Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly - the more I think about it the more I like it,
cloud-ffvii1.jpg

I don't know how Squarenix did it , but they took like 50 or less polygons and created some very nice designs for
FF7 - it's now wonder they are so beloved.

Which are you favorite Low poly designs from back in the day?

-------------

On that same note,
we tend to see lots of retro indie titles with 2d sprites,
perhaps low poly design will become more popular one day.

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SSB64_Samus.gif

As someone that never heard of Metroid before Samus appeared in Super Smash Bros, her model confused the hell out of me. But she was a space thing so I was into it.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Pikachu's model from Smash 64 alot. It had that puppet look I kinda dig.

275795-super_smash_pikachu.jpg

But I also like the 3D-modell from Pokemon Stadium. Also not a bad one honestly (still prefer the SMash 64-model for some reason)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but I think FFVII's character designs were smart as hell usage of the limited graphics.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Red XIII from FFVII. His low poly model is surprisingly detailed and expressive, despite how blocky the guy is.

I think it looks especially impressive when compared to his much more detailed battle model
redxiii.png

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
I played FF7 only about four years ago, and it was hard to get through the first couple hours without laughing too hard at the lego people :p I think I've come to appreciate them somewhat, though.

My vote's on low poly Solid Snake. Whatta guy.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly - the more I think about it the more I like it,
cloud-ffvii1.jpg

I don't know how Squarenix did it , but they took like 50 or less polygons and created some very nice designs for
FF7 - it's now wonder they are so beloved.

Which are you favorite Low poly designs from back in the day?

-------------

On that same note,
we tend to see lots of retro indie titles with 2d sprites,
perhaps low poly design will become more popular one day.

That's not even the low poly version of that model. When using Cloud, Tifa, or Cid to rid the Chocobo's in the Gold Saucer, they have an even lower-poly model in use:

C52ZCbe.png

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
tf2_group.jpg

Probably need to define low poly in tiers though, stuff like that Cloud compared to say, a Tekken 3 fighter that is still considered super low poly in today's standards for example. With today's skill or artists and better tools available if you google for "low poly modeling" you can get some amazingly effective stuff that actual games that used similar polycounts don't hold a candle to. As above.
7382809dcdb979ca01cf4c000bc481cb--game-character-character-modeling.jpg

Last edited:

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lara13.jpg

lara. never did 4 polygons inspire a generation of horny teens

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Like MGS1, Vagrant Story's models aren't easily separated from their extremely effective and economical texture work, but the result does allow for a lot of detail under very strict limitations.

vagrant_off1.jpg

The Harpy is probably my favourite individual enemy design from the game - it's a simple, sort of goofy design that works really well in context; managing to become oddly unsettling due to the way it's framed and its abilities. The mixture is slightly reminiscent of Kaneko's SMT demons.
harpy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Bowser model. Don't know exactly why, but it's considerably better than the DS remake one
Bowser_lowpoly_preview_featured.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Hope Nintendo makes a low poly amiibo line.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked Adeleine in Kirby 64. It's a shame she hasn't returned.

UbJF0Tm.png

I really like the low-poly model of Ribbon from the same game, too. Couldn't find a picture of it anywhere, so I had to take a screenshot from a gameplay video. Still can't see it super well here, but oh well.
c255ed58c6.jpg