• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So rather than just have a Top 25 with a list of games and why we love them, I thought it might be interesting for us to post our Top 25 Games of All Time, along with some brief take aways from our own lists. Eg, things about our own list that stand out or might be noteworthy points of interest.

I feel ike this way there might be added analysis, a more overall consideration of our own tastes, a broader summary idea of other people's tastes, and possibly more discussion.

I'll start us off.

For the record, my list of games and the order of them changes all the time, but for now off the top of my head this is what I'm feeling. Nostalgia plays some role, but rarely do older games feel as enjoyable when I replay them, so most of the games in my list are newer.

Top 25 Games of All Time.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. The Last of Us Part II
3. Half Life 2 with Counter Strike Source
4. The Last of Us
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Uncharted 2
8. Resident Evil 4
9. Super Mario 64
10. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
11. Halo: Combat Evolved
12. God of War (2018)
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
15. Grand Theft Auto V
16. Bioshock
17. Mass Effect 2
18. Red Dead Redemption 2
19. Uncharted 4
20. Gears of War
21. Horizon Zero Dawn
22. Bloodborne
23. Forza Horizon 3
24. Super Mario Galaxy
25. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Points of interest or analysis:
  • Even though there's been countless indie and AA games I've loved, my list surprisingly skews entirely AAA.
  • I tend to favour single player orientated experiences, though HL2 is my number 2 largely due to the inclusion of CSS.
  • My list has a very strong correlation with critical reception in that every single game in the list with the exception of Horizon Zero Dawn (89), is rated 90 or above on metacritic.
  • Even though the genres of games in my list are fairly broad, I'd say on the whole they tend to skew slightly towards narrative heavy or cinematic titles.
  • The publisher with the most games in my list is Sony with 7 titles. Nintendo comes in second with 4, Rockstar and Microsoft joint third with 3, and Konami with 2.
  • The majority of my list features games that are, or were exclusive at one point. In fact, a whopping 21 games out of the 25, are or were at one point exclusive.
  • The listed games are fairly evenly split between Japanese and Western titles, but do lean slightly more towards Western.

So post your own Top 25 along with some key take aways from your list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems quite interesting instead of it just being a simple list thread... will post later

Cool.

I get that 25 Games plus take aways might be a bit of an ask, but I figure the smaller the number of games the less there is to try and gauge trends or points of interest from.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya this would take me a while to write up. I notice my list changes almost monthly now. Lol. Good post tho. A good chunk of those would be in mine.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ya this would take me a while to write up. I notice my list changes almost monthly now. Lol. Good post tho. A good chunk of those would be in mine.

Yea mine changes a lot too, both in terms of games and their order. But I feel like that's sort of correlating to my gaming experiences too.

Sometimes I'm just in the mood for certain types of games, other times I'm not. For example, the first time I played BotW I found it a bit repetitive and empty, but then I gave it another stab and now it's in my top 10 lol.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
FF4
FF7
Dragon Quest IV
SD Gundam Generation F
SD GUNDAM G Generation Spirits
Gundam Battle Universe
PS2 PES
Golden Sun 1&2
Zelda Oracle games
Mario Kart DS
Breath of the Wild
Shadow of the Colossus
Gran Turismo 4/5/Sport
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
GTA V
Persona 5
SMT Strange Journey
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Arkham City
REmake 2
Metal Gear Solid V

Pattern?
Story driven Final Fantasy (or JRPG in general)
GUNDAM
Megaten
Nintendo Handheld
Sim Racing
SoulsBorne

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My list is Probably some Japanese games

Twilight princess
Bloodborne
Mario galaxy
Mario kart 8

Yep these 3 are it yo

I like 3rd person Japanese games with less story, shit ton of gameplay

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FF4
FF7
Dragon Quest IV
SD Gundam Generation F
SD GUNDAM G Generation Spirits
Gundam Battle Universe
PS2 PES
Golden Sun 1&2
Zelda Oracle games
Mario Kart DS
Breath of the Wild
Shadow of the Colossus
Gran Turismo 4/5/Sport
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
GTA V
Persona 5
SMT Strange Journey
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Arkham City
REmake 2
Metal Gear Solid V

Pattern?
Story driven Final Fantasy (or JRPG in general)
GUNDAM
Megaten
Nintendo Handheld
Sim Racing
SoulsBorne

I'd say another pattern was that your list trends predominantly towards Japanese games, not to mention JRPG's or potentially slightly towards games with a heavier narrative element.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Shooting from the hip, but here goes:

Rocket League
CS GO
Halo
FF7
Mass Effect 2
Cod 4
FF6
BOTW
Spelunky
Hollow Knight
Symphony of the Night
Mario Galaxy
Smash Bros. OG
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia
Stardew Valley
Dragon Warrior
Super Castlevania
Shadow of the Colossus
Uncharted 2
Bastion
Diablo 3
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dark Souls
Demon Souls

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to do a numbered order because I honestly can't decide (Halo 3 is my clear number one though)

Halo 3
The Last of Us
Red Dead 2
Halo Reach
Halo 2
Halo 1
Halo 3: ODST
Gears of War 3
Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Dead Space
COD 4
Red Dead 1
Skyrim
portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Uncharted 2
Limbo
NBA 2k11
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Gears of War 2
Black Ops 2
Alan Wake

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to do a numbered order because I honestly can't decide (Halo 3 is my clear number one though)

Halo 3
The Last of Us
Red Dead 2
Halo Reach
Halo 2
Halo 1
Halo 3: ODST
Gears of War 3
Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Dead Space
COD 4
Red Dead 1
Skyrim
portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Uncharted 2
Limbo
NBA 2k11
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Gears of War 2
Black Ops 2
Alan Wake

Damn, every single game in your list is from a Western dev lol. I'd say there's a fair multiplayer emphasis too, not to mention a trend towards shooters and also Microsoft IP's (notably Halo).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have a top 10 games of all time.

