ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We all get some great videogame idea from time to time, an idea that will probably never be realized. Here are two of my own:

1) A Zelda dungeon.

This idea can be applied to anything, but it came up to me in the form of a 3D Zelda dungeon. You remember the twisted hall from Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple?

FSVvFGB.jpg

That hallway's mechanic is that when you press a switch to twist it or set it straight, it also rotates the next room allowing you to access an entrance or chest that were previously unreachable.

So I thought of something similar, and the mechanic would be a switch to change a hallway and rooms from PSX style graphics (as in low polygons, Standard Definition), to whatever current generation style graphics (High Definition) is available. So, to teach the player what's happening, you start in a hallway with the graphics looking like PSX games, blocky low poly, ugly textures, and as you walk forward, the graphics start to change bit by bit into Dreamcast-level graphics, then Gamecube-level, then finally into HD-level of whatever the system is capable off.

It's important that the graphics be blocky for the following reason: puzzles!

Let's say you enter a room in SD/PSX-style graphics. You see a round indentation on the floor, and you need to fit a boulder there. But due to the low-poly nature of the graphics, the boulder looks like a cube (!). So what you have to do is find the switch to flip that room into HD graphics, and voila, the boulder will be round due to the high-poly count. It also works the other way around: you enter a room in HD graphics, you see a square indentation on the floor, but the object you need to fit on it is round. So you flip the switch and the round object becomes cube shaped.
Another use would be needing to read some clue on the wall, but when you enter the room in SD/PSX-style graphics, the text is unreadable due to the low resolution. So you have to find the switch to flip it to HD so you can read the clue.

Enemies would also be affected by that switch, so you would have to fight enemies in both low poly and HD forms. And in low poly you are unable to defeat some enemies due to not being able to accurately see their weak point or something like that.

2) A 2D Castlevania idea.

Notice that this will not be a Metroidvania-style game.

My dream idea would be a Castlevania 2 style game, that mixes Castlevania 1 and Castlevania 2, but with Rondo of Blood-type graphics. Bear with me here.

What's the difference between CV2 and a Metroidvania? Well, unlike Metroid and all the Metroid-inspired games that tend to have a lot of corridors, vertical rooms, and vertical shafts; Castlevania 2 is more horizontal-leveled with a strong focus on platforming.

For those that don't know, Castlevania 2 takes place a couple of years after Castlevania 1. So, imagine you boot the game and you start in Castlevania 1 like normal. You can ideally go through the game as usual (to the right), finish the game, and not be any wiser (such as people initially not knowing about the inverted castle in SotN). But in the first stage is where the secret lies.

Remember how Dracula's castle in Castlevania 2 matched the castle entrance in Castlevania? Now imagine that you are able to uncover that altar room the same way you do in Castlevania 2 (holy water) and through there is where you trigger more stages or maybe an alternative route in the same castle. Click image for a bigger version.

KvuHovS.png

But wait, there's more! Now that you know about the altar room from CV2 is there, how about the rest of Transylvania? Remember Castlevania's intro?
SJEFsIv.png

Why not turn left at the entrance outside the castle, head towards that gate and walk to the still active town of Ghulash (since Dracula's curse hasn't kicked in yet, everyone's alive).
BTDWwoR.png

Click image for a bigger version.
GynSKUD.png

..and buy something for the item and status screen you didn't know you had before secretly pressing Start and then Select?
Wjm28GP.png

Now, at this point you'll have to beat the Castlevania 1 portion of the game to trigger the curse and be able to enjoy the rest of Transylvania with proper hints, a more logical-connected map design, new areas, new items, new abilities, and multiple playable characters (a la Castlevania 3).

And speaking of Castlevania 3, since those stages are in the Transilvania of Castlevania 1&2 (only 200 years later), how about we could also visit them in an interconnected way, but this time they are decrepit and overrun with vegetation. Maybe some floors have crumbled leading to new areas, and stuff.

3) Nintendo Universe RPG

My favorite Nintendo RPG idea would be one that I've had for decades now. Something multi-verse like Smash Bros, but as an RPG.

You would chose your universe to start with: Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, etc.
Once you pick a character/universe, you start their own individual story in their own world, but a few hours in somehow the character you picked (and friends) get 'sucked in' into another universe, an RPG universe, where you eventually meet up with the other characters from the other universes.

