• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this magazine when I was with my mum, It was love at first sight lol

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
As far as imagery, I'm not sure if I experienced Mario 64 or SMRPG first - but I was in love with his look in SMRPG. I thought that looked like the future. Even to this day that isometric look is great.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I still love the art for SM64 to this day, it's super charming. Little me was awe-struck by how realistic Mario looked in-game.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I lost my god damn mind seeing this at a blockbuster demo station

225px-MarioMiniSM64.png

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it for the first time at a Best Buy with the 9-screen setup above the demo kiosk. It was playing the attract mode and I saw Mario fighting Big Bully in Lethal Lava Land, and I was in awe, from all the way at the entrance.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The first Mario I have purchased since Super Mario World is SMO, that should say a lot.
I couldn't stand or figure out the controls for 3D mario in the first iterations so it basically killed my like for Nintendo and I turned to PC for the next 25 years until I got a PS4.

I enjoy SMO though, probably due to the dual sticks that I finally mastered on the PS4 and tightness of the controls.
But I really felt abandoned by Nintendo as a 2d platformer back then.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Since someone brought up Mario RPG's prerendered Mario - I thought that one looked terrible.

I first saw Mario 64 in some magazine not affiliated with Nintendo. I can't remember what I thought except one thing: the game seemed very mysterious to me. I really wanted to see what the levels were like. I was imagining something with much larger levels, actually. Bigger than Odyssey worlds, even.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I saw a picture with Mario and piranha plant in a gaming magazine and it looked unbelievable. Future of gaming. Something I could have only dreamed until then.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I first experienced Mario 64 in motion when I saw it playing in a demo kiosk at Toys R Us. Yeah, I was pretty blown away. I don't think that feeling of "wow" has been duplicated for me since. Needless to say, I had the game in my hands on launch day.

In the end, I didn't end up a very big fan of the Nintendo 64 console. But it was absolutely worth owning just for Mario 64.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There was a UK video game television show called Bad Influence back then, and a few days after Shoshinkai 1995 they broadcast the demo reel nintendo gave out that had Super Mario 64 and all the other N64 prototype footage on it, including a dark haired link fighting an Ironknuckles.

I was blown away by all of it, it was incredible. There's never been a graphical jump like it.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
The first time I saw it in motion at Best Buy on one of those screens made of like 9 CRT TVs my mind almost melted. To this day I don't think anything can compare to the jump from 2d to 3d as far as excitement goes for me.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing one picture in my local toys r us ad that blew my mind, and that picture is my user photo on era. Around that holiday, my cousin brought his n64 over and i got to actually play it for the first time. The ability to move a character around in 3d in an open space blew my mind, ill never forget that moment, until then i had exclusively played the snes

OP
OP
cid85

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember they had a couple of demo stations set up at a local gaming store, all the parents where there. We had only 2 minutes to try it out lol.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just say getting N64 and Super Mario 64 is my favourite gaming-related Christmas present by far. Was absolutely amazed.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
My family bought a new PC earlier that year so I had already been playing fantastic looking (at the time) 3D games on my PC when I first saw it. The graphics didn't blow me away or anything. What blew me away was actually playing it.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I love Mario 64 but I didn't have any particular shock or anything for it since my first introduction to 3D was via Playstation, Soul Blade specifically.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My actual reaction seeing the game played for the first time...
I had just graduated college. So I was not paying that much attention to games. My friend had gotten the N64 a few months after the launch here in the states. I went to his house and watched in awe has he played for a good 10 hours. When he was going to sleep I asked him if I could play, this was at about 2 AM.
At around 6:30 his dad was on his way to work and just laughed and told me to get some sleep.
I played until around 11 AM when my friend woke up.
I went home, gathered absolutely everything I could trade in or sell, and had my own N64 by 5 PM or so that afternoon. (I sold some old punk records to a friend who still reminds me about their worth to this day). I went home and passed out.
Woke up the next morning and played for the next 2 or so weeks.
I never had a reaction like that to a game.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't believe what I was seeing in newspaper and magazine images. I couldn't even imagine a Mario game in 3D, and it looked so good and bizarre...

Total mindfuck!!

I wanted a N64 so desperately just to play it, but my parents never bought me one. No matter how much I insisted, the answer was always "NO!".

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The first time I saw Super Mario 64 was about 4 months before the US release at one of those rare 'Diehard GameFan' licensed stores. They had a Japanese copy running with a line out the door to pay $3 to play the game for 5 minutes..think about that lol.

It is the only time seeing a video game literally blew my fucking mind.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was in 8th grade when I saw the n64 display in a Toys R Us. I had played PlayStation before, so 3D games were entirely new, but nothing was like Mario 64.

I played that demo for what seemed like an hour. I got the slightest bit dizzy, the only time it's ever happened to me from playing games. I remember the smells of the store, the look of the display case, the paper game slips on the walls....it was a magical time. I knew I must have one, by whatever means necessary.