I can say 25 that I like though, but that would be a list of games that don't mean much to me.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I did my top 100 games two years ago for my blog/website. Since it didn't have any 2018/2019 games on it, I sat down and thought about which ones might make my top 25 and came up with this:

25. Into The Breach
24. Super Metroid
23. Marvel's Spider-Man
22. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
21. Rockin' Kats
20. Alan Wake
19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
18. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
17. Dark Souls
16. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
15. Bloodborne
14. Persona 5
13. Final Fantasy Tactics
12. Day of the Tentacle
11. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
10. Bioshock Infinite
9. Star Fox 64
8. XCOM 2
7. Earthbound
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. Tetris Attack
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Mega Man 3
1. Chrono Trigger

I'm obviously a huge SNES fan. Most of my formative years were playing the SNES, so it's no surprise a whole bunch of SNES games are in there. Most of my games are single-player games which makes sense since I spend most of my time playing single-player. Only one FPS, which is kind of surprising to me as I do like those games but none have really impressed me to make my top games apparently. Lots of RPGs/strategy games which makes sense as those are probably my favorite genres. Most of my favorites are games that are favorites of other people or are well-regarded in general the only outliers are probably Tetris Attack and Rockin' Kats which are games I have strong nostalgic childhood feelings for.

Most of the games in the top 10 I've replayed multiple times (at least 3 times in each case, some in the 10s and the top 3-4 I may have reached 20 replays on). I think of the games on the list, only some of the more modern ones I haven't replayed at all - Alan Wake, Spider-Man, Persona 5 - just due to time commitment. Nostalgia favors heavily for me, it's hard for me to unseat games I loved as a child. Bioshock Infinite and XCOM 2 took years before I even allowed them in the top 10. It broke my heart to move Super Mario RPG out of the top 10.

Funny enough, no two games from the same series feature in my top 25 at all, the closest is Dark Souls and Bloodborne both being up there and Final Fantasy Vi/Final Fantasy Tactics sort of being the same series but not quite.

Jul 10, 2018
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Chrono Trigger
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Metroid Prime
Silent Hill 2
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 2
The Last of Us
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
God of War (2018)

Analysis:
-Very apparent what my favorite franchises are
-Pretty much all single player games, many with a heavy focus on story/narrative
-Good mix of Western and Japanese RPG's
-Older games on the list tend to be Japanese while the newer games are mostly Western
-Only 2 games from before the 5th gen , all 2 being JRPGs. This is mostly because platformers, schmups and beat em ups were prevalent genres and those aren't my favorite genres.

Jul 10, 2018
I did my top 100 games two years ago for my blog/website. Since it didn't have any 2018/2019 games on it, I sat down and thought about which ones might make my top 25 and came up with this:

25. Into The Breach
24. Super Metroid
23. Marvel's Spider-Man
22. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
21. Rockin' Kats
20. Alan Wake
19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
18. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
17. Dark Souls
16. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
15. Bloodborne
14. Persona 5
13. Final Fantasy Tactics
12. Day of the Tentacle
11. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
10. Bioshock Infinite
9. Star Fox 64
8. XCOM 2
7. Earthbound
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. Tetris Attack
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Mega Man 3
1. Chrono Trigger

I'm obviously a huge SNES fan. Most of my formative years were playing the SNES, so it's no surprise a whole bunch of SNES games are in there. Most of my games are single-player games which makes sense since I spend most of my time playing single-player. Only one FPS, which is kind of surprising to me as I do like those games but none have really impressed me to make my top games apparently. Lots of RPGs/strategy games which makes sense as those are probably my favorite genres. Most of my favorites are games that are favorites of other people or are well-regarded in general the only outliers are probably Tetris Attack and Rockin' Kats which are games I have strong nostalgic childhood feelings for.

Most of the games in the top 10 I've replayed multiple times (at least 3 times in each case, some in the 10s and the top 3-4 I may have reached 20 replays on). I think of the games on the list, only some of the more modern ones I haven't replayed at all - Alan Wake, Spider-Man, Persona 5 - just due to time commitment. Nostalgia favors heavily for me, it's hard for me to unseat games I loved as a child. Bioshock Infinite and XCOM 2 took years before I even allowed them in the top 10. It broke my heart to move Super Mario RPG out of the top 10.

Funny enough, no two games from the same series feature in my top 25 at all, the closest is Dark Souls and Bloodborne both being up there and Final Fantasy Vi/Final Fantasy Tactics sort of being the same series but not quite.

