• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
41A7kwR8wML._AC_SY400_.jpg

Don't know if this qualities as "hidden gem" but it's not a game I'd see mentioned too often, which is a shame.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you tell me why? As the only person more disappointed in the 3DS than you probably on this forum, its lack of hidden games like this were part of it.

No. I hate the 3ds the most. Especially after the best thing ever the ds.

Not sure if it's a hidden gem but my favorite game is DQ heroes: Rocket Slime

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of good answers in this thread. I'd throw Jet Impulse as one, a fun little fighter jet game that really impressed me for being on the original DS.
JetImpulse.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Definitely Pic Pic
eg_picpic01.jpg.jpg

Also Hudson's Illust Logic+Colorful Logic aka Color Picross:
eg_illust01.jpg.jpg
\
Soul Bubbles is amazeballs:
sb1.jpg.jpg

Maestro: Jump in Music:
large.jpg

Last Window is great too, if you enjoyed Hotel Dusk:
2.jpg.jpg

I .... Someone mentioned both soul bubbles and Maestro????!!!!!

I don't know what to do here it is the first time I am not the first person to mention maestro in a day thread. I must be getting old

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
617R8DVNZZL._SR500,500_.jpg

an amazing sports game, with a really fun dribble / movement mechanic using the stylus. and really robust local multiplayer

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Last Window is great too, if you enjoyed Hotel Dusk:
2.jpg.jpg
Man Last Window was the only game I've ever imported, I was just looking for more Hotel Dusk. It's a shame about Cing and how they just weren't looking to fund those kind of adventure stories but I appreciate that they existed.

And... controversial opinion time....

- Suikoden Tierkreis

^ Play it with cheats enabled and it shines.
I liked maybe the desert area. The rest of it was a cluster and mostly a dull one. Whatever positives it managed to achieve were strongly filtered due to the Suikoden branding.

It's a better take on the Suikoden IV villain though.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm going to be basic and say Elite Beat Agents - I don't think it's exactly a hidden gem (big marketing push in the US), but it didn't get anywhere near the attention it deserved.

Did anyone ever play that Looney Tunes knock-off of it? I always wondered how it held up. I looked at some clips on YouTube, and it doesn't seem to do much with the formula.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Conquest.

I know, I know, it's Pokemon, but no one ever talks about it. I've spent more time playing it than any other Pokémon game in the last fifteen years. Made by the guys who make Nobunaga's Ambition games, so it is basically Pokemon strategy with a weird samurai/old Japan feel to it. Bizarre in many ways but utterly engrossing.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is by far my favorite game on the system. It starts out just looking like a cute but super easy Zelda-lite game, but when you unlock the tank battles not too far into the game it becomes one of the neatest experiences I've ever had. The localization is fantastic and kept me chuckling throughout. I had never played a Dragon Quest game before Rocket Slime and that never hampered my enjoyment.
Came in the bring this one up. It's my favourite game of that whole generation. It took me years to understand that it's basically a pseudo-MOBA.

3 - Ace Attorney Investigations 2

The Ace Attorney series can't really be considered niche or hidden, can it? but while the mainline series was successful on the console, the Investigations subseries died in the west after the first entry. The only way you can play this is with a fan translation and, well, pirating the game since Capcom never brought it here. It's a shame, really, because Investigations 2 is imo on the level of Trials and Tribulations in terms of quality, it's the absolute best the series has to offer.
Hear hear. Investigations 2 is my favourite entry in the franchise, and has so much to offer to series' fans. It's a real shame it came out so late in the DS' life. I was hoping they'd maybe do a localisation of the mobile port, but that never came to fruition either.
This was the game that made me learn Shu Takumi's name, and why I'll pay attention to whatever he puts out. I wonder what he's working on right now actually.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sakuranotes

An amazing game, one of the most bizarre, smart and touching stories I've encountered in video games. Directed by Akira Ueda (director of Michigan and Contact), with scenario by Kazushige Nojima (one of his best work, on par with FF7 and Last Ranker) and music by Nobuo Uematsu.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Sooo many.

Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk/Last Window
Ace Attorney series
Ouendan/EBA series
Dragon Quest IV/V/VI
Retro Game Challenge
Ghost Trick
Rhythm Heaven
Jake Hunter

And much more.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked LostMagic. It was a Taito RTS-lite where you directed your own team against the enemy units but also used magic spells that you drew on the bottom screen. The pathfinding sucked but the creativity of using spells for blockades, buffs, and attacks was really fun since you could combine the different shapes to make unique spells. It was also a super early online enabled title though I never got to try it.

I was super disappointed the Wii sequel did not get localized.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
Feel the Magic and it's sequel The Rub Rabbits are great. Early DS was a weird period where devs didn't really know what to make of the touch screen and it lead to some good weird games like those.

There was a pretty by the numbers rpg called Nostalgia that is probably not as good as I remember.
Nostalgio.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons, but two no one mentioned:

Contact

Yeah! Great game. Often overlooked.

Sakuranotes

An amazing game, one of the most bizarre, smart and touching stories I've encountered in video games. Directed by Akira Ueda (director of Michigan and Contact), with scenario by Kazushige Nojima (one of his best work, on par with FF7 and Last Ranker) and music by Nobuo Uematsu.

