• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
As I sit here, the evening before what seems to be Christmas (Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2, Assassin's Creed Origins, Stranger Things 2, Thor Ragnarok, whatever else tomorrow seems to bring), my mind can't help but drift back to the last month or so, and the time I've spent within Destiny 2.

I was an avid "not going back", who eventually got caught up in the hype and made my way back. 100 odd hours later, and all current content exhausted, it's safe to say I've seen all and, for the most part, not regretting a purchase and the time spent.

I suppose this has crept on me because I'm considering trading the game in tomorrow to help towards my Switch purchase. Where does the rest of Era stand on their copy? Will you be hanging around for the DLC coming later this year? Will your game also be traded in to help with future purchases? Do you regret the time spent, now the dust has settled? Basically, your state of mind on Destiny 2? All these questions, now I ask for answers.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As I sit here, the evening before what seems to be Christmas (Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2, Assassin's Creed Origins, Stranger Things 2, Thor Ragnarok, whatever else tomorrow seems to bring), my mind can't help but drift back to the last month or so, and the time I've spent within Destiny 2.

I was an avid "not going back", who eventually got caught up in the hype and made my way back. 100 odd hours later, and all current content exhausted, it's safe to say I've seen all and, for the most part, not regretting a purchase and the time spent.

I suppose this has crept on me because I'm considering trading the game in tomorrow to help towards my Switch purchase. Where does the rest of Era stand on their copy? Will you be hanging around for the DLC coming later this year? Will your game also be traded in to help with future purchases? Do you regret the time spent, now the dust has settled? Basically, your state of mind on Destiny 2? All these questions, now I ask for answers.

I tried to return for the prestige raid, and I completed it once and felt pretty much nothing. The events this far have also been mundane and grindy. I'm going to hold onto it, but it certainly won't be occupying much space in my thoughts. Too many phenomenal games that have come out or are coming out to be replaying the same old stuff.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Picked up the PS4 version for cheap via a trade in and played through it. Enjoyed my time with it.
Now switched to PC, playing the content again, doing PvP (which I hadn't done on PS4) and going to pick up future DLC and such there.
It's a great "pick up and shoot some things" game for me and I was never the kind of person who enjoyed or did any kind of grinding which makes Destiny 2s current systems pretty ok for me.

I basically never expect any "life changing" things from games or for them to become a "I will play this for years!" game for me, so I wasn't as disappointed with D2 as many other former D1 players were.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself still enjoying the game, but I do feel like it's incredibly light on end game content. That 305 gear trickle being held behind only a few options is frustrating, and the fact that a single exotic weapon (multi-tool) is the primary go to for most matches has made for an easy, yet super boring pvp experience. I still find value in the game so I will keep and play it weekly, but I don't think anyone would blame you for trading it in now. You can always pick it up again when more content releases.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im just waiting for more content and an end game. I think what's there is good for the most part.

Also, you should have went digital if you're going to keep playing.

OP
OP
Chaeotic

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Im just waiting for more content and an end game. I think what's there is good for the most part.

Also, you should have went digital if you're going to keep playing.

Valid point - getting the game for 69 aus and being able to trade back for a portion of that was far too strong a pull for me though. I guess I had the mindset that I'd be in and out in a month or so, and tried to minimise the financial damage. So I may not be the best example of the current playerbase!

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked it up at launch (which I rarely do), but because of family and studies I really haven't had the time to really play it at all. Just a quick stroll through of base campaign with warlock, but that's it. I'm sure it's going to end up being an absolute blast of a game and there's hints of brilliance already, but I just don't have the time to invest at the moment.

In the same vein I've been planning to upgrade my PC and go PC, but being a realist that's not going to make any difference to the time I have to spend.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have played close to 200 + hours and the inability to complete the prestige just tore me apart, this was largely due to the fact that most of my clan were not interested and finding a PUG with semi decent players was really hard.

I have stopped playing the game for a week or so and thinking of playing dark souls 3 or prey that I picked up.

I hope the live team makes the changes necessary

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the limited edition at launch so i will be back in december and later to play the DLC as i already paid for them. A couple of weeks back i platinumed the game and that was it for me and stopped playing.

I still love the core gameplay but hate what they did with the talent trees. Why can't i mix and match? Why is the added content (adventures, treasure maps) redundant so fast?