Wow dude, I honestly expected me to be the only person to have Bioshock Infinite on their list, did not expect to see it come up so fast.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Wow dude, I honestly expected me to be the only person to have Bioshock Infinite on their list, did not expect to see it come up so fast.

It gets a lot of flak but honestly the powers + gunplay is some of the best FPS gameplay I've ever played. I love the different Vigors and the story is great. I've just gotten used to being an outlier for this particular game, heh.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'd say another pattern was that your list trends predominantly towards Japanese games, not to mention JRPG's or potentially slightly towards games with a heavier narrative element.
I didn't fully embrace western games until Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2. I had played some PC essentials like Baldur's Gate 2 and Half-Life though.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
gamings never been my number one hobby but let's see how this goes
  1. Rocket League
  2. Uncharted 2
  3. The last of us
  4. Apex legends
  5. Resistance fall of man
  6. Super Mario 64
  7. Call of duty modern warfare 4
  8. Ratchet and Clank tools of destruction
  9. Modern warfare 2
  10. Breath of the wild
  11. Bioshock infinite
  12. Smack down shut your mouth
  13. Spyro
  14. Def Jan fight for new york
  15. Uncharted
  16. Uncharted 4
  17. Insomniac spiderman
  18. NBA 2k11
  19. Need for speed hot pursuit (2011)
  20. Ratchet and clank crack in time
  21. GTA 5
  22. Burnout paradise
  23. Mario kart
  24. Assassins creed black flag
  25. DBZ budokai

26. im sure I forgot some. And this is definitive not in order, mostly as I remembered them
  27. Rocket league is number 1 because I've never met a better stress reliever than loud music, rocket league 2v2 and some beer.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Kingdom Hearts II
  2. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  3. Pokemon Red & Blue
  4. Kingdom Hearts
  5. Final Fantasy XII
  6. Resident Evil 4
  7. God of War (2018)
  8. The Last of Us
  9. Hearthstone
  10. The Last Guardian
  11. Tetris
  12. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  13. Final Fantasy X
  14. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  15. LittleBigPlanet
  16. Bioshock
  17. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  18. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
  19. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  20. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  21. Resident Evil 2 Remake
  22. Marvel's Spider-Man
  23. Resident Evil 5
  24. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  25. Bioshock Infinite

I didn't want to load up my list with Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts, so I tried to limit my list to 1 or 2 per franchise (with Resident Evil being the one exception I made)
I have a lot of nostalgia for PS3 lately, so that might factor into my decision to have so many PS3 games high on my list.

Love Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Final Fantasy and survival horror.
I considered putting Doom 3 on my list, because I find it to be the most interesting in the franchise. WWE Day of Reckoning also narrowly missed the list. You can probably tell that I heavily lean toward single-player games.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'm going to need to give this some thought but I want to say this is a very cool thread. Rather than being a simple lost thread you're asking us to parse our preferences which is very interesting. Thanks for the great read! You also have great taste, based on your list.

Aug 31, 2019
Super Mario Bros. 3
Yoshi's Island
Megaman X
Bomberman 5
Chrono Trigger
Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past
Pokémon Soul Silver
Pokémon Fire Red
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Rock Band World Tour
Batman Arkham City
Super Mario Galaxy
Monster Hunter 3U
The Sims
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Super Smash Bros. Meelee
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
The Settlers 2
Advance Wars
Old School Runescape
Age of Empires 3
Super Mario Maker

My conclusions:
1. I am old;
2. SNES is very present, and also games with "16-bit" aesthetic in general;
3. I love Nintendo;
4. I like "gamey" games, I don't really care for narrative and cinematic experiences;
5. I don't like some popular genres like sports, MOBAs and shooters;
6. I don't love recent games, but I do find a lot of them interesting.

Borocor

Oct 27, 2017
1.Baldur's Gate 2
2.Dark Souls
3.Civilization 4
4.Halo: Combat Evolved
5.Slay The Spire
6.Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
7.The Witness
8.Forza Horizon 3
9.Might & Magic 6
10.No One Lives Forever 2
11.Bioshock
12.Red Dead Redemption 2
13.Inside
14.Diablo 2
15.Call Of Duty MW2
16.Portal 2
17.The Witcher 3
18.Grand Theft Auto 4
19.Prey(2018)
20.Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
21.Darkest Dungeon
22.Assassin's Creed Odyssey
23.Sunset Overdrive
24.Rocket League
25.Planetside 2

-15 of the 25 played on PC
-Others are XBox, with all of them double-dipped on PC where available.
-Breath Of the Wild, lol.
-Slay The Spire may be my #1 game of all time by the time I get done with it.
-While puzzle platformers are not really my genre, I consider Inside a perfect game. I can't imagine anything that could improve it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to think about my full list but I can name one right away. I'll update with the rest when I decide.

