• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Torchlight 2, Sacred 1-2, Dungeon Siege 2.

And from older, 90s. stuff I loved Hexplore, Throne of Darkness and Nox.
Awesome game and I bought it specifically to quench some diablo clone thirst, but I don't think it counts. It is isometric Hack'n'Slash but with more puzzle solving and party members and way fewer (no) loot.

Oct 27, 2017
Champions of Norrath, Gauntlet: DL, Baldur's Gate: DA, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, Forced, Dungeon Siege III, Sacred, Torchlight, Victor Vran, I don't think I can actually name a favorite. Reading this thread makes me realize just how much I love this genre (I've played about 95% of the games mentioned here). Hopefully if we get a Diablo 4 that'll inspire even more Diablo likes.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Grim Dawn is my top pick and the next best thing to Diablo. I'd give Torchlight 2 a nod as well as a fantastic AARPG.

Back in the day I loved Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. I wish it had a PC port because I'd be all over it.

Most everything else is simply too slow or just plain dull. That includes the much vaunted Path of Exile.

Oh, and Diablo is still the king of the genre. It nails everything perfectly.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Titan Quest and the first Torchlight get my vote. I need to revisit Torchlight 2; by the time I got to it, I kind of had my fill from Diablo III.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed playing the Xmen Legends/Marvel Alliance games in the PS2/PS3 days. Dungeon Siege trilogy. Dabbled a little in Torchlight 2. Other than Diablo, Baldur's Gate is the best and most fun I've had with the isometric action RPG genre.

Looking forward to trying out Divinity and Grim Dawn someday. Keeping my eye out on news for Lost Ark. Hopefully it gets a North American release.

CheeseTom

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue Nox didn't have good loot, but it's still a great ARPG. Path of Exile is currently the best one at the moment.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Torchlight 2.

I installed it last night, for some reason. It feels and sounds so much like I would expect from a Diablo game. Diablo 3 isn't a bad game by any means, but you can tell that it was made by a different team.

I hope that Runic is absorbed back into Blizzard and becomes Blizzard North again. I would patiently wait for them to make a proper Diablo 4.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Enjoyed playing the Xmen Legends/Marvel Alliance games in the PS2/PS3 days. Dungeon Siege trilogy. Dabbled a little in Torchlight 2. Other than Diablo, Baldur's Gate is the best and most fun I've had with the isometric action RPG genre.

Looking forward to trying out Divinity and Grim Dawn someday. Keeping my eye out on news for Lost Ark. Hopefully it gets a North American release.

I wanted this game since it was announced. I hope EU release very soon.

rpg_fan

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 3 is an okay Diablo 2 clone.
It really isn't.

Torchlight is pretty good, the champion/baldurs ps2 games are as well. Nothing has quite scratched that D2 itch yet. I still play it from time to time, and a remaster would take many hours away from me.
Poe is good. The thing is it's several years old, and a gaas. They've had to layer a lot of complexity to keep people playing, and it's not really to the games benefit. So much of what you do is just endless tedium, it's hard for me to really recommend anyone starting it up now.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Van Helsing: Final Cut have better difficulty balancing?

Maybe it's because I was shit at the game, but I constantly got smoked in the first one, despite loads of grinding and trying different builds. It was probably just me, and I still really enjoyed the game overall, but it seemed a lot unbalanced and I never played the sequels or the Final Cut because of it.

I didn't had any difficulty with the Final Cut version. Been using an ice/thunder mage and it was going swimmingly (except for the goddamn crashes which are pretty rampant).

3n3rgy

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a huge fan of Diablo-esque games, but Torchlight II changed me on that. Game is incredible.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Most of the big ones have been mentioned. I think currently Grim Dawn is great especially with the expansion. I am not a fan of PoE, it just didn't click with me due to combat system, loot system, presentation, etc.

Titan Quest, Sacred 1-2, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Torchlight 1&2 and Victor Vran are all with a playthrough as well.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Torchlight 2:

- mod support
- offline play
- great art direction
- sublime audio
- cool pet system

With certain mods, there is infinite content and it scales pretty high.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Path of Exile, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance , Grim Dawn , Sacred, can all be clones from Diablo, i just never felt one of them have surpass the serie. You need ro play them expecting something different, not something better. Im dying to find a Diablo game and say, oh shit, its better than D3, D2. Grim Dawn was the one that capture my attention, but after three hours, i left it there, never played it again, and unsuccesful getting a refound from steam, cause i did regret having purchase it.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
What is the FTP model of Path of Exile ?