Lots of things feel like a step back from Rise of Iron and i have faith that in time it will get back to that level again. I just wish i had the patience to pick up the game at a later time and save myself some money.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Binged on the game for around 250 hours and once I hit 305 I quit playing that day. Really isn't anything to do in the game once you're max light. I don't regret the time wasted on it at all. Lots of my hardcore Destiny friends quit sooner than I did, but I plan to return when the DLC drops. It will be interesting to see if any of my friends feel like getting the DLC though.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the PS4 version at launch and played for a day or two before I decided to wait until the PC release. Then the PC release came and went and I never had the desire to play it. It's weird because it was my most anticipated game this year and I enjoyed what I played, I just don't (currently) have the desire to go back to it.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hate to side with Luke Smith and the whole "endgame is about friendships" bullshit (because that really is a shitty excuse to defend your own game), that's kind of exactly the reason I played D1 for 2,000 hours and why I'll continue to play D2 every week. Whilst all the content is beaten, all three characters are maximum level, I play with a group who just like to play the game and raid each week - having a good laugh and catchup with each other as we do.

So for me, I could never imagine Destiny not being a part of my life because it's something I'll always play. Also, hopefully the live team will get their finger out and start releasing those regular updates.

Ironically we're actually raiding on both D1 and D2 at the moment, trying out the new weapons that were previously PS4 exclusive.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Jumping to the PC platform is extending my enjoyment far more than I expected (even hit 280 today). I'm eager for more Iron Banner and Faction Rallies already though. Can't deny my thirst for a new Queen's Wrath too.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Bought PS4 version and got up to PL 295 and enjoyed every moment I spent playing it. The content that's there is so much fun. Got it on PC as well and have almost finished the campaign on there as well.

KodiakOak

Oct 27, 2017
Traded my copy on PS4 in after about 100 hours. Don't regret that decision and I don't regret buying it in the first place. I needed to see if there had been big change with the game and I can read between the lines on why there hasn't but none the less I had fun jumping back in with friends and for a fleeting moment we had a return to that spark that we felt with the first game.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bought it at launch on PS4. really enjoyed it and got to lvl 305. bought it again on PC and still enjoying it but the performance issues are so annoying and i hope they fix them. if there are any issues still regarding performance by the time the first expansion comes out then i'll be going back to PS4 even if it means a lower fov, 30fps, and playing with a controller. my PC is more than capable of doing 1440p 60fps but there are constant frame rate issues right now.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a question...is Luke Smith a member here?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I put stupid amount of time into D1 and D2 is ok but not liking the direction they took . Crucible is ruined with 4s only teamshotting . They need 6s back imo.

And there's no grind really . I will play the dlc , but will be moving on quickly from the new content . I see why they made the changes in less rpg style format (it was already lite in that department ) but it's not worth a huge timesink for me .

2018 is gonna be crazy for games anyway so I don't mind

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I played D1 a lot, played and enjoyed D2 but was happy to stop at 290ish. A combination of being ill, and slowly shaking off the compunction to keep up with the joneses by always being max light and chasing all the raid gear.

Since stopping I've completed 5 or 6 other games, which has been great fun, and given me a lot more variety.

I didn't buy the deluxe addition and I don't want to spend money on the DLCs so I think my Destiny journey will end here for good.

I've been through... at least 6 rounds of chasing light levels and gear to get max light... I think that's enough.

P.s. I also missed the social aspect of 6's in PvP, a lot of the people I used to raid with would hop onto iron banner and we'd have a rolling party with people jumping in and out. 4's just doesn't work as well for this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I have 275 Hunter on PS4 and I started leveling Titan on PC. I plan to stick to the PC version from now on but I'm not really into endgame stuff I think. I've played some Nightfalls and didn't really enjoy them so I don't see the point.

I guess years in World of Warcraft and recently FF14 spoiled me a little bit. I feel like the endgame lacks the variety. Additional PvP events seem lackluster. And loot isn't exciting. I don't really get cool drops because I have to somehow rise my Power to start getting better exotics - but that's not the point. I want to constantly get better gear from mobs... Diablo can do it, why Destiny 2 can't?

I also feel like it would be better to have separate gear for PvP.

Overall I think I will be just hopping back when expansions launch, because exploring planets for the first time and doing Strikes for the first time is good enough.

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny 2 did not hold my interest compaired to the first one. Played through the story, grinded to around 270ish and dropped it. I was still entralled with the first one at this point in time from release.