1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Shadow Hearts
4. LoZ: Majora's Mask
5. Xenogears
6. LoZ: Ocarina Of Time
7. Tactics Ogre
8. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
9. Dragon Quest VIII
10. Uncharted 4
11. Trails in The Sky: SC
12. Final Fantasy XIV
13. Breath Of Fire III
14. Pokemon Silver
15. Final Fantasy VII
16. Metal Gear Solid
17. Breath of Fire IV
18. Parasite Eve
19. Digimon World
20. Warcraft 3
21. Front Mission 3
22. Resident Evil 2
23. Ace Attorney 3
24. The Last Of Us
25. Mario RPG

I wanted to include Danganronpa but I can't put it over anything in the list right now. I also was thinking of X and X-2 but my list is so overloaded with Final Fantasy games that I couldn't squeeze them in over anything.

1. The list is RPG heavy. I'm a massive fan of the genre so it makes sense.

2. Final Fantasy VIII is number one and always will be for me because it's such a visually gorgeous game and incredibly ambitious with it's approach to the RPG genre. The soundtrack on its own is quite possibly one of the best in gaming. Memorable and catchy it manages to perfectlty suit the atmosphere of each scene. The cinematics look fantastic even today and the world and characters are relatable. No game has ever left the same kind of impression on me that this one did.

Last edited:

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
25. Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Super Mario 3D World
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
Flashback
The Evil Within
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Breath of the Wild
Halo 3
Knights in the Nightmare
Symphony of the Night
Battlefield V
Killing Floor 2
Bioshock Infinite
GTAV
Dead Space
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Magic the Gathering Arena
Yoshi's Island
The Walking Dead Season 1
Diablo II
The Division
Darkest Dungeon
XCOM 2
1. SOMA

- With some exception, I think games from this and last generation beat out older games, even though I've been playing since the NES.
- I enjoy a wide variety of genres.
- If you have a great story like SOMA, The Walking Dead, Human Revolution or Bioshock Infinite, you will go far. I just haven't played many other games where the story had a real impact on me, but I want to play more "walking sims".
- Games that are beautiful or atmospheric have a big advantage.

aLaxLuthor

Oct 29, 2017
Great Idea - Without putting to much thought into it:
  1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Minecraft
  3. Halo 3
  4. Bioshock
  5. Assassins Creed Black Flag
  6. Metal Gear Solid V
  7. Rome: Total War
  8. The Witcher 3
  9. The Witness
  10. The Secret of Monkey Island
  11. Rocket League
  12. Skyrim
  13. To The Moon
  14. Red Dead Redemption 2
  15. Hotline Miami
  16. WWF No Mercy
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  18. Civilization 2
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld
  20. Marvel Vs Capcom 2
  21. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  22. Just Cause 2
  23. The Walking Dead - Season 1
  24. Super Castlevania 4
  25. Skate 3

So some of these may not be the best in their series, but they are either the ones I've played most, or the first that left the biggest impression on me.

Observations:
Recency bias - A lot of the games are within the last generation or 2. Games are getting better, it's primarily the nostalgia for the some games that has them on the list (Monkey Island)/
Offline - Only Rocket League & Halo 3 are what I would play on-line from this list.
Downer endings - I like games with downer endings, which explains why some games are so high up (RDR, Black Flag etc)

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
This is tough, working on my list now, I'm trying to remember back to my childhood to what I remember spending a lot of time playing, a top 25 is surprisingly difficult to narrow down, but this is a fun thread!

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
1.Final Fantasy X
2.Street Fighter II
3.Super Smash Bros. Melee
4.Persona 3
5.Tekken Tag Tournament
6.Dead or Alive: Ultimate
7.Resident Evil (2002)
8.Parasite Eve
9.Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
10.Spider-Man (2000)
11.Final Fantasy VII
12.Street Fighter Alpha 3
13.Persona 5
14.Super Mario 3D World
15.Resident Evil (1996)
16.Tekken 3
17.Tekken 2
18.Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
19.Final Fantasy IX
20.Yakuza 2
21.Yakuza
22.Tekken 5
23.SoulCalibur II
24.Ninja Gaiden (2004)
25.Super Smash Bros.

23/25 are Japanese games.
None are from the seventh generation (PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii).

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I'd been trying to whittle down a top 10 in recent months; I'm using those considerations to make up the bulk of this list, which is ordered by platform

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Donkey Kong 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SSX 3
Tales of Symphonia
NBA Street Vol. 2
Viewtiful Joe
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Meteos
Mario Kart DS
MLB Power Pros 2008
Civilization V
Turbo Dismount
Rocket League
Metal Gear Solid V
Stardew Valley
XCOM 2
Forza Horizon 3
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Hitman 2
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2

- I feel sheepish including some of the sports/racing titles on a list like this, but it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of my tastes or playtime if I didn't. I probably could have included more.

- It's been a long time since I've played anything on this list that was released before this gen, and I don't think I'm the best judge of them. So I feel like I'm overrepresenting my time with Xbox One and Switch. Four of these games came out in the last 12 months!

- Conversely, there are three games on this list released between 2005 and 2015, which just about corresponds to the time when I did the least gaming. I had a Wii, which has all of one representative on the list.

- Turbo Dismount is the game on this list that is probably least likely to have been heard of. It's a 10 dollar game on Steam, there's a free to play mobile version. It's a simple, silly little thing that nevertheless kept me occupied for hours at a time when I was least invested in gaming.

- I strained to not have sequels on this list, at least in more iterative titles. God knows I enjoyed Hitman 2016 and Advance Wars 2, but they were pretty well supplanted by their successors.