You get an entire game for free. You only pay for Cosmetics (mostly unique spell effects) and Stash Tabs

IMO, Titan Quest and Grim dawn are the best from just the gameplay side of things as they nail the combat as well if not better than Diablo (which most clones don't get right). I'd also put Dungeon Siege 2 up there as well.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and Champions of Norath are awesome games (BG: DA1 is good but 2 is better in every way). I also really dig Marvel Heroes and while it's been taking a bad turn I still enjoy leveling characters in it. Good podcast game.

Ultimate Alliance has not aged well to me, sadly. I was a bit disappointed when I got the re-release.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is where I would have normally come busting through the doors talking about Marvel Heroes, but that game is a shambling corpse of what it used to be.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It would be awesome if the ex Runic guys would come together and make a new loot rpg, those guys were so talented.
Just don't make it online only and I'll be there day one, even if it was a kickstarter, and I don't do kickstarter anymore.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just remembered another solid Diablo style game in portable: The EA Lord of the Rings games for the GBA.

They only made two games for the second and third movies (but I think they added FOTR content into the Two Towers one), but they offered a ton of different playable characters with different play styles, but they were a lot of fun.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played it in a while, what did they do with it?
The short version is that they more or less put PC development on hold for 2-3 years to make the console game, which came out with performance issues and odd gameplay decisions.

Then when the new players didn't arrive they doubled down on whales with much more aggressive loot boxes and an incredibly grindy prestige system.

I think the PC version is still missing the big update they promised years ago, and as far as I know they missed their big Thor tie-in plans.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
How does Sacred 1 compare to 2?

Also, Devilian was incredible while it was around. Short lived due to other crap, but one of the more unique formula twists in quite some time - TERA + Diablo.

I prefer it to 2. I like the aesthetics of the pre-rendered characters of 1 along with the gore and death animations. 1 with the underworld expansion is the better game for me.

Also as others have said, the Baldur gate dark alliance games are top tier. I wish there was more of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Unfortunately, I was not able to get into Torchlight. It lacked the lore of Diablo that gave me reason to keep going.

I need a REASON to kill hordes of enemies. I need long histories of the clan from which my character came, and so on.

I've heard good things about Path of Exile, but Diablo and its clones are massive time sinks that I have not been able to invest in yet.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a huge issue if you end up disliking those classes down the road. The official Grim Dawn forums have numerous threads for programs that people use to reset characters.

So it seems my saved games are not on my machine? So I guess they are in the cloud? I have never saved the game. How do I fix that so I can try to change my class? I am a Shaman/Demolishist

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems my saved games are not on my machine? So I guess they are in the cloud? I have never saved the game. How do I fix that so I can try to change my class? I am a Shaman/Demolishist

The game saves automatically, and quite regularly. I've never lost progress in the very few occasions that my game crashed.

But, if your saved files are not in the following folder - which is the default location (\documents\My Games\Grim Dawn) and in the cloud, check out this thread from the Grim Dawn forums. This will overwrite data in the default location.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
The game saves automatically, and quite regularly. I've never lost progress in the very few occasions that my game crashed.

But, if your saved files are not in the following folder - which is the default location (\documents\My Games\Grim Dawn) and in the cloud, check out this thread from the Grim Dawn forums. This will overwrite data in the default location.

Awesome, thanks! I was able to drop one of my masteries. Would it work to turn on cloud saving again and only do locally if I want to fix something?

Should I buy the exp pack now or wait?

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
already mentioned a couple of time in the thread but Record of lodoss war is an amazing game for fans of both diablo and the anime.
zu34VD

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks! I was able to drop one of my masteries. Would it work to turn on cloud saving again and only do locally if I want to fix something?

Should I buy the exp pack now or wait?

I've never messed with cloud saving in this game due to complaints I've seen, it might be user error in most cases, but I stay in the "better safe than sorry" boat so I can't really say. If I ever feel to need to back saves up, I just copy them to a USB.

The expansion is fun, if anything just for the new masteries and constellations. I've only gone through it once on Veteran though, so I have not really dived into it that deeply yet.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Path of Exile. Great game, pretty good customisation/character building, and a really fair F2P model.