My own twist idea is that depending on the universe you picked, in those initial hours, you play as their original game would have played. For example, if you picked Super Mario, then you play as Mario for a few sidescrolling levels before facing Bowser and then being sucked into the other universe. If you pick Metroid, then you'll a few non-linear areas for a bit. If you pick Star Fox, then you'll play through a few flying missions, etc.

Once you are in the RPG universe, then it's all about meeting the other characters (classic and originals). You could have Ash attack with his Pokemons, or Kirby using the enemy's powers, Mario using his tanooki suit or his RPG repertoire, Link using his usual items or runes, etc. Depending on the universe you picked, you could have events exclusive to that character happen during the game. And once you get to the final battle, before fighting the 'real' last boss, you can fight the big baddie from that character's universe. Mario fights Bowser, Link fights Ganon, Fox fights Andross, etc.

When I thought of this idea I imagined it as an isometric-style RPG like Mario RPG, but I guess nowadays it would have to be a 3D game. I would still hope for an isometric one.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Still pining for that semi-open world, Nancy Drew/Veronica Mars-style mystery adventure game set in a humble town with dark secrets a la Deadly Premonition with a touch of Gone Home where you could explore and talk with its colorful inhabitants and get cool story cutscenes and a compelling storyline and a cinematic atmosphere. From Naughty Dog.

Let's go, Dogs! *whoops*

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sleeping Dogs 2's ideas, mainly. I read the article on Vice Waypoint, and that's basically how I want my RPG, undercover police game to be like. A living worldstate that is independent of the player, but reacts to their actions as well, giving out rewards and consequences for everything they do.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I spent hours making that OP and no one is going to say "wow, those are some nice ideas OP".

:'(

Necromanti

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Souls-esque game set in Ancient Egypt (w/ associated mythology) where you explore pyramids, tombs, etc. modeled on environments like Sen's Fortress/the Tower of Latria in terms of traps and layouts.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
An RPG set in a 60s Star Trek universe where the graphics are amazing but everything is deliberately sixties television show fake looking. The characters are super high quality models but the backgrounds are clearly matte paintings, the weapons are clearly repurposed props from even older shows, the aliens are clearly men in rubber suits. And the story takes itself one hundred percent seriously too.

Lf9fruW.jpg

*picture it as you versus a high level mob

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are some nice ideas op.

they truly are

i was Laughing like an idiot of the low poly puzzles. Those are amazing.

Breath of the wild devs take notes

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I have this really cool idea that I'll probably share here on the weekend. Its a game that should be made by either Harmonix or Ubisoft San Francisco. Real talk, I want to pitch the idea to them lol.

Edit: Ideas I can share now?

Uncharted: Run! for Vita.

Who says Sony gave up on Vita? From Naughty Dog studios comes an action packed Uncharted game exclusively for Vita (and mobiles lol). It's an action packed maze runner, with epic chases, escaping on narrow misses, and arcade style gun play. You can play as one of 30 Uncharted characters, each with their own storyline incorporated into maze running.

Imagine a moment where Sully is chased out of a temple, he slides under a table and jumps out of a window. You run through busy streets, dodging people and the enemies chasing you. After dodging a few alleyways, you find a bike. Common thief got himself in a chase.

You run through mazes and cities, highways and streams, on foot and vehicles. Certain QTE sequences and slo-mo will be used to stylize the game. At the end of the journey, you get to face your rival. Think of it as Street Fighter with whichever character you pick, you have his rival. So e.g. if you started the game as Eddy Raja, you'll face Sully at the end. Etc.

The shooter sequences will be like a third person Time Crisis, with cover based and pop/shoot gameplay. No bullet sponge enemies (except for final boss lol).

There will be epic moments that rival existing Uncharted games. I think it could be a fun semi-linear Uncharted game with loads of replayability and the pick&play that you need from a mobile game.

Or it's just me. Lol.

Last edited:

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy that Nintendo rpg OP.

Mine is a futuristic character action style combat that deals with a story that deals with hard social issues.

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
I want a survival horror adaptation of The Shining. The Overlook Hotel could be an amazing location to design a game around. You switch between Jack, Nancy, Daniel and Hallorann to progress the game.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've always wanted a Mega Man game that bridged the original and X games together.

