• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
First of all: this thread is not meant to create mass hysteria, shit on OLED technology or whatever. I'm just sharing my experience on what happened to my set and hopefully will help others to avoid this issue.

Last Christmas I spent at my parents'. They have an OLED C7 and I noticed a massive burned in bar at the bottom of their TV while playing RDR2, when looking at the map. The huge ass bar was probably produced by those fucking static info bars they put on every news/talkshow/almost everything these days .This one was purchased by the end of 2017 so it's barely a year old OLED panel and it's already fucked up beyond repair. Still under warranty, my dad will try to get a replacement but I don't have too much faith in that since LG will most likely reply with a "it's your fault for watching TV on it".
It's very difficult to take a picture of it but I guess you can see it more or less. Huge bar and then a circle on the right.

grlhytz.jpg

So, old people right? They don't know how to take care of their electronics. But what about my LG C6?
I've been pretty happy with this TV since I purchased it. I didn't baby it too much, but always took care not to leave static images, turn it off as soon as no one was watching it, always watch varied content and avoid static UI elements, etc and it's been great. But seeing what happened to my parents' I wondered wether mine was completely ok or not.

Turns out my TV is perfectly fine... except for two small rectangles which have been burned in at the bottom right of the panel. These pictures were super difficult to take and it's way more apparent when you see them in person. In fact I spotted them from a distance of like 20 feet during a commercial which turned the entire screen orange, so they're definitely not 'invisible' by any means.

bYUFHTl.jpg

7W7lF7i.jpg

In case you don't know what these are, the spots match the Youtube app buttons. The Youtube app already preinstalled in the TV. So I've basically caused burn in on my TV by using the default Youtube app LG put on the damn thing. Gee, thanks LG, maybe next time just hide those icons?
Before anyone goes "but why did you leave the Youtube app open for so long lmao" I did not. The effect is cumulative and since I watch Youtube every day on My TV it doesn't matter if the buttons are only visible for 5 minutes between 2 hours worth of videos. Since the buttons are always in the same exact spot, they age that particular area of the screen much faster that anything else. OLED doesn't like yellow or orange colors too much, they'll degrade your set at the speed of sound it seems. I've already cycled the TV, pixel refresh and everything. They're there for good.

The Youtube app looks something like this, and you can see the culprits down there:
20170324-P1030691.jpg

After finding out about these issues I looked it up online and yeah, there's quite a few people out there getting burned in OLEDs for no good reason

So. My TV is still great. OLED looks amazing. Those two spots won't bother me too much. But burn in is definitely a real issue, and OLED tvs seem to be more problematic than what we were told three years ago. While the technology is great, these problems make me think OLED is not the 'definitive' tech by any means. It's a very specific product for a very specific use that not many will be able to take advantage of without fucking them up due to normal use. And LG should be called out for that, their stance from the beginning was "these may have image retention, but it goes away quickly and you should not worry". Well, years later it's burn in, it doesn't go away and it's not my fault.

If you want to see if your OLED is a victim of "search" and "close guide" or any other UI elements, just watch a full screen orange/red/light yellow image (you can look for those "10 hours of red color" on Youtube).

Hopefully you won't find any spots on yours!

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
I've got the ultimate bar from Overwatch burned in mine and you can't tell at all unless the screen is red for some odd reason, however, if you turn the brightness down the burn in won't happen and I have to say having 100 brightness and OLED light wasn't really needed.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I had a plasma I was told to run content on it for 100 hours before using the TV so that the chances of image retention or burn in are reduced. Dunno if it's the same with OLEDs. My plasma eventually got rekt by Dark Souls though!

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
If I remember correctly the 6 series from lg had much worse burn in than the 7 series that followed it. I have had my c7 for about a year and haven't had any significant burn in. I try to stay very on top of it though, as best I can anyways. Unfortunately this is just a risk that comes with oled TVs, the tech will get better and better like everything else.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the combo of burn in and LG make oled a non starter for me.

They sure are nice though.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I bought the C7 expecting to have to replace it after a few years to be honest. For as long as it's not overly distracting I'm ok with it.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That's not the ONLY thing you have to worry with OLED. Look up vertical banding...very sorry to have brought this up to you OLED folks. (you will have it)

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yep, that's definitely an issue. I got a C8 during Black Friday and it's absolutely awesome, but I'm so scared that I look for the setting to remove hud elements in every game. I played through RDR2 without the mini-map and only popping it up when needed.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yep, why I stick with LCD despite no inky blacks. I use my TV more for the apps/PC than I do for tv shows or movies, so I'd probably be a prime candidate to get burn-in.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I kinda want to keep my 1080p Panasonic plasma forever but know 4K gaming is looming and it's supposed to start dimming any time now anyway.
I still get image retention but it always disappears after a little bit of time watching normal tv.I didn't know this was such an issue with Oled,hopefully things are improved with the tech soon or I'm really not sure what my next tv for 4K gaming will be.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use my C8 for literally only 15-20 minutes a day. It's my bedroom TV, and I really only watch it when I settle in. Rare occurrence or not, I don't want to take too many chances with it.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Even if i got burn in on my LG OLED to the point it would bother me, i would just buy another one. The picture quality and blacks are so much better that its worth the compromise.

