• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Ginga Force is a Japan-only 2012 shmup release on the Xbox 360 that never got localized and never got ported to PC. It kind of feels like the developer's other Xbox 360 release, Eschatos, got way more recognition (which isn't that much either tbh) together with Cave's 360 releases but this is a very good one too. It has some pretty unique and experimental sequences for a shmup and a pretty deep customization system which makes replaying for whatever currency it used worthwhile. I've been craving a replay lately.

51izYhuIz_2BL_large.jpg

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who liked this game. The sneaking levels sucked, some unskipable cutscenes, etc. but once you played through the game and unlocked the battles in battle mode it was so much fun.

Shadow_of_Rome_cover.jpg

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
215362-Dustforce_Header.jpg

Dustforce is one of my all time favorite platformers I've ever played. Once you get the hang of the controls it is so satisfying. The characters have weight to them and down dashing into slides gains a bunch of speed. The wall/ceiling runs feel so good they are so strong they feel broken. The different smash style attacks feel great. The dust mechanic is brilliant. It challenges you to cover the level but is still forgiving enough to allow you to loop back to get spots you missed without losing your combo. The game is hard. It starts requiring a lot of technical skill to unlock new levels. I hit a wall multiple times while playing, but the game was good enough to keep me coming back.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
2217541-vivisector.jpg

One of the best worst games I've played. It starts so fucking bad, but when it opens is a different beast (heh).
Where is my digital re-release? :(

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Under Siege is a RTS/RTT PS3 exclusive released on PSN. It has a lengthy single player campaign, full multiplayer suite (including custom games), and a powerful editor reminiscent of Blizzard's RTSs. Its probably one of the best controlling RTS/RTT right behind Halo Wars. The campaign is pretty challenging and provides a lot of room for various strategies and tactics despite its smaller scale. Its a pretty well polished game too considering it came from and unknown studio from Portugual. Art style and graphics are really good too.

It didn't light up the charts and I've never heard of anyone else mention this game which is a shame since its such a good little gem.
263564015.jpg

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ps2_rule_of_rose-110280syu.jpg

One of the best survival horror games ever made. Very Silent Hill-like in atmosphere and storytelling. But it came out too late in the PS2's lifespan (it released just two months before the PS3 launched) and ended up getting buried. Because of that it's now super rare and very expensive. English copies go for $150+ on eBay.
Gave that game to my sis when it just came out. Didn't know it was a loli(ish)-game.
She should sell it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2267440-229650-lq_ds_fob_rgb.jpg

Great Tower Defense DS game. Sucked in a lot.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters

Soul_Nomad_%26_the_World_Eaters_Coverart.png

Disgaea's already pretty obscure, so you can imagine how NIS' strange foray into a different blend of tactical RPG madness went. Unfortunate, because Soul Nomad is probably their best game. The writing and voice acting are top notch, the characters are almost immediately lovable, and the gameplay runs the perfect line between accessibility and head crunching depth.

Last edited:

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
The bit Generations games for GBA. I love them for their packaging and their style.

dsc_0050-800x4454soy3.jpg

They're simple and stylish arcade experiences for the GBA, I think they launched around the same time as the GBA Micro, but don't quote me on that. To be frank, I only played/own three of them. Dotstream, which is a minimalist, beautiful and addicting little racing game with a killer presentation. Soundvoyager, a sound game that you can/should play with your eyes closed (headphones required). Boundish is okay, but honestly the least interesting. It's basically fancy Pong versions on a GBA cart. Still a very nice presentation.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Urban Chaos Riot Response

Back when all I had was game cases at blockbuster to judge whether a game would be "good".

Game was fun as hell lol.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
167681-rez-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

One of the most unique and quirky games I've played by a mile.

I still need to get Infinite on PS4.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to decide how obscure something needs to be to qualify.

Kenseiden on the Sega Master System is an excellent samurai horror action-adventure game from almost 30 years ago that still doesn't get enough credit.
Kenseiden_Coverart.png

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Deathrow_%28Xbox%29_PAL_cover.jpg

My favourite sports game ever. You could draw some parallels to blood bowl where you can design fighting teams rather than scoring teams etc, but all in real time.

The single player campaign was great as you made manager decisions and also played the matches.