I doubt I'll ever get it.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've got this great idea for a game ever since I played Kirby Tilt n Tumble. It's just like Kirby Tilt n Tumble, except... No wait, that's it. I just want a Tilt n Tumble sequel.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Still pining for that semi-open world, Nancy Drew/Veronica Mars-style mystery adventure game set in a humble town with dark secrets a la Deadly Premonition with a touch of Gone Home where you could explore and talk with its colorful inhabitants and get cool story cutscenes and a compelling storyline and a cinematic atmosphere. From Naughty Dog.

Let's go, Dogs! *whoops*

I'd absolutely love for that idea to happen since I grew up reading the Nancy Drew novels. :)

Oct 25, 2017
A really indepth, high budget xianxia. I know there are some lower-budget Chinese wuxia and xianxia games...No, I mean a real high budget one.

It could happen in the future, but honestly, the closest thing to what I'm thinking of is Asura's Wrath because of its extreme Buddhist focus.

BH8F5dx.jpg

You know, people who can split mountains with their fists, turtles the size of continents, et cetera.

Not only that, modern stories in this vein almost already perfectly fit the videogame 'framework' in that the characters in these stories have easily defined 'levels' of power, which can directly be translated into videogame terms.

c1HJo1z.png

There's even a 'fast travel' in these stories, stepping on a flying sword and using it as transportation, that also would work great for travelling a more open world.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want a game where everything and everyone is T posing, and i want gta 5 style physics and i want it to be loud and obnoxious.

In all semi-seriousness I wouldnt mind seeing a Venom (Marvel) video game. Free roam, open sandbox, M for mature. Could make it horror themed, dark and gritty + the symbiote distrupting reality for the host (preferable Eddie or Flash).

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
A spy/espionage game where you use a second screen built into your controller to use as a gadget.
- Check surveillance feeds on it
- Call up phones in the vicinity
- Use it to hack computers from a distance and read emails
- Use it as a camera to take sneaky photos

I'm thinking like a Hitman/Deus Ex/James Bond sorta game. Something that made you feel like a spy with a high tech gadget in your hands. If only there was a console that could have provided an experience like this...

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I want a text adventure game set in a royal court where you have to out-politic your rivals and maybe do something for the people. I want it to be full of double-speak and intrigue, passion for the people and grasping self-service. Basically, I want a good court sageuk as a video game.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

These are some nice ideas op.

they truly are

i was Laughing like an idiot of the low poly puzzles. Those are amazing.

Breath of the wild devs take notes

Thanks. Please Nintendo, steal that idea. I won't mind.

Lol m'bad. xD I liked the Zelda one the best, not to mention it makes a decent case for those early 3D graphics that will become nostalgic roses eventually. It sounds like the type of meta thing Kojima or Taro would do.

Now that you mention Kojima, I was thinking about that MGS1 scene in MGS4. I think that's what gave me the idea.

I've always wanted a Mega Man game that bridged the original and X games together.

I doubt I'll ever get it.

Well.... technically there is one: Megaman 2 Power Fighters. Check out this ending where it shows Dr. Wily created Zero.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/a/mm2_3.htm

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem Echoes: Binding Blaze

Basically a remake of FE6 and FE7 combined into one game, although I'd prefer a traditional game, I'd say to keep interest in the fans Awakening and Fates brought in, they could have a more limited pair up system where units from FE7 can have offspring that appear in the FE6 story with skills and stats depending on match ups. This game would obviously be longer since its two games in one, but they basically made two games with Fates... More of a reimagining than a 1:1 ratio update with improved graphics and music.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I want a narrative driven Harry Potter open world rpg. Ever since playing Order of the Phoenix on PS3 (and even the Chamber of Secrets on the PS2) I have wanted a fully realized version of this concept. Ideally, it would be closer to a Persona but in the Wizarding world. Unlike Persona though, classes would be more involved and essential to upping your combat skills early on. Have me be Harry, one of his children, or a new protagonist for all I care, I just want to be a fuckin wizard man.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A 2D Metroidvania with a twist - it's a score attack game. You have a set amount of time & you have to get as many points as possible. As you get higher top scores, you unlock more options that let you progress faster/further than you could before.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
AAA survival horror games that take place place in dark fantasy setting.

over the shoulder camera

short sword and a crossbow are the first main weapons.( combat is slow and not spammy)

the sword's durability points are the the equivalent to a handgun's bullets. What ever you use to restore it is the ammo.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A well made Jurassic Park survival adventure game, in the style of Alien Isolation.

nnEOMJN.gif

At least we're getting Jurassic World Evolution, which does look great.