Oct 26, 2017
If I could get a 4K OLED that was just like my full HD OLED that I had a few years ago I would do it in a heartbeat. I am talking about the EC9300. It didn't suffer from IR let alone burn in. No banding nothing. What it did do was provide an amazing picture.

You can imagine my disappointment when I got the B6 and IR was a big issue on that one, fuck man.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to keep my 1080p Panasonic plasma forever but know 4K gaming is looming and it's supposed to start dimming any time now anyway.
I still get image retention but it always disappears after a little bit of time watching normal tv.I didn't know this was such an issue with Oled,hopefully things are improved with the tech soon or I'm really not sure what my next tv for 4K gaming will be.

There are very good LED TVs, I have a great Sony. No perfect blacks obviously, but otherwise everything looks awesome on it (and the blacks are way better than older LCDs). You get a better LED for the same money than an OLED, so for me that was the right choice. By the time I buy another one OLED has hopefully reached a level of maturity where you don't have to think about these issues (and really good ones are more affordable).

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's definitely an issue. I got a C8 during Black Friday and it's absolutely awesome, but I'm so scared that I look for the setting to remove hud elements in every game. I played through RDR2 without the mini-map and only popping it up when needed.

I'm playing hud-less on GoW and it's so much more immersive. I know that shouldn't really be a "benefit" but I've actually enjoyed hud-less gaming, something I've never done before.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
I still use my Panasonic plasma, have done pc gaming on it for 10 years and lots of static Warcraft stuff etc with no burn in ever... just by keeping brightness and contrast at sensible levels, would imagine it's the same with OLED. Always better being careful.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've posted about it in another thread but my E6 has significant burn in from the average 3-6 hours a week I play Fortnite and less then 10 hours total of FIFA I've played over the last two years. This is despite me taking precautions, i.e. switching channels in between and putting brightness below 60 from the moment I got it.

Honestly, I had read about burn in before I bought it but kind of dismissed it as I thought it would only occur when you'd have very long sessions of static images at high brightness. But looking back, if I had known I would have to look at static huds being burned in while watching any sports or scene with static background, I would have never bought it. Even though I love the rest of the image it provides.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
A side note about RDR2: With HDR turned on the brightest white values on the screen are the HUD elements (not the games' visuals) which are obvious static and cause burn-in faster than any game I've ever seen.

Terrible oversight there honestly.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
If you have to use a static pattern to find where there are tiny spots of non-uniformity, but cannot see that same burn in on normal full color content, it's a non issue in my opinion. But folks who primarily watch news channels may want to be careful. And people should ensure they are off vivid mode as the brighter the display the faster it'll burn.

My E6 has been used for CNN, YouTube, all sorts of games, and tons and tons of ESPN and sports, and exhibits nothing.

I'd also advise you if you don't see any issues with your OLED to not go looking for them with static slides, cause you'll then no where issues are and always start looking for it.

And yes, even with issues it's still the definitive display tech at the moment.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I've posted about it in another thread but my E6 has significant burn in from the average 3-6 hours a week I play Fortnite and less then 10 hours total of FIFA I've played over the last two years. This is despite me taking precautions, i.e. switching channels in between and putting brightness below 60 from the moment I got it.

Honestly, I had read about burn in before I bought it but kind of dismissed it as I thought it would only occur when you'd have very long sessions of static images at high brightness. But looking back, if I had known I would have to look at static huds being burned in while watching any sports or scene with static background, I would have never bought it. Even though I love the rest of the image it provides.
Changing channels make no difference, its cumulative use.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
There are very good LED TVs, I have a great Sony. No perfect blacks obviously, but otherwise everything looks awesome on it (and the blacks are way better than older LCDs). You get a better LED for the same money than an OLED, so for me that was the right choice. By the time I buy another one OLED has hopefully reached a level of maturity where you don't have to think about these issues (and really good ones are more affordable).
Yea,I think my plasma has spoiled me,lol.Such a great set with such great black levels and response times for gaming it's such a shame they don't make them anymore.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don't know. People told me the same stuff about Plasma, yet here I am after all these years with my Panasonic Plasma and no burn in. Image retention from playing hundreds of hours of Dragons Dogma on PS3 back in the day with those ugly black bars? Or minimaps of all those open world games? Yes, but they are gone after a few hours or days.

Probably the same with your TV op.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
A side note about RDR2: With HDR turned on the brightest white values on the screen are the HUD elements (not the games' visuals) which are obvious static and cause burn-in faster than any game I've ever seen.

Terrible oversight there honestly.

Another option: don't play RDR2.