This game was shockingly good! My favorite sports game as well. Nothing felt better than breaking the opposing team's star player then launching that disc for a half court goal.

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
An MMO developed by ex-WoW devs with a proper evolution of the traditional combat system. It had phenomenal dungeons and even better raids. The races were cool, the locales were interesting, and the story was engaging.

Unfortunately, the game launched as a very hardcore MMO, which drove people off. Despite what people say about loving having to have 40 people to raid, long ass attunement chains, etc... It's all nostalgia. Those kind of things prevented WildStar from ever reaching mainstream success.

Eventually, they relaunched the game as F2P, and despite a massive influx in players, their servers buckled for weeks and the game didn't recover...

Which is why it's even more odd that the Steam launch of the game eventually fell to the same problem. The servers choked under pressure, people got bored of waiting, and moved on.

Now, there's no new content in development and the game is on life support. It hasn't generated a profit, ever, IIRC.

Such a shame.

Cartoony graphics with a tasteless sense in writing (iirc levelling up announcer was just plain stupid) did it in. It wasn't good even when they tried to win people back.

My submission:

220px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

329_2005-03-13screen4_large.jpg

Great beat-em up game that had a cliche story and pretty good combat.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
A little clunky and the Dororo sequences can be a slog, but it has a lot of heart and the "collect your body parts to upgrade" hook is pretty cool. Plus it's based on one of Tezuka's lesser known works.

lqg5z0E.jpg

167681-rez-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

One of the most unique and quirky games I've played by a mile.

I still need to get Infinite on PS4.

Not too obscure considering it's been re-released two or three times since its initial debut.

Oct 31, 2017
The only one I played was C&P because it was a PS+ game and I figured I could platinum it (which I did) but I did enjoy the deduction mechanic once you gathered all clues and interviews.

I have legit never heard anyone talk about Haunting Ground ever. Came out around the tail end of the PS2/GCN gen, unless it was big in Japan or something...

HauntingGround_NA_PS2cover.jpg

I'd probably be talking about it, if it wasn't so fucking expensive :( I really enjoyed Clock Tower 3

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Escape-Velocity-title.png

Escape Velocity. This game came on a Shareware disc my Dad got for his Mac and this game lit my imagination on fire. Pretty sure it draws inspiration from (or rips off) the original Elite series, but just the idea of starting in a tiny little spaceship and through either trade, combat, or special missions, becoming who ever you want to be in a large Galaxy... just so good. The storylines were pretty good as well.

evn_tropes_7287.png

I got the sequel years later and enjoyed it about as much, but nothing has come close to filling that itch since. I've been thinking about Elite: Dangerous, but I've been burned a few times on newer space games.

Also, not sure if it meets the criteria of obscure, but I need a new Custom Robo, like yesterday.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Not super obscure but far less well known than Bubble Bobble or Rainbow Islands, it didn't have an arcade version and I don't think it has ever been re-released since 1992 - Parasol Stars.

bHeMPTal.jpg

Fun fact - the C64 version was cancelled as the wife of the developer destroyed the disks with the in-progress version on.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
36626-Brigandine_-_Legend_of_Forsena_[U]-1497334152.jpg

Sadly the genre also died during PS1 era.
There are still 2d isometric SRPG like Fire Emblem, but one that also features kingdom management are pretty much gone.
Similar game to this is Dragon Force, which is much more known but also pretty much disappeared after PS2 remaster.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

Cosmology of Kyoto

cosmology_of_kyoto_20__full.png

617901-28_activewindow.png

Simply put, there's not a lot else like it. Not so much a "game" as it is an experience, you get to learn a lot about Kyoto history with a first-person adventure interface and an atmosphere that feels straight up like an early survival-horror game, creeps and all (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Team Silent played this at some point and it served as some kind of inspiration for Silent Hill....tho I might be reaching there).

You can play it easily on modern Windows machines w/ a specific image that has the DOSBOX set up to run it, and while I normally wouldn't mention something like that here, it's more or less the only way you're gonna be able to play the game in 2018 unless you want to buy an old DOS machine and fiddle around with the settings for half a day to *maybe* get it running.

Gaiares

2375334-cutscene.png

Gaiares10.jpg

One of the best underknown and obscure games of its generation, and a pretty early release on the MegaDrive at that. Really neat pod-based powerup system where you sic the pod on enemies to obtain their powers, and a VERY challenging difficulty for seasoned hori shmup players. Some really good music, boss designs and a couple neat anime-style cutscenes too.

