• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I don't buy complete albums as much as I used to. With iTunes and other options out there the ability to cherry pick music is too great to ignore. It used to be we had to buy a CD/Cassette/whatever and hope that we got a few great songs we liked and dealt with it but now, we can just but the songs we like and move on. There are, however, albums out there that are absolutely worth the price of admissions, albums that have songs that, alone are great, but as a whole add so much more to the experience. Albums that you don't skip any songs on because they build on the song before it.

What are your top 3 no skip albums? Tell us why.

Mine are:

1. Weezer Blue album -the perfect chill nerd rock album, every song slaps in it's own way
  2. NOFX Punk 'N Drublic - builds and builds and builds. Lets you know how punk they are
  3. Modest Mouse We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank - being a MM fan for so long this one took awhile but it's probably my fav. So good
Runner up: Rancid And Out Come the Wolves - See the Nofx comment

Cheat: Nofx The Decline - "one" song but amazing crescendo.

Last edited:

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
1. Logic - The Incredible True Story
2. Jon Bellion - The Human Condition
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse Soundtrack

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Isaiah Rashad: The Suns Tirade
It's just such a vibe

Radiohead: amnesiac
Or ok computer honestly.

Nas: Illmatic
short and perfect, can't believe how young this kid was to drop this masterpiece

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if I can make a top three at the spot, but The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound is one for sure.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Autechre - Incunabula -- early accessible electronic music before they got... well... yknow. Love the groovy bass.
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (there's a couple I don't love, but I don't skip 'em) -- Reznor's best. A couple 'duds' but nothing unlistenable. Probably my most-played album of all time. 20th anniversary just passed this September.
Tool - Lateralus -- perfection.

I could easily do more, but I won't cheat by saying "honorable mentions..."

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
In no specific order:

Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Sara Bareilles - Little Voice

That's just based on my current temperament. Royce Da 5'9"'s Death Is Certain was close to being there; I might decide to swap it in tomorrow for all I know.

necrolysis

Prophet of Truth
Jul 25, 2018
Ben Folds Five: Ben Folds Five
Silverchair: Freak Show
Anthrax: Sound of White Noise

This list may not be definitive, but I front to back all 3 albums an alarming number of times lol

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Beach Boys - Summer in Paradise
2. The Beach Boys - Stars and Stripes Vol. 1
3. Mike Love - Looking Back With Love

All three of them stone cold classics with nothing but 10/10 bangers and slappers.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
John Coltrane - Meditations
Nirvana - In Utero
Converge - Jane Doe

It's hard to pick a favorite album. I wouldn't say necessarily that that's what Meditations is, but it's certainly close. It's not something I sit down and listen to on a regular basis - take a listen and you'll probably discover why pretty quickly - but there aren't many albums that can take me away like it can.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hmmm. In no order:

All Time:
Fred Hammond - Pages of Life | Chapters 1 & 2
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Michael Jackson - Bad

Contemporary:
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, MAAD City
Burna Boy - African Giant
Jhene Aiko - Souled Out

OP
OP
angelgrievous

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
John Coltrane - Meditations
Nirvana - In Utero
Converge - Jane Doe

It's hard to pick a favorite album. I wouldn't say necessarily that that's what Meditations is, but it's certainly close. It's not something I sit down and listen to on a regular basis - take a listen and you'll probably discover why pretty quickly - but there aren't many albums that can take me away like it can.
Oof, In Utero is a good one. I don't think I'd skip a single song on that one.
Great pick.

Oct 28, 2017
California
1. Weezer - The Blue Album
  • This album is absolutely flawless. Ten perfect songs from My Name is Jonas to Only in Dreams. People always laugh at me when I say that The Blue Album is better than anything all the Era musical sacred cows have ever released, but I don't care.
2. 2Pac - All Eyez on Me -
  • My favorite hip-hop/rap album from my favorite rapper. Even the supposed filler slaps.

3. Nirvana - Nevermind
  • What else can be said about Nevermind that hasn't been said already? I know Kurt Cobain's music wasn't meant to slap (especially with all the dark lyrics/themes and his hatred of 80s butt rock), but goddamn I can't help but get pumped when Breed or Stay Away come on.
Honorable Mention: Nirvana - In Utero

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
1. Rage Against the Machine - self-titled
2. Cage the Elephant - self-titled
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me realize that I don't have a no skip album. The closest to it may be the risk of rain OST but I don't think that counts.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Going to cheat a little bit with my number one since I can't really choose between them.

1. Circa Survive - Juturna / On Letting Go

On Letting Go is my favorite of the two but Juturna is one of those albums that just demands a full listen from me whenever I start it. Not that On Letting Go is any different, it's just that I tend to listen to Juturna as a whole whereas I often pick and choose what I feel like listening to with their other albums.

m0pf2VO.jpg
/
ErvyDOn.jpg

2. Carbon Based Lifeforms - Derelicts

One of my favorite albums in recent memory. I love Interloper as well but Derelicts feels like a more cohesive body of work. Everything just flows naturally from beginning to end.

ui0U7Dq.jpg

3. The Cure - Disintegration

Wish is actually my favorite Cure album but there's no denying that Disintegration is basically perfect.

J5PC079.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
(I'd say Frances The Mute, too, because that album really only works if you listen to it in one go. But I don't want to start the tired "Would FtM be a better album without the ambient parts?" discussion that every Mars Volta thread devolves into)

At the Drive-In - Relationshsip of Command
(It's perfect. Nuff said.)

Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss (the perfect blend of pop melodies and proggy crazyness that the band could never capture again)

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Green Day - American Idiot

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves. Still the perfect SoCal punk album. Not a single song even below okay. Just outstanding sound mixing and great guitar and bass.

Green Day - Revolution Radio. Surprisingly amazing album with a real good mix of bangers and more melancholy songs. Just a great showcase of what they've learned over the years.

Living End - White Noise. Aussie band that mixes rockabilly with the Clash. Great songs on this one, and the perfect album for driving where you know you won't even glance at your phone to change it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I can't pick three. So here's a list off the top of my head:

RATM - RATM
PJ - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Prince - Purple Rain
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Weezer - Pinkerton
Allman Brothers - Filmore East
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Springsteen - Born to Run
Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
GnR - Appetite for Destruction
AC/DC - Back in Black
Nas - Illmatic
Wu-tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Beatles - St. Pepper, Revolver,
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here
Paul Simon - Graceland
The Clash - London Calling

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
In no specific order:

Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Sara Bareilles - Little Voice

That's just based on my current temperament. Royce Da 5'9"'s Death Is Certain was close to being there; I might decide to swap it in tomorrow for all I know.

This is a really, really good list. Little Voice and BtI are both underrated albums.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
King gizzard and the lizard wizard - infest the rats nest/nonagon infinity
Hieroglyphics - full circle
The strokes - is this it

I'm sure there are more but those are my mains and I couldn't decide between both king gizzard albums

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
1. Rainbow - Rising
2. Wintersun - Time
3. Wishbone Ash - Argus

Many would argue that Time is bloated and overproduced, but I love it, excess included. Listening to the full album used to be in my regular rotation back when I used to walk home from work. It was about a 40 minute walk, just enough time to listen to the full album.

The other two albums are just timeless classics with no filler that benefit from just letting play from start to finish. I think Argus is overall the better album, but Rising's one-two punch of Stargazer and Light in the Black is probably the best rock album closer of all time.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
Q and Not U - No Kill No Beep Beep
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Poison The Well - The Opposite Of December
Nasum - Helvete
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

There's five because I couldn't really leave two out. Probably listened to each like 200 times lol.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Well, if you mean strict no skip, then I have to say:

1) Delerium - Spheres -> there is really nothing that I would skip from this ethereal experience
2) Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians - both sides deliver fully, never felt the need to just skip anything
3) Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters (or Night Work) - no comment needed? These are perfection.

Honorable mention goes to Marina and the Diamond's Electra Heart OR Family Jewels, both can be unskippably listened to no end (even Froot, but not Love+Fear, that contains a few filler-ish songs). But the reason it does not top the aforementioned classics is that I did not have enough time with them.

Also, just an honorable mention 2 and 3 goes to the Wolf's Rain OST from Yoko Kanno and Steve Conte, I cant count the number of train routes that it saved me, and Susumu Hirasawa, who did not make this list because he does not have any *fully perfect* albums, but gets close to it on a yearly basis for the past 10-15 years now :P

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Dark Side Of The Moon
Nevermind
Hybrid Theory

Shout out to American Idiot as well.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
LossAversion : great picks! I was contemplating putting Carbon Based Lifeform's previous albums, but not Derelicts. But you are right: that last album has a very specific flow to it that is lacking from the previous ones, even if if we compare the songs themselves, it fails a bit short imho. However, Cure's Disintegration is perfection indeed, I am a bit ashamed to have forgotten about it.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
There are way more than 3 I could apply this to, but in no particular order, these three came to mind first...

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Gomez - How We Operate
Portishead - Dummy

Edit:

Nope, I need to list another three at least:

Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Devo - New Traditionalists

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Everything but the Girl - Eden
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
and currently
Pixies - Beneath the Eyrie

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
So many good albums come to mind with some bands having 2 great albums to pick from but here goes

Trivium - Shogun (Just edging Ascendancy)
Ascendancy was a great album, but the first time I heard Shogun it was just on another level production and soundscape wise. They took what they learned from "The Crusade" and polished every inch of this record to near perfection. This also started their trend of following Windows by releasing great album/okay album/great album.

Buckethead - The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock (Edging Population Override)
Learning guitar from Guitar Pro tabs originally I came across artist called Buckethead that had some interesting tunes. Then couple years I bought this album from a CD STore going out of business sale and was blown away by the sheer amount of variations between tracks.

This

vs

Electric Six - Switzerland (or Fire)
This alters between the mood I'm in. If I'm in a feel good mood or heading out to a party it would be Fire just because of the upbeat and catchy songs. Switzerland is a bit more mature but still has a couple of really catchy songs like "I Buy the Drugs" and the album just works really well for those reflecting days.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
In no order

Rise Against - The Ghost Note Symphonies vol 1. I love every new recording on this album & I can't help but listen to the whole thing. One of the only albums I can lay down & listen to without doing anything else.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Every song goes together well. It almost feels wrong not listening to the whole thing in one go.

Dream Wife - Dream Wife. I honestly don't know why but this album really hooked me. I often listen to it in whole after a long day.

honorable mention: Paramore - After Laughter. Mostly a no skip but sometimes I find the third track "Told You So" to be annoying & skip I it.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
STP - CORE
PINK FLOYD - DSOTM ( Obvs. Should this even be allowed to be posted?)
TEARS FOR FEARS - THE SEEDS OF LOVE