• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Kotor 2
So much was cut so they could rush the game out, and yet still the game is phenomenal. It could have been a masterpiece. The ending suffers a lot because of it.

It is still one of my favourite videogame stories, even without the mods.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I see, you are trolling

Nah. It's just that the first thing that came to mind when I first heard the quote from Staten was that there is some kind of situation where something needs to be blown up, some sort of generator or enemy (Gravemind). In order to blow it up you need to drop the bomb into a deep hole which then leads into a tunnel which is infested with enemies and then you get to the objective that needs to be blown up.

It wouldn't be enough to throw the bomb down there since the objective is at the end of the tunnel and any regular marine would not survive the drop. Miranda picks Master Chief as the prime candidate but instead of giving him the order she just straps the bomb to his back and shoves him down the hole while he is standing near the edge.

I never thought that she would have a motive or blame the chief for her father's death.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This person summed it up pretty well.
I'm with ya on that one.

paraphrased - one of the concepts floated for the Reaper's motivation, was that intelligent sentient organics would often advance to tiers of technological understanding that would enable them to utilize dark energy and biotics, but in ways that ultimately accelerated universal entropy. Reapers, being effectively immortal, would seek to prevent that status quo with culling cycles. Additionally the Reapers may have theorized ways to stave off or prevent the eventual heat-death of the universe through the utilization of dark energy and biotics, and would stamp out races and civilizations that misused the tech, to enable the eventual rise of a race or civilization that would understand and utilize dark energy and biotics as such.

It would have been a challenge for the writers to work all that out in a way that felt interesting and natural and also accessible to players who aren't into harder sci-fi concepts, but IMO even a botched telling of that story would have been better than what we got

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
200px-Papermario3dsmole.png

Chain chomp partner in Paper Mario?

Dark Energy plotline. Basically, the overuse of Element Zero was destroying the galaxy and the Reapers were looking for a solution to stop it. They were harvesting species to slow the destruction of the galaxy and to harvest more knowledge in an attempt to stop said destruction.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
3 come to mind.
FFXV's Cancelled DLC episodes - These episodes would have fleshed out some characters as well as give us a 'true' ending to the game (in case you are unaware FFXV's ending almost feels like a bad ending and the true villain never gets dealt with).

Dragon's Dogma cut content - As people stated it would have had you going to the moon, a MUCH bigger open world, shared multiplayer dungeon and much more. Game was insanely ambitious, here's hoping for a Dragon's Dogma 2 where Itsuno gets the time and budget the game deserves.

Vanquish - Apparently there was an originally gonna be a robot dog companion that would assist you. Additionally the robot dog could combine to your suit for some kind of powered up state. Sounded hype.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
That gameplay in the city in Halo 2. If only for the stategy that the covenant had. Walking in line with those shields, man it is something i want to see in any future Halo.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
It was later flat out said by the director that they decided against DMC and GnG characters in particular for TvC in the end because they wanted to save them for MvC3. (Which IIRC, started production around the time that the arcade version of TvC released in Japan)
Yeah. I wonder if Capcom's Fighting All Stars had something to do with TvC as well. Some of the characters from that game actually either made it into it (Alex, Batsu) or almost made it in (Strider, Haggar, Akira, Nash)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah. I wonder if Capcom's Fighting All Stars had something to do with TvC as well. Some of the characters from that game actually either made it into it (Alex, Batsu) or almost made it in (Strider, Haggar, Akira, Nash)
And they used Ingrid as a test character model too, if memory serves right.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The Quarian Ark DLC, but even the planned MP DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Really not happy about how Andromeda turned out, eventhough the gameplay/combat is extremely fun.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
All the cut shit from Wind Waker

coulda had the GOAT if the 2nd half of the game was as good as the first.

Sep 20, 2018
Oooh, so hard to choose!

First, since it's my fav game, I'd have to go with the cut levels from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. One would have seen you fighting with Cap on the beaches of
Normandy (later retrieving his body from the Arctic). There were also cut levels in the Negative Zone, a cut Baxter Building base, and a few other areas. Really I just want more of that game. The cut characters, thankfully, have been recreated with mods, but the cut levels, it seems, are lost to us. Some sound files of the Cap Arctic mission are still in the game:

www.youtube.com

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Unused Mission Dialogue (Hawkeye and Black Widow)

Unused mission dialogue of Hawkeye and Black Widow from Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. It sounds like these were planned for a mission where you rescue Captain A...

Second, a more minor one, are the cut weapons from DMC5- a saxophone Nevan-like weapon, ice skates, gymnastics ribbons. I hope they'll appear in a Special Edition. Talked about in this topic: https://www.resetera.com/threads/dm...n-more-ideas-from-itsuno.79742/#post-14744406.

Third pick would be Twilight Princess' beta content (the forest, more interactions with animals, that cool giant forest ape thing): https://www.unseen64.net/2008/06/02/zelda-twilight-princess-beta-analysis/

Fourth would be Bioshock Infinite in any stage of development other than the one we got, whether it's "rapture in the clouds"-style or some earlier style: https://kotaku.com/this-is-bioshock-infinite-how-it-used-to-look-and-how-5781199

Lastly, while it's not cut content, Epic Mickey's original art promised something far different from what we got (and yes, I realize due to Disney being in control it probably never would have gone there): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QSo61H1Vsw

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Ship buying and selling in Skies of Arcadia. Granted, the Delphinus was amazing, but I'd like to see this feature in a sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
There was a sword fight intended for for flashbacks in Uncharted 4, during the break in chapter between Nate and Sam, which would foreshadow the final boss fight mechanics. It was cut due to time constraints. Would have been a fantastic inclusion.

