• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons, but two no one mentioned:

Contact
s-l300.jpg

Ghost Trick
11-eveningpatrolmaaan.gif

I was gonna say Contact! Love that game, i wish there were more games like it (are there?)

Not sure Ghost Trick is "hidden" but it is a gem and worth mentioning in case someone hasn't heard of it.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
a lot of people know ghost trick but I seriously don't know a lot of people that played the thing.
play it people it's great.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Pic Pic
eg_picpic01.jpg.jpg

Also Hudson's Illust Logic+Colorful Logic aka Color Picross:
eg_illust01.jpg.jpg
\
Soul Bubbles is amazeballs:
sb1.jpg.jpg

Maestro: Jump in Music:
large.jpg

Last Window is great too, if you enjoyed Hotel Dusk:
2.jpg.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Since OP listed Ace Attorney Investigations 2, here's a few more with fan translations-

Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love-
114760_front.jpg

Game Center CX 2 (sequel to Retro Game Challenge)
103987_front.jpg

Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! (the 3rd Chibi-Robo! game)-
114282_front.jpg

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like we have this thread every other week. Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

- Tokyo Beatdown
- Away: Shuffle Dungeon
- Jake Hunter: Memories of the past (includes the first game)

And... controversial opinion time....

- Suikoden Tierkreis

^ Play it with cheats enabled and it shines.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
250px-Drone_Tactics_Artbox.jpg

Does anybody remember this game? This was a surprisingly fun strategy game by Success but mostly ignored when it came out. Speaking of Success, this was a strategy gem by them too:

RondoBox.jpg

It was super hard but this also made the game quite fun too. It had an interesting story too.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
220px-Bomberman_2_DS_boxart.jpg

This is my favourite bomberman game and I think it was only released in Europe?

Also this game was amazing and it came out of nowhere.
220px-MMClashOfHeroesBoxshot.jpg

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Lots of great stuff in this thread, but Ghost Trick would be my pick.

Also, haven't played enough of it myself to decide whether it's actually a gem, but maybe My World My Way?

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
The DS library was so ridiculous that even while reading this thread I'm like "oh yeah I enjoyed that one too" even though I totally forgot it existed.

A few I can think off right now:
-Lunar Knights
-Bleach: The Blade of Fate
-Geometry Wars
-Magical Starsign
-Jump Ultimate Stars

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Ouendan/EBA trilogy
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou
Devil Survivor 2

These are all kind of the basic ones but they're still my favorites. I've played like ~100 DS games and there's still an astonishing number of stuff being mentioned here I need to delve into.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
The DS was full of gems. Some of the more hidden ones I can think of would be :-

- Mysterious Quest : Mysterious Times
- The Urbz : Sims in the City
- Touch Detective (1, 2 1/2)

Agree with majority of the previous games, a lot of stellar titles mentioned. I miss the magical time of the Nintendo DS...

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
This thread brings back memories... I loved the DS library.

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Ghost Trick
Last Window/Hotel Dusk
Time Hollow
Picross 3D
Alien Infestation
Meteos
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Ouendan
Puzzle Quest

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Space is the best game Platinum has ever produced.

Even though it was mostly Nude Maker doing the work.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I preferred the spritework in the DS version of Might and Magic Clash of Heroes to its console version.
Alice in a Wonderland had a great visual style in contrast to the garishly ugly Burton film.
The Dark Spire
Knights in the Nightmare

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Umihara Kawase Shun Complete Edition.
81SYNkzQlGL._SX342_.jpg

It's a port of Shun for the PS1, and also includes a port of 1 for the Super Famicom. Really great little package, and a ton of fun on the DS controls. Probably my fave Umihara game.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
latest

Great little Sims game that could use more love. Was full of quirky characters and a nice progression system
Believe it was on GBA as well

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For those recommending Infinite Space, the slow battle animation didn't turn you off of it? I played a couple hours and I found it overly slow (the battle animation not the game as a whole). It was the main reason I stopped playing it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like the 3DS, the library never beat the DS one in terms of variaty. One of my fave games is Boxlife, I have no idea who was the crazy person that tuned a game about making boxes into something so compelling and well made.

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite lesser known games are already covered. Rocket Slime, Chibi-Robo! (Park Patrol and Okaeri!), Lost in Blue are probably my top three out of overlooked DS titles. There's also a pretty solid entry in the Viva Piñata series (Pocket Paradise) for the DS if you enjoy that sort of thing.

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
Y'all are making me realize my game library wasn't very adventurous as a kid. Haven't seen one game I played in this thread yet. (I did own Nostalgia but never played it. Gonna try to find it now.)

(I also did ask for Devil Survivor, but my parents were either hesitant about purchasing me it or simply couldn't find it.)

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Infinite Space and Retro Game Challenge both come to mind.

Not being able to play the sequel to Retro Game Challenge really annoys me. I loved the retro RPG in there and always wanted to play its sequel.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the guy the OP was talking about who brought up Monster Tale! I have Nintendo Power to thank for even bringing this game to my attention. Here's the box art to get your attention.
large.jpg

Some of the music is pretty great, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5iQnLKU38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyWwbkpgnms

I also want to give a huge shout out to Jump Ultimate Stars, the Shonen Jump manga cross-over fighting game that has yet to be matched. It's the definitive action manga cross-over experience!
129659-jump-ultimate-stars-nintendo-ds-front-cover.jpg

Another game I'd like to highlight isn't a substantial one, but it's one I had a good time with. Giana Sisters DS. It's really easy and not too much of a challenge, but there's a decent amount of game there, and it's just relaxing to play. I was at a point in my life where I just wanted something simple and clean to play that had a decent amount of charm to it, and this game was just what I needed. I got it for about $10, too!
hhupuntmhdrquo5yri7v.jpg

Feb 12, 2019
Fan translations included?

Okay then Mystery of the Emblem is actually one of the best Fire Emblem games, every FE fan should play it.

latest

Game blew me away.
It's a crime that New Mystery never came over here, given how much better it is than Shadow Dragon.

To give my own answer, The Dark Spire is this weird, uncompromising dungeon crawler that takes after the original Wizardry games even more than something like Etrian Odyssey does. I don't necessarily know if it's my favorite obscure game on the system (it has a lot of intentional old-school bullshit) but it still sticks out in my memory as a really neat thing.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
infinite space was an awesome rpg and it never ever received that slow burn rise in popularity 999 got either.
The puzzles in 999 had a functional escape the room style. I dunno what Infinite Space was trying to do.

But despite the DS's limitations it was the grandest space opera I've ever played. A universe that feels vast. A span of time of wide eyed youth to the adult legend. Aliens that look and feel alien. What an adventure.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans is a pretty surprisingly solid turn based RPG with some great spritework and neat combination attack mechanics.

I think MonolithSoft developed it...?