, while it was simultaneously wiping out all mutants, and they were confused why that was such a big deal.
Convergence was pointless and gibberish that upsets me in that they rushed it out for no reason, but Heroes in Crisis is a great writer, concept, and derails an amazing character cause DC said Wally had to be killer and focus on booster and harley. Like WTF, HiC reads like satire most of the time.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I generally liked the House/Powers of X event leading to the X-Men reboot. I'm a sucker for weird time travel type bullshit. I've liked the early reboot comics so far too.

Secret Wars was pretty fun too with Dr. Doom essentially being a God King and all. Pheonix force Cyclops getting instantly murdered right off the bat was a pretty great moment.

I missed a lot of setup for these events though. Because of the timing of some financial issues it was basically "Secret Wars" -> "Age of X-Man" -> "House/Powers of X" with no reading any issues between any of that lol. It was a little confusing, but I did alright.

Fear Itself was weird.

Civil War II was just horrible on multiple levels.

New 52 had a few things I liked, but was mostly a dud.

I've liked the bit I've read from the Rebirth stuff, but couldn't get much. I have the conpendium with all the first issues, and trades for Lois and Clark, Titans Hunt(?) and vol.1 of the continuing series, vol.1s of Suicide Squad, Nightwing, and Detective Comics.

I'm starting in on Dark Metal stuff now.

Oct 28, 2017
I was a sucker for spiderverse , spider island too. Was that even pre 2010?

I had fun with Minimum Carnage also though so I'm not necessarily a tastemaker

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and I don't know that it counts as an event, but Worst X-Man Ever was pretty fantastic. Hilarious, sometimed touching and sad to.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Age of Ultron, Civil War 2 and Secret Empire are among the worst offenders.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Secret wars is too obvious, so I will say original sin. I don't care for most events since it's either too self contained or too "interrupted to fight generic event villains". Was interesting to see "retcon reveals" like that.

Least favourite was flashpoint, since I don't care much for generic AU and it ruined dc for years for me

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Least favorite: Black Adam's reintroduction. He was amazing in 52. Probably the best written antihero in any medium. Then they reintroduced him as an also-run cackling villain in a stupid hood. Because his supposed main adversary had a stupid hood. How disappointing.

Second least favorite: John Constantine. Hellblazer was my favorite comic of all time. I read every last issue. I aged with the character. I think only Dick Grayson comes anywhere near how special I hold Constantine. I knew they were relaunching it so I braced myself. But damn. They basically made him into a superhero and that is not what he is and never was. They even gave him stupid white gloves. He'd never wear those things. I was so fucking angry as I read his new take. And I think it was in Justice League? The last comic Constantine should ever be in. But again, I knew it was coming.

May 24, 2019
Second least favorite: John Constantine. Hellblazer was my favorite comic of all time. I read every last issue. I aged with the character. I think only Dick Grayson comes anywhere near how special I hold Constantine. I knew they were relaunching it so I braced myself. But damn. They basically made him into a superhero and that is not what he is and never was. They even gave him stupid white gloves. He'd never wear those things. I was so fucking angry as I read his new take. And I think it was in Justice League? The last comic Constantine should ever be in. But again, I knew it was coming.

Those aren't events but
The new Sandman Universe imprint just relaunched John away from the regular DCU. Give it a shot.
Intro special: https://www.comixology.com/The-Sandman-Universe-Presents-Hellblazer-2019/comics-series/137464
New series: https://www.comixology.com/John-Constantine-Hellblazer-2019/comics-series/138507

There was one great use of DCU Constantine in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing:
https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-2011-2015-22/digital-comic/43666
https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-2011-2015-23/digital-comic/45551

edit: And James Tynion's run was good. He actually made use of the bisexuality thing.

Last edited:

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Unpopular opinion — Heroes in Crisis is surprisingly really good. I'm a big Wally fan from the Waid run, and I think this is a great Wally story.

I also really loved Tom King's recently concluded Batman run.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly read Marvel over the last ten years. I didn't have much affinity for Spider-verse in the Spider books but it was enjoyable somewhat.

Best:
Secret Wars was a great culmination of everything. It's just a shame that it was what put the final, final, nail in the Ultimate coffin.

Blandest:
Original Sin

Worst:

Civil War 2. Just pointless all around.

I enjoyed but recognise it wasn't great by any means:

Secret Empire. I found the Nazi Cap stuff unintentionally hilarious.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For DC, I really liked Forever Evil and Darkseid War.
That one really surprised me. Trinity War and Forever Evil going into Darkseid War was a lot of fun. Oh and Darkseid War had surprisingly good tie-in issues. That Green Lantern one shot.

For Marvel I have to pick Hickman's Avengers (an event in itself) and Secret Wars.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Secret Wars, I feel that DC's event comics have fared a lot better than Marvel's. They were even better at making terrible events like Flashpoint although Inhumans vs Xmen is kinda dumb as well. What was even the point of Axis? That may be the worst event comic.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Future's End was worse than Civil War II.

Thanks for reminding me that I bought every issue of Future's End. Ughhhh.
Same with the Convergence spin offs :(

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's Best: Secret Wars
Marvel's Worst: Civil War II; Bendis just HAD to get an event right after Secret Wars, didn't he?

My personal fave? The Thanos Imperative. Too bad it marked the end of Cosmic Marvel being it's own thing altogether.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for reminding me that I bought every issue of Future's End. Ughhhh.
Same with the Convergence spin offs :(
There are so many things with wrong with Future's End.

- Hey, let's combine the overused robot apocalypse cliche from Terminator with the body horror elements of the film, Virus.
- Terry McGinnis' pointless role in the event
-Oh, you thought Brainiac was the Big Bad? Nah, Ray Palmer will just shrink him.
- Brother Eye fusing Joker and Batman together was just dumb.
- Why would Brother Eye hide inside Power Girl's skull?
-Brother Eye fooling Tim Drake into thinking he saved the future. Yeah, the dark timeline still exists.
-Ronnie being a creep as Firestorm and taking Jason against his will for the ride.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hey. Some of those were great.
Question and Shazam almost made it all worth while.

You know, I can almost see that, but then I look at my DCBS bill even after discount for that month, and man what a waste. That's the most regret I've felt since I just soldiered on and finished "Countdown to Final Crisis" as it was coming out, only to find out it wasn't counting down to anything but blatant contradictions.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Imhumans v X-Men got me out of reading comics for 3 years (well that and Bendis run on Uncanny)

I picked up Secret Empires after it was done and came back.

The New 52 got 8 months from me waiting for some justification for its existence and it failed.

Later I would read the Amanda Conner Harley until it changed writers but I've never been consistent with DC since.

I did read and sorta like Doomsday Clock. But the Watchman TV show just showed me it was an inferior concept. Did like the ending though.

Heroes in Crisis has the cool testimonials but the actual plot was horrible.