Sega Water Ski

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

MotorRaidWaterSki_Music_JP_Box_Back.jpg

Most fun w/ a water-based racing game I've probably ever had, tho it's not jet-ski based like say Wave Race. You basically perform tricks by riding on ramps and between buoys. The physics are really solid and the trick system has a nice range of depth to it. Crisp, colorful graphics and some neat touches for surprises you can trigger give it some character.

Juggernaut

hqdefault.jpg

490858-juggernaut-playstation-screenshot-okay-that-sounds-like-a.jpg

A Myst-like clone of sorts on PS1, made by Jaleco. Not the most original gameplay or story, but the gameplay that's there is nice enough and the story is pretty decent. There's a few solid music tracks in there too but mostly towards the last few areas. There aren't a lot of games like this on 5th gen systems and even fewer on later consoles, and I liked the cyberpunk sections the most as they stood out to me pretty well. The body possession mechanic is interesting, tho I don't think it's used to its full potential.

JJ Squawkers

jj-2.png

hqdefault.jpg

Just a buttload of crazy shit and hectic action-platforming mayhem with some of the trippiest visuals you're going to find in a video game. And it's a solid-ass game, to boot.

Galerians

2017-04-01-14_20_34-walkthrough-galerians-ps1-german-part-17-youtube.png

latest

Surprisingly good and barely-known PS1 survival-horror game. Like the little brother of RE and Silent Hill no one really remembers anymore. I like it for its cyberpunk-heavy atmosphere and pretty good story. Definitely worth checking out; when I picked it up off eBay about 3-4 years ago (discs only) it ran me like just $20. Not sure what the prices for it are at now however.

Most of my other pics are probably at least somewhat well known or have a huge cult status these days, like Panzer Dragoon Saga and LSD: Dream Simulator, so they wouldn't really need mention here. There are other very obscure games I need to play, though, and hope to do so soon.

Last edited:

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
You've all heard of Power Blade on NES, right? The Taito action platformer about an Arnold Schwarzenegger knockoff running around with a boomerang? Well, not THAT game! I grew up with the Famicom and played the original game Power Blade was based on: Power Blazer. Aside from the music, everything got changed during localization, from character sprites to level layouts, and instead of a Schwarzenegger knockoff, you played as a Mega Man knockoff (that's him in my avatar). It was also a hell of a lot jankier than Power Blade, but I love it all the same purely out of nostalgia. One of my fave games of all time.

GJ1rC3y.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Galerians

2017-04-01-14_20_34-walkthrough-galerians-ps1-german-part-17-youtube.png

latest

Surprisingly good and barely-known PS1 survival-horror game. Like the little brother of RE and Silent Hill no one really remembers anymore. I like it for its cyberpunk-heavy atmosphere and pretty good story. Definitely worth checking out; when I picked it up off eBay about 3-4 years ago (discs only) it ran me like just $20. Not sure what the prices for it are at now however.

Most of my other pics are probably at least somewhat well known or have a huge cult status these days, like Panzer Dragoon Saga and LSD: Dream Simulator, so they wouldn't really need mention here. There are other very obscure games I need to play, though, and hope to do so soon.

Heck yeah, Galerians. It starts out really good but unfortunately devolves into monotonous combat, but the atmosphere is top notch.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017

It's true. It goes places.

Still have my copy.
A little clunky and the Dororo sequences can be a slog, but it has a lot of heart and the "collect your body parts to upgrade" hook is pretty cool. Plus it's based on one of Tezuka's lesser known works.

lqg5z0E.jpg

Not too obscure considering it's been re-released two or three times since its initial debut.

This game sells for a stupid amount too. I got my copy for around $5. Not sure why it in particular shot up.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Heck yeah, Galerians. It starts out really good but unfortunately devolves into monotonous combat, but the atmosphere is top notch.

I actually got befuddled w/ the first boss b/c it's a complete subversion of what you're taught leading up to it xD. I would love for an indie-style game as a spiritual successor but to fix some of the combat issues, b/c yeah, the atmosphere is on point.

Even the CGI film was entertaining, if not low-budget xD (well, by today's standards anyhow).