• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to card games, the art is obviously an important factor. So what are some of your favorite card artworks when it comes to gaming?

Some of mine favorites include:

The Eldest Reborn (MTG) Artist: Jenn Ravenna
1cc5e058ef2370dc923a44a9459c0827.jpg

History of Benalia (MTG) Artist: Noah Bradley
1461644.jpg

Deliver Unto Evil (MTG) Artist: Seb McKinnon
7be7b3343bfc654fedf6d1c105bbe9ef_original.jpg

Last edited:

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
"Into its maw went the seventh sea, never to be seen again while the world remains."

inkwell_leviathan_by_ubermonster.jpg

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
50416icon.png

Pretty much all Gwent cards have top class artwork.

The Gwent Artbook from Dark Horse is absolutely beautiful.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of the Eldrazi cards have extremely rad atmosphere and waaaaay more effort put into them than the Yugioh Lovecraft Homage equivalents, but my GOD is Emrakul consistently drop dead amazing:
4.jpg

1508995499718552.png

And my personal favorite that really sells the bleak cosmic horror of it:
193492.hq.jpg

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
Some Yu-Gi-Oh! cards I love.

ZUW0mpF.jpg

VHA8h5Z.png

9UbKSZT.png

wdx0uO4.png

hupvpjo.jpg

8yZ0nlS.png

Lgp9iPg.jpg

o74pvV1.jpg

ErRKNRO.jpg

Unfortunetly, YGO cards don't have the artist names on them, so it's hard to credit them.

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lot's in Fire Emblem Cipher.
B04-048SR_SAMPLE.png

Nyna by ZIS, I love the image of Anri vs. Medeus in the background.

latest

Hannibal by Ippei Soeda, I love the realistic fantasy look of his art.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Eldrazi cards have extremely rad atmosphere and waaaaay more effort put into them than the Yugioh Lovecraft Homage equivalents, but my GOD is Emrakul consistently drop dead amazing:
4.jpg

1508995499718552.png

And my personal favorite that really sells the bleak cosmic horror of it:
193492.hq.jpg
Yes. The art is very menacing and eerie, really conveys this alien nature of the cards. They're among my favorites. Void Winnower is great too:

pz2IJpl.jpg

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Eldrazi, while Battle for Zendikar was mostly terrible set, I really love some of the eldrazi there. Even the non-Titan ones.

Edit: Beaten on Void Winnower.

63.jpg

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The art is very menacing and eerie, really conveys this alien nature of the cards. They're among my favorites. Void Winnower is great too:

pz2IJpl.jpg
Speaking of Eldrazi, while Battle for Zendikar was mostly terrible set, I really love some of the eldrazi there. Even the non-Titan ones.

Edit: Beaten on Void Winnower.

63.jpg
Void Winnower specifically is special to me because at first it just looks like a weird alien thing in the mist, but then you realize the ground beneath him is a mountain range, and that he's in the clouds, and it just gets 20x more ominous.

And yeah, goddamn is nearly the entire Eldrazi archetype just amazing both in art and play. I haven't played much Magic since before The Promised End variant of Emrakul came out, so there's probably a shit ton more support I haven't seen yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Avacyn+Angel+of+Hope+13x18.jpg
Avacyn, Angel of Hope by Howard Lyon

4ec3613e5f1157d046da0e26e05228aa.jpg

Serra, the Benevolent by Magali Villeneuve

b3e2209e9ae601d8d96c985ec0831c5e.jpg

Lyra, Dawnbringer by Chris Rahn

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the art in the WoW tcg. It and Magic are really hard to top (though I do enjoy Yugioh's art too).

My all time favorite art from a card:
angrathar_the_wrathgate.jpg

I'd love to have a copy signed someday.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I have way too many to pick just one. In fact, just a few weeks ago I made a couple of 1440p sized wallpapers that just feature some of my favorite art from the last four or five sets (and a few older cards). I stitched them into a single long image and made them spanned wallpaper for my dual display setup.

CRTRKsD.jpg

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Like a lot of other replies, I love Seb McKinnon's art. Just feels so different from most of MTG's cards. I even have this as my avatar. Honestly, I don't even think it's his best work, but it's the one that fits best as an avatar image

I also kind of like some of the older MTG art. Like this one, that also has some classic flavour text to go along with it.

And finally, for something that isn't MTG, this one card set from Pokemon

Love how it tells a story just through the art. And despite how incredible Pokemon designs are, the card game mostly has really ugly art, so this one really stands out.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Love how it tells a story just through the art. And despite how incredible Pokemon designs are, the card game mostly has really ugly art, so this one really stands out.

I love when card games do this, There is a tone of YGO cards that do this, technically MTG also does it, but it's not the same as MTG has an actual on going plot, while YGO and Pokemon do it a easter eggs.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
He invented the pokemon storage network system? Damn, what a cool-ass dude.
BillBaseSet91.jpg

The secret rare Ultra Ball is beautiful IRL. All the secret rare items from the Sun & Moon era are.

Pokemon-Card-Ultra-Ball-161-149-Secret-_57.jpg

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of other replies, I love Seb McKinnon's art. Just feels so different from most of MTG's cards. I even have this as my avatar. Honestly, I don't even think it's his best work, but it's the one that fits best as an avatar image

I also kind of like some of the older MTG art. Like this one, that also has some classic flavour text to go along with it.

And finally, for something that isn't MTG, this one card set from Pokemon

That tiger one is fantastic. Good Pokemon one too.

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to card games, the art is obviously an important factor. So what are some of your favorite card artworks when it comes to gaming?

Some of mine favorites include:

The Eldest Reborn (MTG) Artist: Jenn Ravenna
1cc5e058ef2370dc923a44a9459c0827.jpg

History of Benalia (MTG) Artist: Noah Bradley
1461644.jpg

Deliver Unto Evil (MTG) Artist: Seb McKinnon
7be7b3343bfc654fedf6d1c105bbe9ef_original.jpg

2 out of 3 Bolas in the OP, MY MAN!

My fave Bolas is probably the most recent:

Nicol Bolas, Dragon God,(Mythic Edition) By Matthew Stewart:

1555960884_linn1.jpg

The original for this sold for THIRTY. FIVE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtgartmarket/permalink/2404646419765563/

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I wish they would bring FE Cipher to the States even in the form of a Video game.

altena-art.jpg

tumblr_oi24feFYSE1utcx89o1_500.jpg

Spoiler tag for early FE12 spoilers
s15-katarina-sr.png

Nov 9, 2017
RĂ©union
A newer entry:

Cruel Celebrant (MTG) Artist: Bastien L. Deharme
bastien-lecouffe-deharme-cruel-celebrant.jpg

It's even better with the flavor text: "Whichever side wins, I'm sure the banquet will be superb."

Personally, I really like some of the illustrations by Rebecca Guay, like this promo art for Path to Exile:
Path-to-Exile-Promo-Art.jpg

And I also love a lot a blue cards, especially because of the contrast between the red and the blue present in some of them, like in this illustration for Remand by Hideaki Takamura:
d669ec_10c9eb15eaa54ec1b1f6998d699996a6.webp

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No love for Hearthstone cards? Lol.

I must admit, I think the card art in Hearthstone is one of the weaker aspects of the game. It's fine and all, and some of it is nice, but I prefer MTG's style much more.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Card games aren't really my thing, but the Magic card Amano illustrated is gorgeous.

Card
JOA_liliana.png

Full Art
am-1.png