• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TK-1.png

At a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday, the director of phenomenally successful anime hit Your Name revealed not only the title of his new anime movie, but also an outline of its story, the lead voice cast members, and even the release date.

Shinkai was also asked if Radwimps, the Japanese rock band that produced Your Name's instantly recognizable and insanely catchy soundtrack, will be involved. "I can't comment on who's doing the music," the director said, but he did give an even more desired piece of information: Weathering with You's theatrical release date in Japan, which is July 19, 2019.

SOURCE

Your Name is one of my favorite movies of all time, a piece of media that managed to hit me in a way few things in my life have, so I really am looking forward to this new movie. I hope it gets a western release soon.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone who speaks Japanese 天気の子 (I've been learning recently) translates to Weather Child essentially right? So is the title Weather Child: Weathering With You?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I might be in Japan in July. My wife and I loved Your Name...my wife speaks Japanese but do they ever have English subtitles in Japanese theaters?

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Sophomore slump or no?

(I know it's not his second movie but it might as well be.)

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a Shinkai fan since Voices of a Distant Star, I'm so excited about his massive success and looking forward to his next film!

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been a Shinkai fan since Voices of a Distant Star, I'm so excited about his massive success and looking forward to his next film!

I loved Voices of a Distant Star (and She and Her Cat!) but I remember not really clicking with 5 Centimeters Per Second or The Place Promised in Our Early Days (which I actually forgot I had even seen). I feel like it took him until Your Name to learn to temper his overriding emotionality with humor and lightness.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh please no. My Spotify is 90% 90s Rap and the rest is the OST for Your Name.

My Spotify will get a good hit again, bring it on.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So fucking in when this hits the West. Your Name is magical.

Also, while I'm here: I have a friend who would enjoy Your Name but is too slow a reader for subtitles (at the same time as catching how beautiful the film is to look at, at least); how's the dub? Didn't they do some weird stuff with the music?

How many times will I cry?
Until you have no more tears left.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
So anyone who speaks Japanese 天気の子 (I've been learning recently) translates to Weather Child essentially right? So is the title Weather Child: Weathering With You?

Tenki can also mean "good weather" depending on the context. I'd say this is more that, so "Child of Good Weather" or "Good Weather Child".

Idk what "Weathering with You" is supposed to mean lol. Maybe a play on words that doesn't come across quite right, or even something like "enjoying good weather with you" or some shit.

Edit: Could just be "weather child" though. Hard to say without knowing the story. Maybe she can control the weather?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So fucking in when this hits the West. Your Name is magical.

Also, while I'm here: I have a friend who would enjoy Your Name but is too slow a reader for subtitles (at the same time as catching how beautiful the film is to look at, at least); how's the dub? Didn't they do some weird stuff with the music?
Dub is amazing. Not as great as the original voice track, but really good.
The music was dubbed into English for the dub, but it was performed, written, and recorded by Radwimps themselves under Shinkai's oversight, so it's still "as the creator intended", so to say.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Tenki can also mean "good weather" depending on the context. I'd say this is more that, so "Child of Good Weather" or "Good Weather Child".

Idk what "Weathering with You" is supposed to mean lol. Maybe a play on words that doesn't come across quite right, or even something like "enjoying good weather with you" or some shit.

Edit: Could just be "weather child" though. Hard to say without knowing the story. Maybe she can control the weather?
Weathering in this context could be read like "suffering" or "dealing with". As in, "We'll weather the storm together." That'd be my guess, at least.
Dub is amazing. Not as great as the original voice track, but really good.
The music was dubbed into English for the dub, but it was performed, written, and recorded by Radwimps themselves under Shinkai's oversight, so it's still "as the creator intended", so to say.
Awesome to hear. Thanks!

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Man, some anime directors really fall into a niche and stick with it, don't they? Shinkai always doing bittersweet stories of adolescent love, Hosoda doing movies dealing with family, time travel, and animal people. It feels like there aren't many anime movie directors right now who have as good a variety of films as Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, some anime directors really fall into a niche and stick with it, don't they? Shinkai always doing bittersweet stories of adolescent love, Hosoda doing movies dealing with family, time travel, and animal people. It feels like there aren't many anime movie directors right now who have as good a variety of films as Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

Kon's passing is still fresh to me. I'm actually watching Tokyo Godfathers on Saturday as part of my annual Christmas rotation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shinkai is still (relatively) young, and he has already experimented with his voice, tone, and subject matter a fair bit. I am sure we will see him branch out even more some movies down the line.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
Shinkai is still (relatively) young, and he has already experimented with his voice, tone, and subject matter a fair bit. I am sure we will see him branch out even more some movies down the line.
It will probably be movie that explores with emotional distance against a creative barrier of physical distance.

Many directors both young and older will retread themes throughout their career; It doesn't make their body of work worse or better. If you had to guess what Miyazaki has to say about war and environmentalism, you probably know the answer from any of his movies.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo let's fucking gooo

Didn't like the stuff I saw from Shinkai prior to Your Name, but Your Name was so good that I'm absolutely psyched for this now

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your Name was a somewhat entertaining piece of anime filmmaking mostly due to its unique premise, but overall it pales in comparison to recent-ish films like Princess Kaguya or even Wolf Children.

I remember reading that even Shinkai felt a bit bad and baffled by Your Name's crazy performance. Whether that pushes him to pursue the same level of mass appeal in his next project or try and prove he's up there with the greats is what I'm interested in finding out. I've watched most of his works and while some I enjoyed quite a bit even more so than YN, I'm still waiting for Shinkai's first great film.

Looking forward to this.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I preferred Your Name to anything of Hosoda's, but it's flat out unfair to compare Shinkai to a guy like Takahata.

I should note that I would place Hosoda's films above most of Shinkai's other work, but Your Name resonated.

ps Memories is deeply underappreciated.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God, I'm still recovering from when I saw Your Name about a month ago. I am both ready and not ready.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sounding kind of like it's going to be a fantasy akin to Children. I really, really hope this turns out better than that attempt.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Finally he goes full Clouds the movie lol.

Anyway looking forward to it. I've enjoyed all his movies, feels like he's on the same wavelength with me XD

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am interested, I thought Your Name was good but was too similar to Makoto's previous works especially 5 centimetres per second.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Voices of a Distant Star (and She and Her Cat!) but I remember not really clicking with 5 Centimeters Per Second or The Place Promised in Our Early Days (which I actually forgot I had even seen). I feel like it took him until Your Name to learn to temper his overriding emotionality with humor and lightness.
I haven't seen Your Name yet but this is good to hear... I also really liked Voices of a Distant Star, but have been underwhelmed by his movies since.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it turns out better than Fireworks, not that that should be hard.