DPart

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion Original Story by Platinum

Oct 25, 2017
Dungeons and dragons game on the wii u, where the dm uses the tablet, and the other players use wii motes. The dm would Build the game on the tablet similar to Mario maker.

Well I guess they could still do that on the switch.

Sun_Gaming_YT

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
An actual good Super Robot game(I thought of Big O when thinking this up) where you can control the mech's arms with JoyCons and with a good camera where you can see your giant robot(none of this cockpit nonsense).

I want it to capture the feeling of an anime like Big O with powerful attacks that feel like they're actually doing damage.

Not to mention various finishing moves and special attacks that insta-kill below 10% health and do a lot of damage, respectively.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Survival horror Jurassic Park.

Recreate the feeling of the second book. Open world island. Find food, shelter, and the rare precious weapon after your initial deployment supplies run out. Feel legitimately hunted. Discover long abandoned ingen research facilities and breeding/nesting grounds all across the island while you piece together the narrative of what really went down 20 years ago and what your superiors are really after.

Infiltration team of 5 unique characters, with permadeath as you rotate between them.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UN Ambassador: the Game. All talking, all diplomacy. Prooobably all text.

Yeah. That ain't happening. I mean, I'd love it, but the appeal is probably limited to about me and five others. Also, convo systems can be hard to make fun/not feel like you're just choosing from a list of pre-approved choices. 'Cause you usually are.

Online Kaiju Attack game: 50 people in military hardware vs 1 player playing a kaiju

I don't pretend I know how this would work. I just always thought it sounded cool. Evolve eventually came along and kinda sorta danced with the idea, albeit with a markedly different approach and scale.

I want a text adventure game set in a royal court where you have to out-politic your rivals and maybe do something for the people. I want it to be full of double-speak and intrigue, passion for the people and grasping self-service. Basically, I want a good court sageuk as a video game.

Affairs of the Court: Choice of Romance. is kinda close to what you describe. It's a kind of choose your own adventure text game with light RPG stats mixed in. Romance is (duh) a big theme, but there's actually opportunities to scheme, which is pretty rare in games.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Another tab target, hotbar based, class based MMO with heavy PvE focus and only optional world PvP while leveling ala DAoC, WoW PvE servers and RIFT. No realtime button spammy combat, just the old school combat types.

I truly fear the genre is just about dead. Gamers from my generation having fully grown up and or moved on. My favorite genre next to FFTactice/OgreBattle SRPGs. And both of them are on their last legs, just about kaput.

Im looking into X-Com games after being recommended them as SRPG replacements, but honestly gaming is losing a lot of its luster for me as all the genres I really loved die out even as the indie space is as strong as ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Arena shooter, classic style with XP leveling and minimal customization. Main team mode in Capture The Flag. Instant respawn. Grapple hook. AAA developer and a console port retooled for a controller and server support for cross play with all devices with restrictions on KB/M depending on server host.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
An expansive, open world Harry Potter RPG... I can't believe it never happened.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
UN Ambassador: the Game. All talking, all diplomacy. Prooobably all text.

Yeah. That ain't happening. I mean, I'd love it, but the appeal is probably limited to about me and five others. Also, convo systems can be hard to make fun/not feel like you're just choosing from a list of pre-approved choices. 'Cause you usually are.

Online Kaiju Attack game: 50 people in military hardware vs 1 player playing a kaiju

I don't pretend I know how this would work. I just always thought it sounded cool. Evolve eventually came along and kinda sorta danced with the idea, albeit with a markedly different approach and scale.

Affairs of the Court: Choice of Romance. is kinda close to what you describe. It's a kind of choose your own adventure text game with light RPG stats mixed in. Romance is (duh) a big theme, but there's actually opportunities to scheme, which is pretty rare in games.
That's cool. I'm guessing it is a PC game? I'll have to look it up.