I've had my C8 for a few months now and while I'm careful with it, I accept the chance of burn in. Still looks better than any TV on the market.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
That's not the ONLY thing you have to worry with OLED. Look up vertical banding...very sorry to have brought this up to you OLED folks. (you will have it)

This is another thing you shouldn't go looking for unless you have it apparent in normal content.

The 9500s were the worst but from the C6 and onward it's been so improved it's a non issue for the most part

GraceflAnger

Nov 17, 2017
This in my opinion is more of an issue than burn in. I had my C7 replaced about 8 months into owning it because of how bad the banding was. Had my C8 for about 3 months with no signs of banding and even the temporary image retention is greatly improved over the C7

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's really no reason why any reasonable person should have the OLED backlight higher than 50 for SDR content. The newer panels handle burn in better but yes, it's always this fear I have in the back of my head.

Don't count on MicroLED coming down to OLED prices any time in the next 4-6 years. That's just wishful thinking.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I play on a LG OLED B7 and pretty much only use it for video games. I make sure to use a dynamic hud option if there is one available and try not to leave a game in let say a pause screen for hours at a time. I also don't use 100 as value on the OLED Lights during nighttime or when it's dark in the living room. Hundreds of hours later I have yet to see any signs of burn in on my TV. Burn in is an issue on OLED's and Rtings have a video on this where they have tested it. Pretty good video.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
All this stuff stresses me out when I was considering my Oled little over a year ago. When I bought my 65" B7, also made sure to buy the 5 year extended warranty from Best Buy (that covered burn-in at that time).

My research led me to believe that there isn't a mass problem but enough of a problem exists that you should have a warranty covering burn in if you buy an Oled. Appears it's not as much about you babying the TV as it is just a luck of the draw. No Oled is exactly the same (or so they say) and some are more susceptible to burn in than others. I've had 0 problems despite all my gaming but I know many people have had different experiences.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No TV tech is perfect...shocking. Seriously my LCD TV has clouding, it can be slightly annoying but it is no big deal.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
There is without a doubt that panel variance plays a part in all this, I mean for me personally, my B7 for 1 year has been used as a PC desktop, YouTube every day, and retro gaming 24/7, it's as clean as a whistle.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OLED will "burn out" sooner or later. It's how this all works.
I had to replace the panel yesterday of my LG 65C8 after almost 5 month because a blue shining pixel always was visible on dark content (LG didn't even ask and send me the service team to change it right away, for that price that's the support I want! :)). Weeks before, when the problem with the dead blue pixel occured, I tested the burn in/burn out thing as EVERY OLED phone I ever had before the Pixel 2 XL had this after 2-6 weeks.
Nothing happened even after letting the news channel run for hours a day even with a big blue mute symbol on it. So now I'm playing games a lot more relax on consoles and menus than before. But I don't know what will happen after a year or so. Let's see!

And don't do the 5% grey test if you don't see problems in movies while the camera moves horizontal. DON'T! EVER! DO! IT! :)

Dec 12, 2017
It's really unfortunate. The mere risk of burn-in is the reason why I just got a FALD LED. I really like the look of OLED but the peace of mind is way more important to me. I watch way too many sports.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It's a shame because OLED is auch a gorgeous technology but it's wholly unsuitable for the one thing it's intended for, and that's displaying imagery on a bright screen. I have yet to see an OLED screen make it to its second year of life without at least some slight discolouration and much more commonly some kind of static image burned into it, such as the notification panel of an Android phone or the Ultimate icon of Overwatch.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I play on a LG OLED B7 and pretty much only use it for video games. I make sure to use a dynamic hud option if there is one available and try not to leave a game in let say a pause screen for hours at a time. I also don't use 100 as value on the OLED Lights during nighttime or when it's dark in the living room. Hundreds of hours later I have yet to see any signs of burn in on my TV. Burn in is an issue on OLED's and Rtings have a video on this where they have tested it. Pretty good video.

This video was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. Really great info

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... You guys make it appear much worse than it actually is. I have an LG B6 for nearly 3 years. I didn't baby it whatsoever. I leave static images frequently on it, sometimes for hours. I use it every day. I've had some image retention here and there sure, and perhaps there is some form of burn-in on it, but if that is the case, I can assure you I've never noticed any of it, whatever the scenario. The static UI from all the games I play on it do not appear as something visible and bothersome when I'm done with them. I think that if you don't look for problems, more often than not you won't notice any of them. I'm glad with my OLED and the absolutely jawdropping IQ it provides.

Perhaps if I start displaying some plain, single color image on it I will see some burn-ins or other issues but doing so would not reflect my real life usage out of it.

In the end, I'm glad I went with an OLED and will most likely never go back with an LCD ever again for my living room display.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I would take those 2 small burn in areas over any LCD backlight bleed, clouding and poor black any day of the week.oled is not perfect, but it is the best image quality out there, hands down. Nothing comes close .