- Three people ITT have picked Forza Horizon 3, but not 4, which feels noteworthy. I thought I was alone in that preference.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1. Metroid Prime 2
2. Mass Effect
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Rocket League
5. Dark Souls
6. Tetris
7. Resident Evil 4
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
9. Super Mario World
10. Super Mario Kart
11. Rock Band 3
12. Journey
13. Animal Crossing
14. Mass Effect 2
15. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
16. Metal Gear Solid 2
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. The Last of Us
19. Red Dead Redemption 2
20. Portal 2
21. Bayonetta
22. Assassins Creed: Odyssey
23. Bioshock
24. Super Mario Brothers 3
25. Half Life 2

1. Most of my favorite games are really popular...like hmmm....I feel like I'm probably missing a lot of games, but these are kind of "off the cuff", not thinking too hard, so maybe I'm just listing a bunch of popular games, but I really like all of these. I feel like they are all amongst my favorite games.
2. It's mainly single player kind of journeys to a degree. The handful of multiplayer games aren't overly competitive at their core, and basically Rocket League I've ever cared about being good at.
3. A lot more recency bias than I would have expected from myself. My first console was a 2600, and if I would have done this list even 10 years ago, it would have probably been half 8-bit and 16-bit games. I just don't go back to those games as much as I once did.
4. Less current gen than I would have thought too. I feel like I have played some incredible games over the last 6 years, but when it comes down to "but is it better than Half Life 2?" I'm still not sure. Like I just played Spiderman and it was incredible, but "is it better than Half Life 2?" It's tough because now am I just remembering HL2 as being something better and more impactful than it was? I did just play it and it was still pretty good.
5. I have way too much time on my hands. I don't know why I just made this list.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like ranking games numerically but I can provide a general list of the first 25 I can think of.

S Tier:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 6
Star Craft: Brood War
Baldur's Gate 2
Half Life+CS
Bloodborne
SSBM
Resident Evil 4

Top Tier:
Celeste
Psychonauts
Ori and the Blind Forest
Inside
Rocket League
Half Life 2
Portal 1+2
Hollow Knight
Undertale
The Witcher 3
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2

Not critically acclaimed but resonate with me anyway:
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon 2

Western: 17
Japanese: 8

Really not sure what the commonality between any of that is. Seems to be all over the place outside of an appreciation for quirky and unique characters as well as multiplayer games with a lot of depth. More Western than Japanese but that's largely because of all the amazing Indie titles.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  1. The Last of Us Remastered (9.85)
  2. Persona 4 Golden (9.85)
  3. The Witcher 3 + Expansions (9.85)
  4. Portal 2 (9.85)
  5. Super Mario Odyssey (9.83)
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (9.71)
  7. God of War [2018] (9.71)
  8. Persona 5 (9.71)
  9. Bloodborne (9.71)
  10. Fallout New Vegas (9.57)
  11. Red Dead Redemption (9.57)
  12. Grand Theft Auto V (9.57)
  13. Uncharted 2 (9.57)
  14. Yakuza 0 (9.57)
  15. Uncharted 4 (9.57)
  16. Modern Warfare 2 (9.57)
  17. Batman Arkham City (9.42)
  18. Celeste (9.33)
  19. Mass Effect 2 (9.28)
  20. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (9.16)
  21. Super Mario Galaxy (9.16)
  22. Shadow of the Colossus (9.16)
  23. Zelda: BOTW (9.14)
  24. Dishonored (9.14)
  25. Metal Gear Solid (9.14)
Analysis
Side Note: No classics because I only got serious about gaming during the last gen (never really had a console until I got a PS3 in 2009), so I've only mainly played games from 2010s to present. But I have tried to play the classics once in a while.

- My scoring system is a bit whack and I'm still working on it, but yeah I'm surprised I don't have a 10 so far. Although I would consider obvious games like Tetris or Mario Bros 3 as Perfect Titles.
-Out of all of these, my most played titles are TLOU (7), Uncharted 2 (5), Persona 4 (3), Dishonored (3), GTA V and RDR (2).
-P4G was my first JRPG game, also my 2nd favorite game of all time is Vita Exclusive #VitaMeansLife
-Huge ND, R* and Persona fan, So I'm a bit bias.
-Surprised to see BOTW so low, but honestly I loved everything about it and I can't wait for the sequel (more room for improvement in story please).
-MGS1 is still the best MGS game.
-Ace Attorney was played on my iPod Touch and it was my first VN game.
-Bloodborne is my first FromSoft game I beaten, surprisingly, I found TLOU Grounded harder than Bloodborne.
-New Vegas is a mess of game on technical level but I f-ing loved every minute of it.
-Celeste being my only top Indie game is a surprise given how much raged playing it XD
-I have a soft spot for MW2 since it was my first online multiplayer game.
-I need to play more classics. It just impossible to make time for them because newer games are bigger and longer.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
In no particular order:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (okay this one is in order. It's my favorite game of all time.)
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IX
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
World of Warcraft
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Rune Factory 4
Yakuza 0
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Undertale
Fate/Stay Night
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Super Mario 64
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Sonic Adventure
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Fire Emblem Awakening
Final Fantasy X
Portal 2

