• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
When I had my E7 and did not have burn in, but I did have image retention which scared the crap out of me It took about a week for it to be completely gone and not visible, but it did go away. The bad thing was that for that entire week whatever I watched or played I could see that image. To the OP points, it was a yellow and specifically on Xbox One the Cuphead game tile when in the dashboard. I had my Xbox on the dashboard and got a phone call, I was away from the set for about 20-30 minutes and I was using the dark theme, so the back round was dark with that bright yellow Cuphead logo. While it was not permanent it does show that Yellow is tough on OLED or at least my 2017 model. I do also have to say I did not have this issue again as I was a bit more careful and the small temp IR I had after was only present for a very short time. I would still buy a OLED but know that you do have to be careful, especially with bright yellow/orange.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
OLED is an overrated technology. Burn in and quality degradation over time are a serious issue (but there are also others like peak brightness and color accuracy). Marketing has been able to pass the message that all that matters is a perfect black level but it's not like that.
Even the screen of my Samsung S9+ bought last March is already having zones with different brightness and the keyboard outline and the notifications on top are already burned in on a white background...in less than a year of usage.
The future will be about quantum dot LCDs with per pixel backlighting so basically microled, not oled.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fall asleep like a baby in front of the youtube play button on dark screen 3 days a week.

I enjoy the piece of mind of the ks8000 after plasma, but there are trade offs

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in the camp where even if I got burn in I would just buy another one lol. They look so amazing. So far though, been using my B7 as a PC monitor, for HUD heavy games, and for movies for 16 months now. 4500 hours on the panel. Clean as a whistle still. Really seems like luck of the draw.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That's not the ONLY thing you have to worry with OLED. Look up vertical banding...very sorry to have brought this up to you OLED folks. (you will have it)

This! While I would still buy another OLED, vertical banding was an issue on my E7. On a LED I can test for banding and know within an hour if it has banding. When I got my E7 it looked bad but there is a break in period and it improved dramatically after the first 100 hours of use. But the banding I had was something I never say until a few months after my return window and it was with Early Evening/Night time scenes with Sea of Thieves. Then I tried a few other games that had similar time of day like Sea and also noticed it. Unfortunately it was well beyond my return window. I do know that the 2018 models were much better, but like ANY TV banding can be an issueand it is not as quickly noticed on a OLED like a LED.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I hope, as OLEDs become more common, content creators start accounting for them. Not in a way that's a major material impact, just things like network logos in the corner being a neutral, semi-transpsrent color (some stations already do this, but others have really bright colored logos).

I'd also like to see more games offer an immersive mode like God of War, where the UI disappears until your swipe the TouchPad or something.

Sports are still a major risk because of the score boxes and score/news tockers. I just don't watch sports on my OLED, for the most part. I just use my LCD for that.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
On 2018 models the burn-in is practically a non-issue now, and with the perfect-blacks and all it's by far the best tv tech.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have a stripe of burn in on my LCD, like your parents have on their TV. It's not as big, though, and the TV is older. It's been there for a while and I'm not sure of what caused it.

It's disappointing to hear that modern TVs still deal with this.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This is another thing you shouldn't go looking for unless you have it apparent in normal content.

The 9500s were the worst but from the C6 and onward it's been so improved it's a non issue for the most part
While it's true it's not evident in 90% of the content, once you see it....you cannot unseen it.

Specially when you watch scenes that have grey ish backgrounds like a foggy day scene. It will stand out for the brief of time and it will bug you.

For me, there is a BF1 lever where it's night and foggy and moving the camera certain ways, I could see it.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the reason I won't play Bloodborne on my OLED. No dynamic HUD option is a bummer

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most led TVs I witnessed at friends places had massive clouding and uniformity issues. I guess one has to pick his poison but IQ is worth any kind of burn in risk. I mean just watch that video posted in this thread. Whoever watches cnn 24/7 for a year probably deserves burn in.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
The burn in is not a widespread issue like people think. More common in older models.

Having said that ,it might happen.

I have mine for over year, 65 B7, zero issues, put over 93 hours on red dead redemption 2, no issues.

Led does not even come close. You need to make a choice : choose one technology with no burn in, but other issues like backlight bleed, clouding, crushed blacks, or oled, with its own issues such as potential burn in and verticals banding.

Once a TV does what my OLED does , call me again ( see picture below) . Until then, I will stick with my OLED.

