• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We on the "left" aren't telling anyone to do anything.

At worst some of us are simply going by the logic of "lets see what else drops before making judgement". You are sorely mistaken if you think we like Biden, or even want him. We need more details and more information before jumping to any conclusions. Let's listen to her and take her allegation seriously. Corroborate where/if we can, ask around where we can't and see if some more shoes drop and/or others come out.

At the end of the day, if this turns into he said/she said it is difficult to see this moving the needle. Irrespective of whether he did or did not do it getting action as drastic as "step down from the race" with just her word against his is incredibly difficult. It took numerous people and courage just to bring Weinstein to his knees. Hell look at R. Kelly; his disgusting behavior was an open secret and it took almost a decade after the initial accounts to finally land the killing blow. If you take a swing at someone like a presidential candidate...you best not miss.

Biden has been accused before, even if the accusations weren't as serious. He has something like eight accusations levied against him.

There's certainly a pattern here so if people still choose to ignore that pattern, that's unfortunate.

And you're correct about the difficulty of taking down powerful men even when the evidence is overwhelming but if the Democrats want to be taken seriously at all given their continued efforts to paint themselves as the moral high ground, there needs to be a response sooner rather than later.

They certainly had no problem drumming Franken out for less serious accusations.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
This issue, spread over various threads, has exposed what progressives on this forum already knew:

Most of the membership here are rank and file moderate Democrats who lean in hard regarding identity politics but who also seem to fall into formation with neoliberalism, corporatism, imperialistic military intervention, etc.

Go to a real progressive space and you won't see people praising Hillary Clinton or hand-waiving away Obama's illegal and egregious use of drone strikes.

It is what it is.

+1

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
This issue, spread over various threads, has exposed what progressives on this forum already knew:

Most of the membership here are rank and file moderate Democrats who lean in hard regarding identity politics but who also seem to fall into formation with neoliberalism, corporatism, imperialistic military intervention, etc.

Go to a real progressive space and you won't see people praising Hillary Clinton or hand-waiving away Obama's illegal and egregious use of drone strikes.

It is what it is.
Liberals don't like being told that they aren't the most progressive ones in the room.

less

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly had no problem drumming Franken out for less serious accusations.

I don't think that we'll such see a drumming up of calls for Biden to drop out. I know that some of the Dems that had at the time called for Franken's resignation now wish that they had done things different...that Franken should have had gone through an investigation as he had called for. I think that we'll get to see plenty of calls for an investigation if this picks up steam and that will result in Reade's credibility being attacked to hell and back. Without hard evidence or multiple similar accusations coming to light I believe that the American public will shrug and move on as long as Biden denies.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

It is what it is.
Okay, hope this doesn't count as a derail or something but what is the staff post these were ignoring?

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
This shit needs to stop. Not voting for someone is not giving their opponent a vote.
I mean, once it gets past the primaries, it is functionally the same. It's the biggest flaw(of many) of First Past the Post voting systems. I don't want Biden out of just about all the Democratic candidates, but if he wins the primaries(I'm voting Sanders), and you keep from voting, you are effectively giving more power to the votes of the person whose political values are further from your own(assuming they aren't dealing with roughly the same issue with their voter base - which you know for a fact they aren't).

I don't want Biden, you don't want Biden. But if you aren't voting for him when(or if) the only option is him or Trump, you are effectively giving more power to Trump. The exact same thing happened in 2016, and we are still hearing the same exact arguments we heard when people didn't want Clinton yet pretended they had no responsibility for Trump taking the office.

All that said, I'm not going to discredit what this woman is saying or argue that it should matter any less given the election. Biden shouldn't be the Democratic candidate because of this shit(among other reasons) and SHOULD be called out on it and be forced to confront this issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Has any of his nomination endorsers commented on this?
Howard Dean has, but it wasn't pretty

Not sure about anyone else, and I doubt any former candidates even want to touch this. All their heads will be in the sand until the news cycle has moved on, Trump has done something else egregious, or what have you. The story hasn't really gone anywhere past more leftist/progressive circles as far as I've seen.

Edit: Unless you mean newspaper endorsements, then I'm not sure.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Not sure about anyone else, and I doubt any former candidates even want to touch this. All their heads will be in the sand until the news cycle has moved on, Trump has done something else egregious, or what have you. The story hasn't really gone anywhere past more leftist/progressive circles as far as I've seen.

It was reported by Newsweek, Vox, Yahoo, Huffington post and other mainstream places. I'm assuming WaPo and NYT are just writing something bigger which is why we haven't heard from them..

Hopefully

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Yea, I saw those tweets regarding HD's comments on this matter. And yea, I mean the now-out-of-the-running-Biden-endorsing democratic presidential nominee and the DNC who collectively endorsed this man for his "electability". I want journalists to grill the fuck out of Biden, his campaign and his supporters.