But more than anything I would love to know what the development version of Ocarina of Time looked like. That's some real video game history.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Everything cut from Halo 2. The Covenant Ship and Forerunner Tank levels. The original ending on Earth. The portion shown at E3 2003. If there was ever anything working of Warfare mode or Saved Films.

The Guardian Forest level from Halo 3.

The level from Halo: Reach where you were going to control a Scarab. Bungie had a prototype of it working.

The Halo: Chronicles prototypes.

The crazy Ryan Payton prototypes for Halo 4.

I heard about this rumor. Not sure if it's true, but I think it wouldn't have made sense, based of what we knew. How would Miranda know Chief killed her father and why would she think he intentionally killed him.

It's true. Joe Staten has talked about it a couple of times, including before the game came out.

He and Jason Jones talked more about it in the developer's commentary for Halo 2:

There's a little more at the 51:00 minute mark.

Apr 27, 2020
Arthur has unique dialog when you could glitch him into that part of the map. Also, it's said there was a second love interest for him besides Mary that was cut.

I believe it was Sadie and that it was supposedly cut because it didn't feel right having Sadie go on a revenge trip for her husband, then having Arthur form an romantic relationship with her.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
The Curse of Monkey Island's final sequence feels very disjointed, it's missing a cutscene for how Guybrush ends up in the
rollercoaster

There was also supposed to be a musical number for the ending with Guybrush and Elaine.
Lechuck
also just infodumps you for like 15 minutes if you exhaust all his dialogue options. The last two chapters of the game in general are really short.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, Vegeta's Final Flash sequence... Trunks SS1.5....

I hoped they didn't rush the Cell and Buu's sagas.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

On the one hand, there's some really cool stuff we didn't get to do in SR1.

On the other, IF everything worked as originally intended, we would not have had the sequel hook, and no brilliant storytelling of SR2 and Defiance.

We would, though. It's a really common misconception.

Amy Hennig said:
To hit the August '99 release date, we had to cut the last few levels of the game, and end on a cliffhanger that set up Soul Reaver 2. Originally, Raziel was going to hunt down and destroy all of his former brothers as well as Kain – and then, using his newly-acquired abilities, he would've activated the long-dormant pipes of the Silenced Cathedral to wipe out the remaining vampires of Nosgoth with a sonic blast. Only then would he realise that he'd been the Elder God's pawn all along, that the purging of the vampires had devastating consequences, and that the only way to set things right would be to use Moebius' time-streaming device to go back in time and alter history (in the sequel).

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I want to see what the original developers of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PlayStation [1] had in mind for the area accessible via the trapdoor at the castle gate. There's a save point you can glitch your way into, and the developers of the Saturn version created the Underground Garden to fill that space in, but I really want to see what the area was supposed to look like before it was canceled. I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of unused content on the disc, and some of that was worked into the Saturn version, I believe.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Caesar's Legion content for Fallout New Vegas. A very shallow faction compared to the NCR who have quests pertaining to them up the wazoo. You cut yourself off from a decent amount of content by joining the Legion.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Tatsunoko vs Capcom was going to have Nurse Witch Komugi-chan and Phoenix Wright as DLC among others, but they all got scrapped.
tvsckutout550x348-1200x800.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
(Reaction pic)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
We would, though. It's a really common misconception.
Would that have worked without Elder Kain, though?
I mean, Kain's speeches in SR2 are the best game writing ever. Would they really have been there if Kain was dead, and Raziel had to figure stuff out on his own?

I dunno. I'd have loved to see more done with the Hidden City and other levels; but I also love the story we have, and so much of it hinges on Raziel getting over his hatred, largely through Kain's amazing monologues.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Would have loved to see the Crane Sequence at the end of Scotland in Uncharted 4, supposedly it was super impressive. Shame it got cut because I do feel the game needed one more big showcase in terms of another flashy set piece.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Would that have worked without Elder Kain, though?
I mean, Kain's speeches in SR2 are the best game writing ever. Would they really have been there if Kain was dead, and Raziel had to figure stuff out on his own?

I dunno. I'd have loved to see more done with the Hidden City and other levels; but I also love the story we have, and so much of it hinges on Raziel getting over his hatred, largely through Kain's amazing monologues.

Soul Reaver 2 was a time travel game, so I could easily have seen them simply inserting younger, time-travelling instances of Kain to perform the same scenes with Raziel, looking to undo his future death in the original game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Soul Reaver 2 was a time travel game, so I could easily have seen them simply inserting younger, time-travelling instances of Kain to perform the same scenes with Raziel, looking to undo his future death in the original game.
yeah, but Young Kain is an arrogant asshole.... lol.

*shrug* It's hard for me to be objective about this; I love all LoK games to death, each for different reasons.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Crash's PS2 era is rife with cut content, Crash Nitro Kart at a point was supposed to have an online hub and CTR's entire track roster reimagined to the new style of the game. Twinsanity was supposed to have complete chapters and fleshed out areas that are never touched upon in the final release of the game, there's tons of potential if they ever go back to it

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but Young Kain is an arrogant asshole.... lol.

*shrug* It's hard for me to be objective about this; I love all LoK games to death, each for different reasons.

It's time travel. One can still include the same old Elder Kain, just time travelling a short while before his death to set everything up (perhaps as if that's what he was even doing there at the Chronoplast in Soul Reaver to begin with – preparing a way out of his impending doom). One could also include scenes with a visibly younger but still mature Kain who's also time travelling, or with the even younger, more douchebaggy version who isn't. Have Raziel run into different instances of the character at different stages of enlightenment, both of them time travelling, maybe an older Raziel even being the one to teach a younger Kain a few lessons about causality in the process.

I understand, and love the games as they are, but there were even more interesting storytelling possibilities left untapped by the cuts, to me. I don't think they would ever have created a sequel without including Kain and building on the intrigue he left behind.