I burned that store to the ground an- no wait. I waited in line at a Best Buy months later to get my n64. It was glorious.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing an episode of "Blue Peter" here in the UK. Somebody had a test build of mario 64 and was playing it with a SNES controller as the n64 controller was still top secret. I remember seeing mario jump about in the castle gardens and was completely blown away as a kid. To this day, i cant find any footage of this blue peter episode and havent ever seen any mention of this.

If anyone ever finds anything on this, please let me know.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Played it at a toys r us kiosk and was completely blown away. It felt like I was playing the future (I think it was a combination of the thumbstick and graphics). To this day, its the only game I've played that felt like a generational leap.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I ever saw anything of Mario 64 I was I think 7 or 8 and I saw it on a display at Toys R Us. It was just Mario in his sleeping idle animation in front of the Bob-omb Battlefield painting but up until that point I had no idea something like that was possible. It was my first time seeing anything like that because I don't think I even knew the Playstation or Saturn existed at that point lol

OP
OP
cid85

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I saw Super Mario 64 was about 4 months before the US release at one of those rare 'Diehard GameFan' licensed stores. They had a Japanese copy running with a line out the door to pay $3 to play the game for 5 minutes..think about that lol.

It is the only time seeing a video game literally blew my fucking mind.

It was the same in Australia, some boutique store lol

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
BrasĂ­lia
I was impressed, of course.

I still remember the first time I played SM64 and the difficulty to walk and run. I keep running around trees trying to climb on them.

But after I got used to it, I fell in love with analog controls and never more wanted to going back.

That game changed how I play video games forever.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
iaPKeNE.jpg

This was my first screenie of SM64. I still think is fucking awesome. It was like "holy crap, Mario is LOOKING at the stomps, holy shit".

I play the game for the first time in august 1996, japanese version in a store. One of the most mindblown moments ever.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a demo station setup at our local Nobody Beats the Wiz!

I remember being with my dad and brother and I had no idea about Nintendo's new system until I saw it there. Was really blown away by the graphics but I couldnt grasp how the damn controller worked. I thought you had to grip the outer handles and reach your thumb to the middle one :P

Heilige Kip

Oct 30, 2017
Its crazy, but I cant seem to think anything of it. Played Mario Bros on the NES all the time with my dad. But 3D seemed natural to me, everything is 3D in real life. But than again, I was only 5 so my memories are a bit clouded I guess..

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing some screenshots and not even being able to comprehend what is happening. I was like, "so Mario can walk in 3D space? That can't be right".

And when I saw it running at an acquaintance's house it blew my mind.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I first saw it in the summer of 96 at a demo kiosk at the Nintendome at the La Ronde amusement park. The game was in Japanese so it was most probably a japanese release unit. I completely lost my shit, no doubt. The fact that I discovered its existence at the same time that I could play it was mind blowing. From that day I was hooked. I then played the shit out of the demo unit at Toysrus, then a family friend bought it at launch and I played it to completion over at their house. After a while they decided they didn't want the N64 anymore so I bought it for myself. Good times.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

First time I saw this was in Toys R Us a few months before the system launched. And it was insane. The visceral reaction I had is pretty incomparable, it was a once in a lifetime experience honestly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first reaction playing Mario 64 as a little kid wasn't "whoah 3D"

It was "there's no time limit?????"

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its super fucking mario!!!!!!!!!!

im too young to even really think 3d was mind-blowing, i mean, i was born around the time toy story came out but i know that it was a pretty big game changer

i was always fascinated with super mario 64 nevertheless but i never even really got to play it until i was a adult

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cant remember

but like seeing every 2D hero in 3D, it was absolutely amazing

I know specifically how I felt seeing Sonic Adventure for the first time, especially since its visuals were insane for its age

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember having any particular reaction to seeing Mario 64 - maybe from being used to some 3D stuff like Descent on PC?

I do remember seeing Ocarina of Time for the first time and being absolutely blown away. I thought that was the best graphics were ever going to get.

Nov 8, 2017
I was in a Blockbuster Video the first time I saw Mario 64 running. I've still never been wowed by a video game like I was that day.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a Nintendo power tape in the mail and also actually got to play it at a funcoland kisok. It wasn't so much what Mario looked like in 3D so much as it was navagating and controlling a 3D space that blew my mind at the time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Loved in-game. Played the import version a bit at a game store months before launch and it blew my mind.

HATED the SGI key art. Mario looked terrible compared to the classic line-drawn art used in promo materials. I hated that it all but disappeared in the mid and late 90's and we were stuck with terrible composites of Silicon Graphics renderings.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

First time I saw this was in Toys R Us a few months before the system launched. And it was insane. The visceral reaction I had is pretty incomparable, it was a once in a lifetime experience honestly.

I had the same experience. It was absolutely insane. I had studied every gaming magazine I could find that had coverage of the game before I actually saw it, but PLAYING it and seeing it run on an actual TV was sublime. Nevermind the strange feeling of pushing a little joystick forward to move Mario when before you just helf right on a d-pad.