• They're pretty much all RPGs and platformers with a few outliers like Yakuza 0 and Guilty Gear.
  • A lot of these are games I played mostly recently and don't have much nostalgia for. Not all though.
  • A couple of years ago, this list would look very differently. My interests changed a lot in a short time.
  • A lot of romance in this list. I'm kind of a sucker for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
1 Diablo 2 Lod
2 Starcraft
3 EverQuest
4 Ff7
5 Chrono trigger
6 Super Mario Bros 3
7 Lufia 2 rise of the sinistrals
8 Zelda LTTP
9 Zelda Botw
10 Bloodborne
11 Demon's souls
12 Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
13 Earthbound
14 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
15 Hollow Knight
16 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
17 Monster Rancher
18 Wolfenstein 3d
19 Xenogears
20 Pokemon Red
21 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
22 Super Metroid
23 Final Fantasy Tactics
24 Ages of Empires
25 Guitar Hero 2

Not in any particular order, don't think I could properly do that, would be really difficult.
Started gaming on MS-DOS and NES but I was so young back then that I can't add much from that era. SNES/PS1 definitely was my sweet spot. Lotta late 90s early 00s PC gaming too.

Some RTS, RPG, adventure games. One WRPG, lots of classics on my list. Skews Japanese devs with some notable Western developers. And mostly older games. Definitely haven't been playing as much as I would like to recently but life comes at ya fast. Demon's souls really brought me back to console gaming. A top 50 list would be fun too, really tough to narrow down 25. Fun thread!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
*****All games are assumed to have full DLC/Expansions included*****

25 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
24 DOOM (2016)
23 Forza Horizon 4
22 Age of Mythology
21 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
20 MGS: Ground Zeroes
19 Dishonored 2
18 Grim Fandango
17 Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
16 Fallout 3
15 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
14 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
13 Dishonored
12 Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
11 Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
10 Prey (2017)
09 Hitman 2
08 Dark Souls
07 Deus Ex
06 Freespace II
05 Age of Empires II
04 Fallout: New Vegas
03 The Witness
02 Shadow of the Colossus
01 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • 21 out of 25 games on the list are western games.
  • I think there's some great generational diversity.
  • Immersive Sims are heavily represented.
  • Polish, while obviously great to have, is not a requisite for being beloved by me. I'm more interested in the game's ideas. The scary thing is how much better some of these games would have been with better production values.
Edit - just realized I forgot Ninja Gaiden Black. Yikes. A top 15 game for sure.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
hmm
  1. Ocarina of Time
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Red Dead Redemption 1
  4. Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
  5. Dragon Age: Origins
  6. The Witcher 3
  7. Dark Souls
  8. God of War (2018)
  9. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
  10. Chromehounds
  11. Metroid Fusion
  12. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  13. Halo: Combat Evolved
  14. Fable 2
  15. Civilization 2
  16. Total War: Warhammer series
  17. Devil May Cry V
  18. Doom (2016)
  19. P.T.
  20. Unreal Tournament 2003
  21. For Honor
  22. Batman Arkham City
  23. Bioshock 2
  24. Prey (2017)
  25. Bastion
Tried to stick to 1 per developer. I would add a MGS game or an Assassins Creed in there, but it wouldnt fit (they would be Subsistence and Odyssey), and I tried to stick to games which I felt were most formative to my tastes instead of games I might actually say are best. For example, Bastion is a game which I think might not be as good as something like Journey or Inside, but it was far more formative to my tastes than those games.

EDIT: Oh man, Mount & Blade Warband should be on there...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
No order, just the games...

- STALKER SOC
- Doom (Original)
- Halo CE
- Halo 2
- Quake
- Dark Souls
- Bloodborne
- Rayman Origins
- Hollow Knight
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Mario Kart 8
- Burnout 2
- Ridge Racers PSP
- Time Crisis 2
- Rocket Knight Adventure
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Geometry Wars 2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Street Fighter Alpha 3
- Tekken 3
- Red Alert 2
- Inside
- Wipeout 2097
- Super Meat Boy
- Final Fantasy 7

Observations, I covered plenty of paltforms and genres but there are still huge blindspots. For instance, even though I have more PC games than a lot of people so far I missed out on many classics in my time. Likewise, I have owned most Nintendo platforms but was a Sega kid growing up and it shines through in my list. I wish I had time to play all of the great games released, alas here we are!

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
1. Bloodborne
Company of Heroes
Witcher 3
Dark Souls
Xcom 2
Diablo
Street Fighter 2 (arcade)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Warcraft 2
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Genesis)
Halo
Team Fortress 2
Rome Total War
Civ 2
Golden Axe (Genesis)
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Skyrim
Frozen Synapse
FTL
Military Madness
Some starship game I played in the arcade as a kid that was 2 player and each player did totally different things- one was pilot, other was navigator.
Ghosts 'n Goblins (Genesis)
Tron (arcade)
25. Dark Souls 3

I prefer evocative worlds with fun combat and a lack of cheesy dialogue or adolescent characters. I simply cannot abide JRPG or Anime- FF Tactics was an anomaly. I watched a friend play large chunks of FFVII, and I just didn't get the appeal. Skyrim only stuck with me as my first AAA 3D RPG.