Oct 27, 2017
I got it at launch and for the past handful of weeks have had little reason to play. I will probably come back for the Dlc. Overall I think Destiny 2 is disappointing in a lot of regards but I don't regret playing or purchasing it.

I mainly feel like D2 is a game that tries so hard to eliminate the lows from D1 that the result is a game that feels more homogenized, and while lacking the lows, also never reaches the same heights.

Last edited:

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
I have exhausted all current content however I will still do pvp fairly regularly and be back properly when the next update drops. From the latest weekly bungie post the list of changes they plan on making address a large majority of the current complaints with the end game.

But during this lul I am enjoying GT sport and finishing off horizon and a few other games.

Deleted member 2945

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I sold the game within a couple of weeks.

Went from playing every evening to just not wanting to bother.

The game isn't bad whatsoever just seems like unnecessary stodge - likened it to tasteless porridge.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Playing feels fine but not exciting either.

Loot is trash
Guns are uninteresting. Feels like I've seen them all already and anything new or good is just an increase to my already good guns.
Classes are good but no longer fresh at this point.

Leveling happened too fast. Felt like I didn't earn it. Didn't even really feel stronger at higher levels. Exotics feel half assed. A lot of things feel almost too similar to d1.
Enemy AI leave a lot to be desired right now. I am entering dynasty Warriors mindset while I play majority PvE.

Oddities/annoyances a plenty. I think every one of my characters' head looks worse than d1 with the carry over. Wish you could edit, right now I hide with helmet.
Currency caps and item caps, like shaders, is really shit. The economy is pretty barebones. Dismantling is a chore that I spend too much time doing and it can't be avoided much.

Pvp has plenty of annoyances personally but I know this will change over time with patches and major updates. As is I miss the 6v6 chaos. I miss some of the old classes. I miss shotguns in their old glory. I miss the lunge on the old melees. I miss double melee kills (they are rare now and mostly require a shot or two or a melee skill).

I still have a lot of fun but can safely say I'm pretty bored of most content in it.

My Hunter can't blink....

NathanBrown

Oct 27, 2017
I played 100 hours in a couple of weeks and loved it, but it falls off a cliff in the endgame and I just feel I have nothing to chase, no reason to play. In D1, even if there was no new content, you could log on for half an hour, do anything and have at least a chance of getting something interesting.

By contrast D2 is sorely lacking in carrots, it's just a stick. It's still fun enough to play, but in the absence of desirable rewards I have no impetus to replay content when there are so many other games to play. I'll be back for the DLC and don't regret my time with it at all, but I'm sad it's not become a hobby of itself the way the first game did.

Prime

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game when it launched on PC. I already had it purchased via the Blizzard app for quite a while. Unfortunately due to the somewhat negative feedback about the console versions of the game. Most of my friends have opted out of playing Destiny 2. And while it's certainly not bad, I was kind of hoping to play the game with my usual gaming group. It just feels a bit boring running through the game on my own.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I've loved just about every moment of D2's campaign and strikes. However, once I hit the 290 mark content started to wear thin. Completing the raid was enough for me to put it down for the most part until the DLC comes out or seasonal events pop up. I'll rank up in Iron Banner and do the nightfalls occasionally and do milestones here and there on my 304 crawl to 305, but outside of that I've been pretty satisfied with the game. I look forward to seeing how the game evolves every few months and will be there each step of the way.

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm pretty much done with Destiny 2, though that doesn't mean I that I regret my purchase. I just don't find it at compelling to go back to as much as the original, and part of that is changes in my life. I moved from the states to Germany and it's harder to hook up with my raid buddies due to time difference. On top of that I started studying and have far less time. Gran Turismo Sport is the icing on the cake that has killed it for me.

I spent close to a thousand hours on the first Destiny, did each raid dozens of times and couldn't wait to jump back on, except during the down periods between content. I did the D2 raid once and it was enough for me. I was surprised, I almost didn't buy it at release but found the story better than expected, but the rest of the game, like I said, just not that compelling. I'll be keeping it though, I bought it digitally, and may check out the dlc if it looks good.

Oct 25, 2017
Played too much at launch, had like 3 days in the first week and by October it was winding down. Thanks for reminding me to get my weekly stuff done since I haven't played in a week... huge drop from Destiny personally in terms of longevity.