• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant tell if people genuinely like the Halo AR or if its just nostalgia for Halo thats making them say this.

It has always been just about the worst weapon in any Halo game. AR start MP games were awful. Its boring as fuck to use in SP. And it is the first weapon you swap out whenever you see literally anything else. Even the Plasma rifle is better than that. At least that looks cool.

Absolute garbage tier weapon.

Needler, I can get behind. Nerfle, I can get behind too. But the AR? :/

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's the one in warhawk. I know it looks super generic and boring. I realize this.

But that thing is amazing. The way all the boards are projectile, and the way the spray pattern tightens when you crouch... It was so like, finely balanced or something. Spending hours and hours with that thing felt like you were mastering a katana blade.

One of my most memorable moments ever was the day I could beat back a warhawk with that assault rifle.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I cant tell if people genuinely like the Halo AR or if its just nostalgia for Halo thats making them say this.

It has always been just about the worst weapon in any Halo game. AR start MP games were awful. Its boring as fuck to use in SP. And it is the first weapon you swap out whenever you see literally anything else. Even the Plasma rifle is better than that. At least that looks cool.

I agree 1000000%. It even has shit tier sound effects that make it sound like a toy or airsoft gun. I'll never understand people's affinity for it.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
taylor-kirkham-tkirkham-de-cr-it-side.jpg

strictly from a design standpoint, the assault rifle in deus ex human revolution and mankind divided is just beautiful. the way you reload it also great, i'm usually not into futuristic weapons but deus ex did it perfectly

Oct 27, 2017
MA37 from Halo: Reach. More realistic version of the previous Halo ARs, with much cooler looks and sound. Pity the weapon is a piece of shit in the game...
800px-MA37_Assault_Rifle.png
I always loved that they did a really good job of making it look like a prototype of the other AR, which fit in with the lore that Reach was huge huh for UNSC's r&d.

Anyways since most of my choices have already been suggested, I'd like to add the FR-27 from Deus Ex (HR & MD).
4386abc2df030ac782fda2c300d16ebb.jpg

latest

I've always loved these types of sci-fi looking rifles.

My only complaint about it is that the way the games are designed, you never really get to enjoy the weapons (which especially sux if you have collected the upgrades that let it fire smart flechettes that can move hit enemies in an arc).

EDIT: DAMN YOU LabRat you ninja'd me while I was searching for images.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always loved that they did a really good job of making it look like a prototype of the other AR, which fit in with the lore that Reach was huge huh for UNSC's r&d.
Note that it is not actually a prototype per se, rather it is the first production version in the UNSC AR series.
The Navy and Marines call the weapon MA5 and the UNSC Army (which is featured in Reach) calls it MA37. Presumably the MA37 is the first iteration of the weapon, ie the Marines would call it MA5 or MA5A (though in-game texture calls it "MA5C Mk 4" but those often have some weirdness in Halos, for example the pistol's texture in Halo 3 says M6C even though it is G-model).

A big disappointment in Reach for me is that it doesn't actually show any UNSC prototypes or R&D except for the Forerunner ship they're studying. All human ships and vehicles in Reach are in common use in Haloverse.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

If you werent running this thing 24/7 u were playing the game wrong

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone M82 will always be my favorite. Felt amazing and the reload animation never got old.

^i-Lo with the gif goods up there

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
latest

God I love dual-wielding these. Imo, they're as much fun as the nailgun, the plasma rifle and the autoshotties tbh.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda cheating, but:
Bf4_m249.png

The M249 LMG in Battlefield 4. Great control for an LMG, and colossal 200 round magazine. Was also in BLACK, and it was pretty great there as well.

For something which is closer to an actual AR, the MTAR-21 (my pick for a favorite real world man-portable weapon):
latest

Amazing handling, decent mag size, decent damage, and excellent rate of fire.

Finally, for something which is actually an AR, I always did like the SCAR-H in any game it appeared in (as it did in MW2).
latest

Small mag, but great damage and recoil control.

Also, someone said it earlier, but I also agree with the Resistance Bullseye. Such neat functionality.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017

Needler, I can get behind. Nerfle, I can get behind too. But the AR? :/
yeah, its only decent on easy and bad on normal difficulties and on heroic and legendary worthless

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The ol', reliable M16a3 in Battlefield 3. Thing was a beast in MP.

I also had a soft spot for the F2000 in BF3/4. Great rate of fire, and accurate if you can control it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also stanning for the Killzone M82. It's one of my favorite video game guns period.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Funny story- Sometimes when reminiscing about Blops 1, my friend and will signal to each other and then we will both make our trigger finger curl for the exact amount of time it would have taken to kill somebody with it. It was so fun to use and probably OP, but we enjoyed the hell out of it.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
How many games treat assault rifles realistically by making them true select fire weapons? I remember SOCOM 2 back in the day did, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 as well IIRC.

Realistic use of assault rifles is using semi auto fire, not burst or full auto fire. But then again, infantry combat often takes place at distances of 100 yards or more, which you'd only see in a game like ARMA.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Gears lancer

And the mattock from mass effect which was so OP in mass 2 it broke the game.
Insanity was rendered null

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's just a rifle but I'm counting it anyway, M1 Garand is my favourite gun, it's always just right in battlefield. I still can't believe it isn't in bf5.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Heres one I'm sure hasnt been mentioned- The Copperhead, Uncharted 4. Especially in multiplayer. Love love it! Began with it thinking I'd never master its scope capabilities, but i proved myself wrong, and I'm bad with that gun in my hands.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
latest

Big fan of the XM-8 Prototype in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Bigger fan of the submachine gun varient Engineers got, but hey. It's an Assault Rifle thread.

Special mention to the Blade System Assualt Rifle form from Vanquish. The bread and butter.

vanquish_assault_rifle_by_kevnabo_d6koesv-pre.jpg

And also the Gunblade and Gunblade SP from Lost Planet 2, due to the simple fact that it's also a giant fucking switchblade.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing like the original Halo: CE assault rifle. That damn sound it made is burnt into my memory... love it even though it wasn't the best in-game. It's iconic. Cool look as well.

*BRRRRRT BRRRRRRRT*

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
one of the souped-up Western rifles in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Recoil and jamming is such a huge thing that once you take out some mercs and get a scoped assault rifle (usually making your way to the Scientist's compound), the rest of the game, taking on Freedom and the Monolith just feels like night and day compared to the early maps.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
For sheer power Payday 2 CAR-4
It's just an M4 and a cheap early game weapon but over the years they've added so many attachments and replacement parts for it to the game that you can tune it to excel at anything (except suppression fire). A quick-reloading, accurate, minimal recoil bullet hose, an inconspicuous suppressed weapon for stealth missions, a long range DMR and anything in between.