• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw this on twitter and thought this deserves it's own thread because of how cool it is.

Convert me into a jpg if old.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
should have started with a .bmp and then gradually getting better

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Some uh... Pieces of adult interactive entertainment use .PNGs of the characters you create to store their data so you can share them. Interesting to see that used here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's using steganography? O_o

I doubt it. It's probably just embedding the save data information inside PNG metadata chunks.

iTxt
tExt
zTxt could all be used to store arbitrary data

They might just be using Adobe XMP to embed whatever metadata they want here, or they might have just developed their own tags:
Other keywords may be invented for other purposes. The keyword must be at least one character and less than 80 characters long.

And this is a note about ancillary chunks. So you can put absolutely anything there, including garbage data, and it won't corrupt the PNG file whatsoever:
If a decoder encounters an ancillary chunk that it does not understand can safely ignore it.

Last edited:

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
It's weird in this case because why...?, but it's not really a new thing. I can remember Spore did something like this, and in that case it made sense, because it would be an image of the creature that you were saving, so you could send the PNG to other people and they could see it and potentially load it in their game if they liked it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a Hank Hill PNG file to be some ultra hacked save where you fight all of the superbosses at once or something.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You nerds need to explain this shit better so I know if I should grab my pitchfork and call it fucking bullshit, or demand this to be an standard in the gaming industry.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If someone has a save to share I can take a look and see what I can make of the save encoding.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
You nerds need to explain this shit better so I know if I should grab my pitchfork and call it fucking bullshit, or demand this to be an standard in the gaming industry.

It's just a PNG except with extra data included that is your save file.

Note that the save file isn't incorporated into the image, it's just that the PNG file has a portion that's the image and another portion that is your save data.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Save data is typically stored in .txt files since those would produce the smallest file size. Saving it in the metadata of a .png file is possible but it just seems really unnecessary.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
If someone has a save to share I can take a look and see what I can make of the save encoding.
It's in the OP

qk9dcy7yk6q61.png

J-Soul

Nov 11, 2020
Computer, replace my Kingdom Hearts 3 save file with the top deviantart result for "Goofy's Feet png".
Computer, launch Kingdom Hearts 3.

Here. We. Go!

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Save data is typically stored in .txt files since those would produce the smallest file size. Saving it in the metadata of a .png file is possible but it seems really unnecessary.
the image holds all the hex variables that a normal save file uses.
It's just a PNG except with extra data included that is your save file.
Note that the save file isn't incorporated into the image, it's just that the PNG file has a portion that's the image and another portion that is your save data.
I don't get all of this mumbo jumbo, I just used an entire Memory Card for the PSX version of Diablo and that was the end of it.

(Thanks for the insight! Seeing that someone just uploaded a save game through that PNG is just bonkers, that was an unexpected twist, lol.)

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the wackiest thing to come out of KH in forever

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that image in the OP has the save data in it?

All I see is an IHDR, a single IDAT chunk, and an IEND. Not sure where they could possibly be storing metadata in here.

Reddit might have stripped it away, unless it's actually embedded into the IDATA.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of Spore, the creatures and objects you created were saved in a png image representing said object, always thought that was super cool.

Edit : beaten

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing new, doesn't make sense unless the picture is something that's related to the actual save file, like the character you're using and their equipment....

Some uh... Pieces of adult interactive entertainment use .PNGs of the characters you create to store their data so you can share them. Interesting to see that used here.

...or lack of equipment.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to dig myself a grave here, but don't games like Koikatsu do this with character cards?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Save data is typically stored in .txt files since those would produce the smallest file size. Saving it in the metadata of a .png file is possible but it just seems really unnecessary.
I doubt that was the intention, but making it an image makes it more intuitive to share on social platforms or forums compared to linking a txt file. I seem to remember some game where users could create something and share it via a generated png that showed the creation as well as includes the data for it.

Edit: Did I accidentally remember the mechanism of some adult game here? lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Brb gonna sell my 100% KHBBS save on the NFT market for 3000 bit coin.
Worth it for anyone to avoid playing ice cream beat.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit could've delete non-standart chunks from file.
But we need someone to check to know for sure.

Oh yeah looking at that video, if it's the same file, then that's exactly what happened. In the video you can see the tExt chunk right at the start.

The file was 6.74 MB in the video. It's around 70 KB now.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That is so weird, yet so cool.

It's one of those things that I don't understand at all like how games used to be in cassete tapes.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Do I look like i know w̸̖͖̲̤̪̜̓̉̃̐̌̎̇̍͂́̿̕ͅh̸̡̧̬̘͉̮͍̥̠̱̗̉͘͜â̵̻͎͕̮͔̤͇͔͈͕̤̦̺͒͂́̊͑̅́̇͠t̶̡̥̟͚͌͆͆ ̶̱͉̤̤̱̰̗̾̆̽̔̓͑͐̆̄̈́̇̕a̴̡̛̙͕̗̝̖͙̯̝̓̈́̀̆͊̚͝ ̸̳̭̳̳̰̟͛̈́̐͛̓͘p̴̛̛̯̙͓͕̝͉̠̮̰̝̗̫͖̩͋̃̿̈́̀̆͑̌̍̒̎̐̽n̴̦̥͉͙̫̲̈́̒͒̿̅̽͘͠͠ͅg̵̯̺̮͈̗̠̟͖̺͍͋͑̽̆̐̀͘ ̶̢̲̞̱͔̺͔͑̽̊̑̉ͅͅi̴̡̢͈͓̰̩͇̙̳͌͗͑̓͊̍͒̕͠͠s̷̡̢̺̮̗̦̼̰͊̋͑̋̄̇͆̾̄̊͗͝???

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Oh yeah looking at that video, if it's the same file, then that's exactly what happened. In the video you can see the tExt chunk right at the start.

The file was 6.74 MB in the video. It's around 70 KB now.
Well, that certainly limits it's sharing potential. I imagine most image hosters do something similar to prevent storage abuse.
The idea is neat, though.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that was the intention, but making it an image makes it more intuitive to share on social platforms or forums compared to linking a txt file. I seem to remember some game where users could create something and share it via a generated png that showed the creation as well as includes the data for it.

Edit: Did I accidentally remember the mechanism of some adult game here? lol

That is exactly how characters in a certain hentai game are shared lol. Outed yourself there :P

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I can edit it and give myself max megaelixers, all equipment, all abilities, all drive forms maxed out and go straight to data org fights.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Square-Enix single-handedly trying to bring back the ps1/ps2 memory card experience of save files represented as images. Next comes the cute little 16-polygon animated 3D models.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird in this case because why...?, but it's not really a new thing. I can remember Spore did something like this, and in that case it made sense, because it would be an image of the creature that you were saving, so you could send the PNG to other people and they could see it and potentially load it in their game if they liked it.

To emulate what the save data actually looks like on console

I actually really appreciate the extra mile they went here