Oct 26, 2017
It was reported by Newsweek, Vox, Yahoo, Huffington post and other mainstream places. I'm assuming WaPo and NYT are just writing something bigger which is why we haven't heard from them..

Hopefully
I hope they're taking their time so it's not just another's regurgitation of what we already know, there's definitely more to the story than this

Cash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I truly think Biden won't get any real heat from this. People will push the Russia angle and that will be the end of it.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
You know everyone in here berating the major news outlets for not throwing together an article in 24 hours is the exact issue with modern journalism.

This isn't Gawker. Let them do their job because it'll be much more effective when they can nail down details and corroborate statements, get others on record instead of just re-reporting what's already out there.

This whole 'some people are saying' or 'according to x outlet' is not independently fact-checking which is what we all ought to be demanding of media. Get the story right not fast when it's this big. Because if a couple of details are wrong it'll undo the impact and lead to people hand-waiving the story.

I can promise you the NYT/Wapo/CNN are not ignoring this in a willful act to protect Biden. This is a major story and if you are the journo that can nail this story it's career making.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
You know everyone in here berating the major news outlets for not throwing together an article in 24 hours is the exact issue with modern journalism.

This isn't Gawker. Let them do their job because it'll be much more effective when they can nail down details and corroborate statements, get others on record instead of just re-reporting what's already out there.

This whole 'some people are saying' or 'according to x outlet' is not independently fact-checking which is what we all ought to be demanding of media. Get the story right not fast when it's this big. Because if a couple of details are wrong it'll undo the impact and lead to people hand-waiving the story.

I can promise you the NYT/Wapo/CNN are not ignoring this in a willful act to protect Biden. This is a major story and if you are the journo that can nail this story it's career making.
Everytime we get a new publication, we learn more. Whether it be Vox or Newsweek.

Let's wait for even more details to be revealed as they investigate. She wants to tell her story and Biden has asked reporters to thoroughly vet and investigate the accusation. We're going to get more information.

Oct 26, 2017
Who cares if they're posting a "regurgitation". I'd rather everyone do this than simply nothing, effectively silencing Reade.
Larger, influential papers with a diverse range of readers have a chance to either persuade or dissuade a large amount of people based on the amount and quality of evidence or vetting presented, and if we want anything to come from this it's going to take pressure from within the Democratic establishment. It would be more helpful if those types of papers present a stronger, thoroughly researched and vetted piece than very basic, "dismissible" claims. Otherwise you're going to get a lot more Howard Dean-types becoming attack dogs in defense of Biden, and the story won't catch. There are many people willing to give Biden the benefit of the doubt.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Larger, influential papers with a diverse range of readers have a chance to either persuade or dissuade a large amount of people based on the amount and quality of evidence or vetting presented, and if we want anything to come from this it's going to take pressure from within the Democratic establishment then it would be more helpful if those types of papers present a stronger, thoroughly researched and vetted piece that pulls from a lot more than we already know. Otherwise you're going to get a lot more Howard Dean's becoming attack dogs in defense of Biden, and the story won't catch. There are many people willing to give Biden the benefit of the doubt.
I think it should be thoroughly reported by those who have the ability to do more, but I also think it's an extremely bad look for no one on TV to be discussing what's already been reported from the victim herself/corroboration from her brother and friend who backed it up.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if PBS Newshour has picked up on this. I'm going to ask my father, both of my parents watch PBS Newshour during their dinner.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Newsweek is covering it. It's also a really good article. Probably the best yet

www.newsweek.com

Joe Biden's sexual assault accuser wants to be able to speak out without fear of "powerful men"

"These accusations are false," said Deputy Campaign Manager and Communications Director Kate Bedingfield.
That's a great article. Took the liberty of threadmarking this.

Two important parts, that boost her credibility IMO:
"These clearly false allegations are in complete contradiction to both the inner workings of our Senate office and to the man I know and worked so closely with for almost two decades," Baker said.

That assertion runs contrary to Reade's own account: she says that while Baker may not have been aware of the alleged sexual assault, she was aware of Biden's uncomfortable behavior.
And, even stronger, which apparently was in the Intercept article but I don't actually recall reading a few days ago --- but it appears it was updated later, and it's a very important detail:
At the time of the alleged incident, Reade says, she told her mother, brother and a friend who had been working in Sen. Ted Kennedy's office about what happened.

While her mother has since passed away, The Intercept spoke with both Reade's friend and her brother. The friend, who requested anonymity over fears of retribution, said she had discouraged Reade from coming forward because she did not believe she would see justice.

Reade's brother, Collin Moulton, said their mother had told his sister to call the police. However, her brother acknowledged that he had urged his sister to move past it, telling her "let it go" and "move on" because "guys are idiots."

