• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I recall there were a few titles growing up that I left unfinished despite loving them because my brother finished them before I did.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
That good. I'm sure you'll enjoy MGR once you get used to its quirks. The game is an amazing ride and its combat system is a lot of fun.

Yeah. I owe PlatinumGames's releases a fairer try. I've never liked any of their games, yet I never felt I fully tried any of them, which always felt weird seeing that my favorite video game genre is character action games/hack n'slash or whatever you wanna call them.

The thing with MGR is, as I noted, I've grown so accustomed to dodging, and I rarely use the counter/block mechanics in any game I play. I could go entire games without using it once, so I felt so clumsy the first time I tried it, and I could barely get by.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Some indie game I purchased on Steam a long time ago used the blowing-in-the-cartridge joke twice in a row (once in the dev's logo and once to start the game), so I immediately Alt+F4'd and never launched the game again.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bad camera, controls etc is not irrational or ridiculous.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I can't stand Akira Toriyama's art for some reason. It's an unreasonably strong reaction, too. It's not something I realized the full extent of until I tried Chrono Trigger, but constantly seeing those portraits made me less and less eager to keep playing. I haven't played a game with his art since.

Same here. I can't stand his art and I'll never play a game that uses it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I hate the Batman Arkham series because you couldn't jump in Arkham Asylum (don't know about the others because I never played any of them).
Dropped the game at one point and came back many months later. By that time I've already forgotten the controls. Every time I tried to jump over something by pressing X and Batman didn't jump it made me hate the game even more.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I had to drop Papers Please as I just didn't have the attention to detail to deal with the game. I missed so many little things in that game that basically made it impossible for me to play. Oh, and I did not like how it handled on the Vita (small screen space).

Dec 12, 2017
I tossed Observer this weekend once I figured out it was another "Hide while monster looks around the room for you" game, and not just a cyberpunk detective game.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the only reason but in 3 attempts I just cant get past the character's hair in FFXV, the ridiculous clothes can be changed but I don't think the hair can

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dropped Alan Wake American Nightmare just after the first... chapter(?) because while I was exploring a bunch of rooms, apparently I explored the "right" thing in the "right" room so it instantly kicked me to a new area and new chapter, so I couldn't fully explore the area. Talk shit all you want, but I like to fully explore every nook and crank of a place before progressing.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Dead Island when I found out there was weapon durability and very little ammo – downloaded the trainer and disabled it and then realized the game still sucked after leaving the resort. Partly my fault for lack of research, I was expecting a shooter-type game

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
You are constantly moving, jumping and shooting at a high speed in Destiny with lots of reaction based shots where you just think of hitting a target and do it rather than spending time fine tuning your aim.
While I agree that their criticism of aim assist was misguided, in most cases moving and shooting are two separate actions in Destiny because it's literally impossible to do anything at high speeds while aiming down sights.
Destiny also has the most aggressive and intrusive aim assist I've ever seen in a video game. There aren't many things that feel worse in a game than having your crosshair flung across the room because it happened to land on a jumping enemy.

BaneofSakurai

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
Enter the Gungeon- After 3 hours "I'm making zero progress, rooms keep changing for no reason, not having fun. I've gained and learned nothing. What is this shit?", proceed to google and learn about rogue-likes, delete

Dead Cells- After 3 minutes, "oh it's a rogue-like?" delete

Flinthook- After 30 seconds, "oh it's a rogue-like", delete.

Moonlighter- Before I start the game "oh it's a rogue-like", delete

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I guess RDR2. I got into a gunfight and killed a bunch of people, then when I went to loot all their bodies I realized how fiddly and tedious it was and I literally turned off the game right then and sold it the next day.

Personally I don't think giving up a game for bad controls is either "irrational" or "ridiculous" but I'm sure a lot of people will.

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018
This may or may not be irrational/unreasonable but I don't like how long the runs in Dead Cells are. So far my loop in this game has been playing for 10 minutes, dying and then going "Do I want to go through all that again? Not really."

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of anything so superficial/silly to make me quit... it's always because I'm not having fun or I feel the game has defeated me, which is the furthest thing from those descriptors. :)

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Got turn of the Trines games because of the art style, don't really know why

Have tried Uncharted 1, stop playing when I got the first shot part
"This isn't a Adventure/Action game, this is a freaking Shooter game where I shot at peoples"
Never played the rest of 1 or the other games because of that for Drake DOESN'T FEEL like that kind of trigger happy guy that kill with guns

Oct 29, 2017
Two of the main reasons i stopped playing Horizon Zero Dawn:

• For some reason every few seconds the camera will slowly move to the left and stay in that awkward position until you start aiming again.
  • The UI in the game is absolutely horrendous and there is way too much shit on the screen at once. Who needs that much information?
Those two things alone drove me away from the game.

...every single HUD element can be turned off/modified

Do gamers never check option settings or something?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I quit playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown on the Xbox 360 because I noticed that it doesn't track time played. I don't know, I want that out of a game like that so I figured I'll rather get it on Steam some day. I know, it's a weird reason.
haha it's weird, but actually I understand. I like seeing statistical metrics of my game playing habits

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Whenever I moved the camera in the original Bayonetta, it seemed like it would only last for a few seconds before the game moved it back to what it considered to be the "better" angle. I stopped playing the game over this.