CoH is by far my most played game, and the only MP game I was ever close to being really good at. I'll still log in every now and then. It's hard to believe you still get thousands logging in each day.

I'm old enough to have spent time in arcades. I'll always prefer that experience to gaming on a couch, but I just couldn't remember any top 25 arcade games besides SF2, Tron, and the unnamed fighter game. Only played the latter once, but it was the single greatest gaming experience of my life.

Reading other people's lists for these kinds of topics- sometimes it seems like RTS never even existed.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
My top 10:
  1. Xenoblade Chronicles (10/10)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (10/10)
  3. Celeste (10/10)
  4. Persona 4 (10/10)
  5. Super Mario Galaxy (10/10)
  6. The Last of Us (10/10)
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (9/10)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (9/10)
  9. Resident Evil 4 (9/10)
  10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (9/10)
In no particular order (all 9/10 games):
  • God of War (2018)
  • Pokemon Black and White
  • Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)
  • Paper Mario
  • Super Mario World
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Undertale
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Persona 3
  • Spec Ops: The Line
If it's not already apparent, I really like Nintendo games, and especially Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Every single game on this list,with the exception of Spec Ops, has an 85 or above on Metacritic.

Maybe it's because I never grew up with Sony, but their games have rarely resonated with me, with TLOU and God of War being the exceptions.

The reason why I loved Celeste is the same reason why I could never get into Soulsborne games - I can respect their design, but being so punishing with character death is incredibly exhausting and demotivating. Celeste, on the other hand, is really hard and really well designed, but really forgiving with death.

The Gamecube/DS/Wii era was truly incredible for Nintendo RPGs, and it's a shame that the quality of Nintendo RPGs fell off a cliff in the 3DS/early Switch era.

Xenoblade 1 is my favorite game of all time. Maybe that's why I was so underwhelmed by Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2.

If Xenoblade 1, Persona 3 and 4, The Last of Us, God of War, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Undertale, and Witcher 3 are any indication, I love great character writing in my games, even more so than a great narrative. Conversely, bad character writing can kill a game for me, which is why Fire Emblem: Fates and Xenoblade 2 are in my most hated games list.

I like grey (or even black) morality in my games, and I'll never forget Witcher 3 or Spec Ops: The Line for this reason.

Last edited:

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Fallout: New Vegas
Mother 3
Undertale
Silent Hill 2
Hitman 2016/Hitman 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Persona 4
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Persona 3
Trauma Team
Stardew Valley
Metal Gear Solid 3
Red Dead Redemption 2
Bayonetta
Earthbound
Danganronpa 2
Yakuza 0
Pokemon HeartGold
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
We Love Katamari

• 80% are Japanese
  • 8% are Indie titles
  • As much as I love the genre, only 4 are Visual Novels, though many are dialogue heavy
  • Only one horror game on the list
  • Oldest title is Earthbound (08/27/94), newest title is Fire Emblem: Three Houses (07/26/19)
  • I prefer games with strong stories, with exceptions.
  • FNV is my #1 game of all time, the others are in no particular order

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Quick Note: I'm just a University student. So you're not gonna be seeing many "oldies".

1. Danganronpa (As a series. Because fuck you.)
  2. Ninja Gaiden Black
  3. Dark Souls 3
  4. Bloodborne
  5. Infamous 2
  6. Devil Survivor: Overclocked
  7. Titanfall 2
  8. SMT Nocturne
  9. Ace Attorney 3
  10. God of War 3
  11. Devil May Cry 3
  12. Devil May Cry 5
  13. Dark Souls
  14. Dishonoured
  15. Ninja Gaiden 2 (And Sigma 2 as well, they're both great)
  16. God of War 2
  17. God of War 1
  18. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (I can see myself getting a lot of hate for this)
  19. Xenoblade Chronicles
  20. Kid Icarus: Uprising
  21. Ace Attorney
  22. The World Ends With You
  23. Spec Ops: The Line
  24. Resident Evil 4
  25. Assault Spy
I'm pretty shaky on this list, because the more I think about it, the more I realize that most of the games I played are really bland and unmemorable.

Patterns:
- Generally have really good combat
- More gameplay oriented
- More Japanese than western, but can go either way, really
- Mostly action games

If anyone can discern something else, please tell me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, impossible. 25 ranked games? No way. I'll just list 25 games that I absolutely love without ranking.
Western games are dominant, though I consider Resident Evil 4 to be the finest action game of all time.

Mostly single player, narrative driven games, but I have several thousands of hours in TF2, so it had to be there. L4D is my favorite co-op game, and PUBG is just... I mean, as many problems it had/has, there is something that game makes me feel that no other game achieves, not even other battle royales. It is by far the most adrenaline pumping game. Black Ops got an entry too - I thought it was the peak in terms of CoD's slick, action movie like campaign as it actually had a really interesting narrative, combined with MW2-esque MP (and the PC version still had a server browser..)

Red Dead 2 is probably my #1 even if I attempted a numbered list, though recency bias and all... but having replayed it, my opinion hasn't changed. It's a dream video game for me, amazing setting, top tier writing and a breath taking immersive world to get lost in.

