• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Uncharted 4 overall, especially animation wise. RDR for the general lighting and world, and Horizon for beautiful HDR effects.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I think RDR2 is a massive technical achievement, and looks damn amazing with its emphasis on realism, but I prefer God of War more due to its absolutely stellar art direction. So overall, I'd give it to God of War.

Honorable mentions to Hollow Knight, Bloodborne, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I was standing on the cliff overlooking the starting area when the skies suddenly turned real dark. It was still late day, so you could tell the sun was up with the way the dark clouds interacted with the sunlight.

Suddenly, the clouds started breaking up way in the distance and sunlight poured in through the opening and lit the area below it. It had to have been several kilometers away. I have never seen anything even remotely like that in any game ever, even linear titles. It was truly spectacular.

Another time I was hunting near the eastern part of the map. It was in the afternoon and barely stopped raining, but everything about the lighting, fog, and shaders seriously made my brain think it smelled the outdoors after it had just rained. Insane experience.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Why is BOTW among these titles? It has 0 draw distance and in console resolution leaves a lot to be desired.
Because as the OP says "What is your personal pick for best looking game of the generation?" "This can be purely artistical, technical or a mixture of the two." Always read the OP before commenting. I bolded the most relevant bits.

Oct 28, 2017
Astro Bot. It's the first time I've been wowed this much by a game visually in at least 20 years. My jaw literally dropped as the game started up.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people ignoring Final Fantasy XV? I know shitting on it is considered cool around here, but you can't deny that it's really pretty, especially on PC.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me -

Horizon Zero Dawn for open world games. God of War for wide linear games. Uncharted: Lost Legacy for linear games.

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn, playing through the game I was consistently blown away by what I was seeing.
Honorable mention goes to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Considering the constraints VR puts on overall graphical fidelity, it's a fantastic looking game.

Jan 3, 2019
It's Horizon. Whole thing looks like moving concept art.

As for 2D games, it's still Muramasa.
JaqijnY.gif

I'd pay an appropriate amount of money for a remaster.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably give it to God of War. Haven't played Red Dead yet. Horizon: Zero Dawn is up there but it's a little rough around the edges compared to GoW, which makes since given their disparity in scope.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's Horizon. Whole thing looks like moving concept art.

As for 2D games, it's still Muramasa.
JaqijnY.gif

I'd pay an appropriate amount of money for a remaster.
Where the FUCK is the Switch port for Muramasa, Odinsphere, and Dragon's Crown? I'm so ready to revisit those and the Switch's huge screen would be amazing after the Vita.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
There are some really beautiful games that have released this gen and funnily enough the best looking ones (imo) are pretty much all console exclusives.

If I had to pick one it would be RDR2 because of the scale of the game and the consistent quality throughout. There have been smaller but equally as beautiful games though such as GoW, HZD and Quantum Break.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think RDR2 is a massive technical achievement, and looks damn amazing with its emphasis on realism, but I prefer God of War more due to its absolutely stellar art direction. So overall, I'd give it to God of War.

Honorable mentions to Hollow Knight, Bloodborne, and Shadow of the Colossus.
Personally I find RDR2 very overrated. Not to saying is not a beauty but it's more a smart uses of the possible graphic tech available than a true tech showcase.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
RDR 2. The lighting, the dynamic weather, draw distance is the best i've ever seen. All of that running on a base PS4 its a miracle. Cant wait for the next gen version.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we are going on pure style, Persona 5, everything in there just ooze style. Technically its more complicated, maybe GoW or RE2? There is more of a debate

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The more time passes the more I keep going back to thinking Robo Recall is the best looking game these days. VR just leaves a whole other impression, and the style of Robo Recall really adds a lot.

I think Xing maxed out is technically better. Basically looks like Crysis in VR, but RR has so much style.

Uncharted 4, Metro Exodus with RTX all look great, but don't leave me with the same lasting feeling of graphics saturation.