"Woefully, I did not encourage her to follow up," Moulton, who said he voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and did not plan to vote for either Biden or President Donald Trump, told The Intercept. "I wasn't one of her better advocates."
So, two people corroborate that she told them of the incident at the time. We can definitely rule out the idea that this is a recent, politically-motivated, out-of-nowhere accusation.

I really, really hope more outlets start covering this. I'm concerned some might be too cowardly though.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's a great article. Took the liberty of threadmarking this.

Two important parts, that boost her credibility IMO:

And, even stronger, which apparently was in the Intercept article but I don't actually recall reading a few days ago --- but it appears it was updated later, and it's a very important detail:

So, two people corroborate that she told them of the incident at the time. We can definitely rule out the idea that this is a recent, politically-motivated, out-of-nowhere accusation.

I really, really hope more outlets start covering this. I'm concerned some might be too cowardly though.
Yeah this is one of the points I've been trying to make. Her story has been corroborated by her brother and close friend. And if Vox, Newsweek and HuffPo (edit: and now The Guardian) feel comfortable enough to at least report on what we have, I'm not sure what news networks excuses are to not play it on TV.

She also talked about telling her story to her mother, brother and friend in the Hill video interview.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Guardian has a piece on the media silence

Why has the media ignored sexual assault and misbehaviour allegations against Biden? | Feminism | The Guardian

Conservatives who didn’t care about the multiple sexual assault allegations against Trump have seized on the accusations while liberals turn a blind eye

This is a good step, The Guardian should get some increased coverage / traction going.

Still not seeing anything coming up on YouTube, and as such super frustrated with the lack of widespread coverage of this.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow.... from the article:
Rightwing news outlets have gleefully seized upon the accusations against Biden; the story has also been discussed by leftwing commentators. However, the mainstream media has largely ignored the allegations. Instead there have been headlines like The top 10 women Joe Biden might pick as VP (CNN) and Joe Biden's inner circle: No longer a boy's club (AP).
Didn't notice this, what a look. Edit: either the CNN link was removed or it's broken in the Guardian article. Weird

AP: Biden's inner circle: no longer a boy's club, posted one day after an allegation of rape against Biden. Unreal

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
The Intercept further notes that "the public relations firm that works on behalf of the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund is SKDKnickerbocker, whose managing director, Anita Dunn, is the top adviser to Biden's presidential campaign".
some very cool and normal stuff we got going on here

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Biden's people are playing up the "he's the presumed candidate. Please work with us while we are mobilizing our response. (subtext: We could be the President next, so you don't want to cross us or fuck us over.)"

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
some very cool and normal stuff we got going on here
Assuming she is telling the truth and Time's Up is lying...Can you explain to me what the management director of a PR firm that works for the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund would have done?

This is to say, Anita Dunn doesn't appear to have any actual power there, being ...third party PR.

So this looks to be casting aspersions on Anita Dunn's character because she works for t he Biden Campaign as if she were orchestrating some kind of cover-up.

Is that what you're saying here?

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And called her a liar

What world do you people live in!?

They called for an investigation, they are denying the allegations. Maybe she is lying, maybe she's telling the truth.

Taking these kinds of accusations seriously DOES NOT equal automatic assumptions of guilt, and so many of the people online who feel the need to just throw down their hot takes only muddy the waters.

Take sexual assault claims seriously, investigate them, wait for the facts, then make a conclusion.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming she is telling the truth and Time's Up is lying...Can you explain to me what the management director of a PR firm that works for the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund would have done?

This is to say, Anita Dunn doesn't appear to have any actual power there, being ...third party PR.

So this looks to be casting aspersions on Anita Dunn's character because she works for t he Biden Campaign as if she were orchestrating some kind of cover-up.

Is that what you're saying here?

we already know her character

www.buzzfeednews.com

Former Obama Adviser Anita Dunn Helped Harvey Weinstein Strategize Before New York Times Story

On Thursday, the New York Times published a major investigation about the Hollywood mogul, who had assembled a team of top legal and PR professionals.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What world do you people live in!?

They called for an investigation, they are denying the allegations. Maybe she is lying, maybe she's telling the truth.

Taking these kinds of accusations seriously DOES NOT equal automatic assumptions of guilt, and so many of the people online who feel the need to just throw down their hot takes only muddy the waters.

Take sexual assault claims seriously, investigate them, wait for the facts, then make a conclusion.
Who is "you people" again? Please explain this to me.

Here's what was said (via Vox):
Biden's campaign on Friday denied Reade's allegation. "Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims," deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield said in a statement. "We encourage them to do so, because these accusations are false."
Carefully explain to me how you can both not be calling someone a liar while explicitly stating that their very specific and detailed accusations are false.

You can't have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.