I'm also a big fan of racing games, something that often get overlooked. Horizon 2 and 3 were easily the GOTY's of their respective years for me, for example. Adn Horizon 3 rightfully deseves a place on this list. I thought of including other Horizons but, it feels like the ultimate one. Similiarly, I was thinking about Gran Turismo 2, but GT4 just covers it really well IMO.

Red Dead Redemption 2
Red Dead Redemption
Witcher 3
GTA 5
GTA San Andreas
Mafia
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Resident Evil 4
Dragon Age Origins
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Life is Strange
Mario 64
Super Mario World
Mario Kart 8
Forza Horizon 3
Need for Speed: Porsche
Gran Turismo 4
Uncharted 4
Uncharted 2
The Last of Us
PUBG
Dishonored 2
CoD Black Ops

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Last of Us
2. Final Fantasy 10
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Uncharted 2
5. The Witcher 3
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Dragon Age Origins
9. Bioshock
10. Mass Effect 2
11. Dead Space
12. Horizon Zero Dawn
13. Fallout 3
14. God of War
15. Halo 2
16. Red Dead Redemption 2
17. Red Dead Redemption
18. Persona 5
19. Mass Effect 3
20. Resident Evil
21. Final Fantasy 9
22. Gears of War 2
23. God of War 2
24. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
25. Uncharted 4

Observations:
• No pre PS1 games despite owning a NES and Sega Genesis as a kid none of those games stuck with me like these.
• 8 first party games (6 PS 2 Xbox)
• Mostly Western games 19-6
• More then half of my games are from the PS3/Xbox360 Era
• 20 of my games are from the last 2 generations which makes sense as I've played more games this decade then I played in my childhood/early 20's

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
25 is a good number. i'm going to play fast and loose here and probably revise this:

999: nine hours, nine persons, nine doors (ds)
adventure (atari 2600)
bayonetta (360)
beyond good & evil (ps2)
half-life 2 episode 2 (360)
infinite space (ds)
jet grind radio (dc)
panzer dragoon saga (sat)
pokemon red (gb)
ratchet & clank future: a crack in time (ps3)
resident evil 4 (gc)
shadow of the colossus (ps2)
skies of arcadia (dc)
sonic the hedgehog 2 (gen)
super mario 64 (n64)
super mario bros. (nes)
super mario bros. 3 (nes)
super mario galaxy 2 (wii)
super metroid (snes)
team fortress 2 (pc)
terranigma (snes)
the legend of zelda: link's awakening (gb)
the legend of zelda: ocarina of time (n64)
tony hawk's pro skater (dc)
undertale (pc)
valkyria chronicles (ps3)

this is more of a list informed by emotional attachment than a critical look at these games today. ocarina of time reeeeeeally doesn't stand up like it used to, but i can't deny myself the strong feelings the game brought out in 1998 and now.

7 of these games were played between 1998 and 2001, which was when i finally was getting some income and had a regular rotation of games to play. with those being some of my first modern games, as well as going from owning an atari/nes/game boy to an n64 and dreamcast with all of the rapid changes to game design happening, coupled with getting older, i think it's why so many of these games still resonate with me even if they aren't that great to play in 2019.

4 games came from prior to that time, and the next big chunk happened between 2007 and 2010. i played 7 games in that time frame too. it's when i finally had a part-time job and disposable income. it allowed me to go outside of my comfort zone and try things i normally would have ignored.

there's only two games on that list that i played after 2010: undertale, which is the most recent release, and panzer dragoon saga, which is the most recent game i've played. it's a lot harder to find that new, interesting thing that sparks the imagination again. tetris effect might be on this list a few years from now though. hard to say right now.

platformers, action-adventure games, and rpgs are almost evenly split as my top genres, which checks out in general against my overall library. the most common publisher is nintendo, and there's not really any one main platform, though the dreamcast does have three slots.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
1. Suikoden II
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Diablo II
4. Starcraft
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Gears of War
7. Halo 3
8. Persona 4 Golden
9. Final Fantasy XIV
10. Super Mario Galaxy
11. Super Mario World
12. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
13. Batman Arkham Asylum
14. Dark Souls II
15. Dead Space
16. NBA Jam TE
17. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB
18. Final Fantasy X
19. WWD Wrestlemania 2000
20. TMNT Turtles in Time
21. Mario Kart 64
22. Battlefield 1942
23. Mass Effect 2
24. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
25. Metal Gear Solid

List isn't really in any order.
Takeaways: I like a lot of different types of games, but seem to enjoy RPG quite a bit. My tastes don't include anything from this gen, but I've enjoyed quite a few games this gen. My list includes sports games, never even thought how much I like those games or how much time I used to spend playing them. I liked a "simpler time" in gaming overall.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid
FF Tactics
Castlevania SoTN

Rest in no order

Resident Evil 2(PS1)
Shenmue 1
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
LoZ Ocarina of Time
Silent Hill 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3
Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy 7
FF 10
Kingdom Hearts 1
The Last of Us
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed 2
Final Fantasy 11
Grandia 1
Killer Instinct 1
Super Mario 64
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
FF9
Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid 3

I know I forgot some that deserve to be on here but whatevs.

Ya I forgot KoToR 1.. Take out killer instinct for that maybe.