Took this picture from my phone, directly from tv, zero filters. Deep black, absolute black, no backlight issues.
Dolby vision and oled is out of this world.

tv2.jpg

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to go looking for issues on my B6. I watch all kinds of content on it. My kid watches a bunch of shows on Nick and the like. I don't see any issues when normally watching content, so why would I go out of my way to potentially find a problem by putting up a solid color screen, something I'd never do in a real situation when using the TV?

Your best bet if you're really concerned about this is to buy an OLED from a place that honors burn in on their warranty (i.e. Best Buy), or just going with a LED. There are use cases where that tech may be better for some folks.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
On 2018 models the burn-in is practically a non-issue now, and with the perfect-blacks and all it's by far the best tv tech.
Maybe too soon to tell on those models. As they age and get used more it'll be more clear how prevalent these issues are.

My Panasonic ST50 plasma TV is finally showing its age, with slight burn in where subtitles show up and a mild yellow patch on the right side that I only notice on a bright white screen. The TV is 8 or 9 years old at this point (I think) and has absolutely been the best TV I've ever owned. I'm looking to replace it this year, and OLED seems go be the only kind of TV that comes close to the black levels, contrast, and viewing angle of my current set. I have a separate LED in my office that I use as a monitor and for gaming purposes , but the image starts to wash out when you're at a 20% angle and just gets worse from there. It seems like OLED is worth the cost even if you have to replace it every 5 years or so.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I believe Best Buy's protection plan is one of the few (maybe the only?) That covers burn-in. I plan on getting a 2019 OLED from them. May cost more but it's cheaper than replacing a TV. I want the best picture but I also don't plan on replacing for a long time.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These threads always devolve into people who realize they have IR and burn-in because they went looking for something to complain about.

If you can't/didn't notice while actually using the TV, quit whining. Sheesh. My C8 hasn't had any issues in the 4 months I've had it, and I guarantee I'm not about to go look for banding or whatever the fuck else could be going on with it. I didn't buy it to criticize it, I bought it to use it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
These threads always devolve into people who realize they have IR and burn-in because they went looking for something to complain about.

If you can't/didn't notice while actually using the TV, quit whining. Sheesh. My C8 hasn't had any issues in the 4 months I've had it, and I guarantee I'm not about to go look for banding or whatever the fuck else could be going on with it. I didn't buy it to criticize it, I bought it to use it.

Then you should come back in a year or two and let us know how you're doing. Most people aren't going to see burn in that early on. It's over time that is the issue. But hey if you switch TVs every year then you'll probably never see it happen.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

It's funny that people worry about burn in, that they'll prob never notice, but they don't care about clouding and backlighting issues, that'll simple ruin the picture most of the time....

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you should come back in a year or two and let us know how you're doing. Most people aren't going to see burn in that early on. It's over time that is the issue. But hey if you switch TVs every year then you'll probably never see it happen.

Most of the people I see complaining about it that've had a set for much longer than I have only found issues when they went looking for them. Which I pointed out above.

By all means, if I end up having trouble while actually consuming content, I'll have a problem. But I'm not about to throw up some screens to search for them lmao. It's stupid. There is no perfect set.

It's funny that people worry about burn in, that they'll prob never notice, but they don't care about clouding and backlighting issues, that'll simple ruin the picture most of the time....

Yepppp

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When I had my E7 and did not have burn in, but I did have image retention which scared the crap out of me It took about a week for it to be completely gone and not visible, but it did go away. The bad thing was that for that entire week whatever I watched or played I could see that image. To the OP points, it was a yellow and specifically on Xbox One the Cuphead game tile when in the dashboard. I had my Xbox on the dashboard and got a phone call, I was away from the set for about 20-30 minutes and I was using the dark theme, so the back round was dark with that bright yellow Cuphead logo. While it was not permanent it does show that Yellow is tough on OLED or at least my 2017 model. I do also have to say I did not have this issue again as I was a bit more careful and the small temp IR I had after was only present for a very short time. I would still buy a OLED but know that you do have to be careful, especially with bright yellow/orange.
The only OLEDs in the LG OLED panel are white.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I'm in the camp where even if I got burn in I would just buy another one lol. They look so amazing. So far though, been using my B7 as a PC monitor, for HUD heavy games, and for movies for 16 months now. 4500 hours on the panel. Clean as a whistle still. Really seems like luck of the draw.

Its not even luck. I'm in the same situation as you using my OLED TV for everything including a PC monitor. Out of the thousands of these TVs sold some of them have problems like every consumer electronic device sold which people like to exaggerate.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
When I bought my 46 inch plasma TV I knew that I had to run DVDs on it for several hundred hours to prevent burn in / image retention. This was 10 years ago and it still looks great. You'll see a bit of ghosting if I play a game for 30+ hours, but it goes away when I start to watch or play something else.

