• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s your favourite 3D Zelda game?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 262 21.8%
  • Wind Waker

Votes: 167 13.9%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 114 9.5%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 42 3.5%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 617 51.3%

• Total voters

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
As the title says. I've only played and finished two of them, OoT and SS, so I won't be voting. Curious to see where people are at with the franchise right now, especially since BotW has been out for a bit. I'm assuming most people will select it, but I'm open to being surprised. :)

Left off Majora's Mask because...

1) Only 5 options possible on Era polls, so...
2) MM always felt more like an offshoot than a mainline Zelda game to me. So I chose it as the one to leave off

Sorry :-/

Last edited:

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You didn't even put Majora's Mask in as an option.

This is already a catastrophe, and you should feel shame.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is there some sort of joke I'm missing why Majora's Mask isn't on this list?

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild, no discussion possible. The earlier games feel too archaic after.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Used to be Ocarina of Time due to nostalgia, then Wind Waker did a solid job at almost beating that one. But Breath of the Wild is such a massive evolution and expansion to the system and formulas it blew my mind. So BotW.

edit: also lol at missing Majora's Mask.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
You left off literally the only choice for this question.

It goes
MM
OoT
WW
SS
BOTW
TP

that's just the facts.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are by far the best. Tough to choose between them but I'd probably go with Majora.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW and Wind Waker for me. I tried OoT and MM on the 3DS but couldn't get into them. Gave up on TP because I hated the wiimote controls.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Threads a joke without Majora's Mask as an option. Best Zelda period, best game of all time.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
BotW and Wind Waker for me. I tried OoT and MM on the 3DS but couldn't get into them. Gave up on TP because I hated the wiimote controls.
The 3DS version of Majora is greatly inferior to the N64 version, but if you couldn't get into 3DS OOT then you probably couldn't get into either version of MM.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
No Majora. Haha. It's not my favorite, but I find that pretty funny. (Omitting Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword instead would be more understandable as far as I'm concerned.)

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
BotW is the first 3D zelda I've enjoyed. Finding an obvious spot on the wall of a dungeon in 3d space is not my idea of fun.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I feel like Breath of the Wild is different enough that it shouldn't really be called a 3D Zelda. I mean yeah it is both 3D and a Zelda game, but all the other 3d Zelda games have a mold they adhere to which this one doesn't.
also Breath of the Wild easily and it isn't even close

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild is not only the best 3D Zelda, it's the best Zelda game period. Masterclass in game design.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
TP>OoT>BotW>SS>WW

Majora's is actually still the only one I haven't played.

Also, this might be a hot take, but I don't really think BotW should be lumped in with the others. It's a very different game from them. It probably has less in common with the other 3D Zeldas than aLttP has with the 3D Zeldas. It's very much its own thing.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, the recency bias!

Feb 16, 2018
Love them all but I choose Breath of the Wild, it's also my favorite Nintendo game period. I think it's the ultimate adventure game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I picked Breath of the Wild, mostly because right now it's at a tie-point with Wind Waker so I had to view them objectively. Wind Waker has a more lackluster second half, and the HD version is necessary to reduce most of the frustrations, while BotW was pretty much perfect all the way through IMO. So the point goes to that. Even if the DLC kinda sucked.

I'll have to replay BotW at some point this/next year to make sure, though

As for my full list, it probably goes...

BotW > Wind Waker > Ocarina > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess = Majora's Mask

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Restart this thread as "What's the best traditional 3D Zelda?", remove Breath of the Wild and add Majora's Mask.

That would make the thread a lot more interesting.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
First a thread leaves the "New 3DS" off a poll of best 3DS models and now Majora's Mask? Maybe the lesson here is not to make dumb thread polls. I kind of miss GAF for it.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
1. TP
2. OoT
3. SS
4. BotW
5. TWW
6. MM

Although, I do consider Majora's Mask to be a better game than Wind Waker, but MM is the only Zelda game that made me stop playing it for a couple of weeks, so yeah.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
BOTW isn't perfect but everything it did was much better than the stale static and safe messes that were the earlier 3D Zelda game.

I wouldn't call those messes, "safe, "they were anything but, like turning the series into a cartoon in wind waker, alienating a lot of the audience, motion controls in skyward sword again alienating a lot of gamers

Amyway I still stand by my feeings that botw really dumbed down puzzles, dungeons, for mass appeal, so people who aren't really into Zelda games would like it

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Wind Waker
2. Majora's Mask
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Twilight Princess
6. Skyward Sword

Skyward Sword is the only one I didn't even bother finishing. Twilight Princess is too much of a pain to replay. BOTW is really interesting despite its many flaws. The top 3 are all truly masterful.