Ugh. Would love to have played this. Ueda also worked on some kind of space themed RPG for DS but that didn't come out at all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna say Dragon Quest IX's post game.
A load of people dismissed the game because "no story or characters", "it's just a multiplayer game, give me a true DQ", but everything after the credits is phenomenal, and one of the best JRPG experiences you can find.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Most of these are probably pretty well known games but here is my family's take:

For my wife it is Super Princess Peach, that is her most fav game ever! I love it because at the time seeing Mario characters (Goombas etc) animated again in beautiful 2D graphics was really nice! Remember this was before the resurgence of 2D stuff so we hadn't seen them in a long while.

I'm gonna say Retro Game Challenge, what an awesome idea for a game! Really fun.

My brother would say Jump Superstars, he played that game so much. Learned of so many anime guys because of it and ended up watching their shows and becoming fans. Still to this day we're wondering why they can't just make this sort of game again instead of the junk they're putting out.

Finally my Dad would say Magical Starsign! I dunno how or why he even started playing this game but he did and really liked it lol.

Bonus: I'm also going to say Mario Hoops 3 on 3, yea its a Mario game but not one ever talks about it. Has a weird as control scheme and is something I don't think I would like going it but once I got the hang of it I was hooked!

Bonus bonus: My wife would also like to add Peggle because I said I don't think Professor Layton games are 'hidden'. :P

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Lotta love for Henry Hatsworth and Infinite Space makes me really happy.

To add one of my one, Avalon Code was an interesting RPG that tries to do its own thing with its book mechanic, where you basically smack everyone and everything with it to make a magical compendium. It gives you the usual stats/info etc, but lets you modify things within it too based on a number of parameters. You can do nasic stuff like upgrading weapons, but also changing personalities of people or monster stats to solve quests or make things easier or harder for you.

It's a solid 7/10 game otherwise, but nice that it tried something to stand on its own two feet.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
my ds games were fairly standard I must say
but I am curious if anyone else played the king kong game on the DS
Straight up the worst game I have ever played, even seemed like it was only half finished in a whole bunch of places.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I won't repeat much of the stuff that was mentioned. But: Not enough love for Magical Starsign in this thread.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket slime. If you haven't played it, do it, it's got an addictive gameplay and some of the best humor I've ever seen in a videogame.

Most of my other picks have been mentioned already, but Ouendan 1+2 can't be stressed enough.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of games in this thread I wouldn't really consider "hidden" lol.

I would say Rondo of Swords. SRPG with a very interesting "run through" mechanic for fighting (basically you don't attack an enemt as such, you choose a path and any enemy on that path takes damage).
There was also a knockback mechanic, so sometimes you'd get pushed back instead of running through, which could leave you in a lot of trouble.
It also has a meaningful choice a fair way into the game which creates two story branches.

cool game

The Touch Detective P&C's are great too

Last edited:

Beary

May 23, 2018
81RGDAC0g-L._SX342_.jpg

One Piece: Gigant Battle was really good. It's probably one of the best fighting games on the original DS. Nobody talks about this game, because it was never released in the US and even in the EU nobody seemed to have played it, since the sequel was released only in Japan. :(

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Damn! I had no idea. All of these went under my radar. Will check 'em out, thanks!

No problem!

Yamada-kun was a mobile service game that was recently discontinued, I don't remember if they made an offline version or not but the English versions were called Dandy Dungeon & Dandy Dungeon 2, they might still be available if you're lucky.

Million Onion Hotel is a single-purchase mobile game that's still active.

Black Bird just came out on Switch & PC at the end of last year.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Apologies if these have been mentioned already, but I pick Soma Bringer (by Monolith Soft), Nanashi no Game (The Ring, but it's an 8-bit game instead of a video tape) and its sequel, Nanashi no Game: Me.

Besides those, Smash Ultimate brought ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Mistwalker game) to my attention recently. It looks interesting, but I haven't played it yet.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The World Ends With You!
Despite the growing attention it has gotten in the past months, I still think more people need to play this masterpiece.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game like the Legend of galactic heroes anime. I'm thinking of buying this if I can find a copy.

It's similar in a "they're both space opera" way but Infinite Space has much less homoerotic undertone and not nearly as complex political motivations for the conflict. But I would be very surprised if the fleet combat sequences weren't inspired heavily by LotGH. It's one of the best games on the system.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Historia is the best Nintendo DS game and also the best JRPG you never played.
It got a 3DS port recently if you are interested.
Pls buy, thx.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
If you have not played this, buy a DS, get this game, and enjoy. I knew there was a twist in it somewhere, I looked for it the whole time, but when it came I was still surprised.
The best twist is that the final plot twist is the only plot twist not communicated. The entire game is just plot twist after plot twist and I was still unprepared for that. So yeah, its definitely recommended.

Another game I would think is a great hidden gem is Honeycomb Beat:

Great unique puzzle gameplay with a nice amount of levels.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know how 'hidden' Radiant Historia is at this point, but it's a damn tragedy that it isn't one of the most well-known DS games because of just how sheerly good it is.

The true Chrono Trigger successor, and no one batted a damn eye