I'm surprised TV manufactures haven't figured it out yet.

Oct 27, 2017

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Its not even luck. I'm in the same situation as you using my OLED TV for everything including a PC monitor. Out of the thousands of these TVs sold some of them have problems like every consumer electronic device sold which people like to exaggerate.

True. No product is flawless. The issue is that LG won't cover burn-in in their warranties.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you plan to watch CNN 20 hours/day, then don't buy OLED.
I have a C6 for 2 years now and there is still no burn in.

Nov 8, 2017
I just checked my C7 with an orange screen, and yep, there's definitely some burn in. Two vertical lines, most likely from dozens of hours playing DJMax Respect.

I literally never notice it with normal content though; this is the first time I've seen it. The TV is about 15 months old.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I just checked my C7 with an orange screen, and yep, there's definitely some burn in. Two vertical lines, most likely from dozens of hours playing DJMax Respect.

I literally never notice it with normal content though; this is the first time I've seen it. The TV is about 15 months old.
Probably just your verticle banding tbh. It's most visible on gray, but I find I can faintly make out verticle lines that line up with where my verticle bands are on any completely solid color test pattern if I really stare at it.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I have a C8, and I've used a Plasma for the previous 10 years that was susceptible to burn-in. I completely think the frustration is warranted, but I'm not going to be a slave to a commodity or even baby it. I'll use it on my terms until it's fucked up, then use my warranty and consumer entitlement, then buy the next thing. I will refuse to become my father when it comes to coddling electronics.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I watch uhd movies after playing games so while the tv is still warm it gets a new non static image over an hour at least. It's the best way to prevent burn in. But if you play say destiny for 12 hours straight and just turn off your tv immediately you are definitely going to see it much sooner

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS plus Logo is burned in mine... Wish the screen saver could be set to one min and not 5.

I'm pretty careful so it's annoying, next set I buy for sure will be a qled, or whatever fake oled Samsung will release In a couple of years.

Nov 8, 2017
Probably just your verticle banding tbh. It's most visible on gray, but I find I can faintly make out verticle lines that line up with where my verticle bands are on any completely solid color test pattern if I really stare at it.
Not sure about that. I tested grey when I first got the TV and didn't see any banding. Some other OLED owners also saw my grey test and told me that the panel was one of the best they'd ever seen.

I just tested grey again right now, and the vertical lines don't really show up at all compared to the orange!

OP
OP
Tiny Chihuahueño
Oct 27, 2017

I've opened the thread talking about my parents' C7 which is only 1a year old and already has a massive burned in bar at the bottom. First time I turned it on to play RDR2 noticed it right away. No one is making shit up or looking for something to complain about. Burn in is a thing and it will most likely fuck up your tv if you're not careful enough. My parents also bought their TV 'to use it' but here we are one year later and the thing is already doomed. Even I, who take good care of it already got two spots by following all of LG rules and advices. See you in a couple of years, let me know how that C8 is holding up then.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nearing 1 year if ownership of my LG B7 and haven't noticed any issues with IR or burn in, only some occasional color banding in some forms of content (which is a signal/output source issue mostly and not the panel itself).

I don't do the grey uniformity tests or anything, and I don't notice anything weird going on.

I'm still of frame of mind that I'm OLED-or-nothing for future displays. The contrast is just too good. Even looking at the LCD on my Surface Laptop 2 and seeing its black level not match its bezel seems really noticeable now, even though I usually only run the screen at 40% brightness.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I find it weird how often I read about the YT app causing burn-in for people. Does that not switch to the fireworks screensaver after a while?

To add another data point: Had a B6 for pretty much exactly 2 years now. Played and finished countless games on it, sometimes with 100+ hours play time. Other than that I just watch movies. Already knew where to look for hints for burn in in regular content and never noticed any and recently confirmed with full screen color slides that there isn't anything. Only the banding is slightly noticeable which is something almost every OLED suffers from to some extent.

Everyone else I wouldn't recommend looking for flaws when they don't show up in regular content. There is just zero benefit to it and you just get yourself riled up.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Fixed.

It doesn't matter how many hours per day you watch, it's how often you watch. 2x365=730 hours in a year, plenty enough to inflict burn-in.
Idk I've used mine as a PC monitor 4-5 hours a day for 16 months. Also played hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 and hundreds of hours of overwatch. There's definitely some panel lottery involved.