• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
And it's awesome.

This link popped up on my news feed this morning.
First time Souls player. I didn't realise that the PS5 records your microphone's audio whenever you get a trophy. Whoops.

I absolutely love the clip in the link. It's one of those moments that really show off what gaming is about and why we all love gaming.
I also thinks it's a really cool feature especially for a game like Demon's Souls that can be frustrating at times.

Edit.

*Please read threadmarks should you have privacy concerns. Thanks*

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It popped in my news too!

I think it's ok and it makes for wholesome situations like the one in the video.

Everything in my house is already listening to me, so I'm not paranoid about that.

Also, you can set the controller mic to mute by default in the options.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer this to be opt in but it's a cool feature if you're aware of it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My TV/phone/laptop already listen to me, so what's one more device? /s

Always mute the mic when not in use if you don't want stuff to record you. Don't think there's much we can do at this point.

Last edited:

Gooner

Oct 15, 2020
None of mine has my voice on it, maybe it has something to do with the broadcast settings? Mine is turned off.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
You can configure the system so controllers are automatically muted when connected, I did that immediately

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
None of my trophy videos have my voice in them, so I think maybe you've done this in your settings unintentionally? I don't think this is supposed to be the default.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty funny, but I always have trophy notifications off, so I wouldn't have noticed it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is uhh not a good look unless it's provisioned by earlier consent by the player in a way that's actually clear. I assume it works like the gameplay video stuff, it caches the last X minutes and only actually saves it if the user actuates the saving, but recording your voice is iffy and riddled with extremely bad optics already.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have intended to and keep forgetting to go in and set the auto-mute function. I've recorded some clips while the mic was active and wondered why my audio was super drowned out. I'm a night shift worker so I'm not in the habit of speaking while I play so I don't disturb my partner at night, but I think the mic being active is why the audio is so dull in my clips? Because it's capturing my mic's silence and overlaying it into the audio mix?

I did already turn off Trophy auto-capture for both screenshots and videos so I've got that covered, just didn't want all of that factoring into my limited SSD space.

Hope that's the explanation. I do think the video capture quality is really good, it's just the audio has been really meh in the few I've captured.

Gotta remember to do this when I get home in the morning.

EDIT: Fun fact I heard on EZA Podcast recently too that some may not know: Apparently in the system options themselves, Sony outright states that the Dual Sense haptics do not operate at full capability while the mic is active and muting the mic is the only way to get Dual Sense haptics and the Adaptive Triggers to be at their absolute highest capability. That was another reason on top of already existing privacy concerns that I have been meaning to do the auto-mute. Note that I haven't verified the existence of this system level text myself and am taking the Allies at their word on this, lol.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah i don't think being recorded against my knowledge is awesome, sorry op

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This kind of stuff should be opt in instead of opt out. People shouldn't be finding out about this through a viral moment and then going into settings to disable it. It should be the other way around.

Oct 25, 2017
"Everything else is listening so this isn't important" is a terrible justification. They should NOT be doing this without a clear opt in. Give a shit about your privacy, folks.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
creepy as hell, did they ever even ask?

What other situations does the PS5 record you and if you turn everything off, can you trust it to actually do that

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if I'll hear a "Thank fuck!" for a Demons Souls trophy. Will need to check.

But yeah agreed in that they should ask and you need to opt in for this.

OP
OP
Gvon

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I didn't think people would be against a voice capture in this way. The only way others can hear your voice in this case if you as user decides to share the video. I'd understand if automatically uploaded the videos without consent but in this case it down to the user to share the video.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Opt out of voice data collection under

users and accounts/privacy/voice data collection

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
This is great for Souls game lmao
But I also disabled that feature to save space on the SSD, so no cool clips for me :(

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Just checked and the option to record my mic in video clips is off. I didn't change it either so.. it's off by default or I chose it in setup or something.
None of my trophy vids have my voice and my mic hasn't been muted.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hate it, should be off by default. (Edit- looks like it is? Cool)

15% because I want privacy, and 85% because I don't want that cringe being stored.

Last edited:
Microphone is off by default.

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
PSA: You can turn mic recording on/off in the share options in the settings menu. You can choose to or not to include your mic and or other people's mic's in your vids.

By default it should be off (it was for me). Or perhaps that is depending on the settings you choose when you initialised your console.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I didn't think people would be against a voice capture in this way. The only way others can hear your voice in this case if you as user decides to share the video. I'd understand if automatically uploaded the videos without consent but in this case it down to the user to share the video.

This is my take on it. If it was an automatic upload then I'd get the concern, but if it's just local to the PS5 unless the user chooses to upload it then I don't see the problem.

Edit: So is the default option "off" after all?