It was fixed in Bayonetta 2. It still happened, but less frequently and more intelligently.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped Sunset Overdrive because the beginning tutorial seemed to complicated.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I thought Horizon: Zero Dawn was the most mediocre game I played. Open world, check. Enemy forts to liberate, check. Hunting animals to gather resources, check. Crafting system for everything, check. Subpar combat that makes you look like a badass while only pushing the counter button, check.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I dropped Zelda BOTW due to the weapon durability. I also hated the fact there was no cookbook to remember what ingredients made what dish.

Last edited:

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Prey (2017), after my first death came at the hands of some creature I never even laid eyes on: walking along, red flash, dead... just over an hour into the game. Way to teach your game's internal logic organically, I thought, by making my first death a complete and utter mystery.

What? Were you walking around with 5 HP or something? As far as I know, nothing in the game can kill you in one hit unless you're playing on the highest difficulty.

Three days later I've completely forgotten they exist. Not out of malice or anything, I just...don't come back to them.

That's neither irrational nor ridiculous. It just means the games didn't provide any hooks to keep you playing.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I regularly bounce off of games with ugly / bad UI and fonts. Silly maybe, but it haunts me.

I just tried the game on switch and it's not fixed, and a free camera is not the solution.

Yeah, I played that the other week as well and one of my first impressions was that the camera was just not good.

That reminds me, I quit Darksiders II after a while because the camera was just too damn slow. It frustrates me to this day. I want to go back to it but I can't. It's glacial.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced of onrush because there is no traditional racing in it. Took me 20 min to realize.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The usual cycle is:
1) Fifa demo released
2) Try demo and really like it
3) Buy game
4) Actual game is frustrating as f*ck
5) Drop actual game after 1 month

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Got stuck on a centimetre high rock for a second in the opening minutes. UNINSTALLED.

Witcher 2 - Couldn't lock-on strafe. UNINSTALLED.

Fortnite - BR release date. Got to the menu. Liked the music. DELETED.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really invested in Borderlands 2 back in the day, played through the first DLC too when it dropped on the Season Pass which I bought on trust alone given how enjoyable the DLCs were for the first game. Then they announced there will be DLC outside of the Season Pass, many of them in fact, including a level cap increase. I never touched the game or any other Borderlands game again. Respecting your customer's time and money is key for me, if they fail to do that I quit the game, simple as that.

You could argue something similar happened to me with the first Destiny, but that was actually a more complex situation. I was addicted to the game, spent close to 200 hours on it in the first 2 weeks or so. You may remember that the final levels were a fucking chore, you had to grind your ass off all week to make minimal progress towards better weapons and such and then have a once a week (per character) chance to get a good item from the raid, hoping it wasn't a duplicate or a fucking shader again. So me and my crew were exploiting the progression system wherever possible, like the infamous loot cave or that mission on the moon where you were swarmed by enemies at the start, so we'd kill ourselves and try again every time for faster looting. When Bungie made a point of patching out these "exploits" without improving the progression system, I decided to call it quits and never touched the game again. We were grinding because the game's progression system is broken, artificially slowed down to hide the fact there was in fact no endgame. Since they patched out the medicine and not the sickness, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. But then again in that case I was feeling worn out by the game for a bit already, I just needed that last push by Bungie to make me stop caring. Good decision in hindsight.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I stopped playing Battlegrounds because it gave me the shits. Could only play 1 game a day as it was so intense for me that midgame I had to take a shit. Every goddamn time.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
Ditched Nier Automata after a few hours because the PC version is stuttering just the right amount to upset me, even with the mod to fix it.

Oct 27, 2017
I bounced off Child of Light thanks to the unpleasant art direction. The text boxes had the directional lines overlapping overlapping the outlines which I intensely disliked.

Silly reason I know, but there we go.

Child-of-Light-Header.png

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Can't stand playing the Pikmin games because seeing these cute little creatures get killed is just too much for me.

Nov 4, 2017
I ditch a lot sandbox games if the driving physics are bad. Dropped Sleeping Dogs because the driving was worse than PS2 GTA.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is bouncing off a game because it has too long of a tutorial consider irrational? Persona 4 Golden is that game for me....i can see that game appeals to me, the art, music, style and battle system seems fun but the beginning is so drawn out with the tutorial, school and introduction of systems that makes me zoned out to the point of nope.

Apr 25, 2018
Only a temporary example but I loaded up Splatoon 2 for a quick game yesterday after not playing for a few months but turned it off again after 2 minutes of fastforwarding Pearl and Marinas announcements. I just got irrationally impatient and annoyed with it for delaying me from starting the game. Someone will probably tell me there's a way to skip it now, lol.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I quit Disgaea 1 after losing Flonne before main battle. She was my healer and nuker at the same time and I had invested so much time on her. I was screwed so badly, I straight up quit.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I quit Red Dead Redemption 2 Online after seeing the pitiful starting clothes.

I just assumed I was in for a grind-fest and didn't find it worth my time to find out.