• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The security state certainly took their report of Russian interference in the 2016 election seriously. But I dunno, what kind of name is "reality winner", sounds made up to me

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This will be a test on whether some on the left truly believe in the stuff they love to proclaim that they do, or they will expose themselves as hypocritical hacks that treat politics and policy as team sports.

OP
OP
Frozenprince

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Rolling Stone, the outlet Halper represents, is some rag either. It has a long and storied history of good political coverage.

OP
OP
Frozenprince

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be a test on whether some on the left truly believe in the stuff they love to proclaim that they do, or they will expose themselves as hypocritical hacks that treat politics and policy as team sports.
The left certainly doesn't view politics as a sport.

Liberals, different story.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all knew he was a creepy fuck. But a rapist. Fuck me.
Liberals aren't the left.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why these early posts shitting all over this rape victim are met with 2-3 month bans instead of permanent bans. If downplaying/denying a rape victim and making up conspiracies about her are not perma-ban worthy, then what the fuck is?

Do you guys actually want this place to be a safe space for rape and sexual abuse victims or not?

OP
OP
Frozenprince

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why these early posts shitting all over this rape victim are met with 2-3 week bans instead of permanent bans. If downplaying/denying a rape victim and making up conspiracies about her are not perma-ban worthy, then what the fuck is?

Do you guys actually want this place to be a safe space for rape and sexual abuse victims or not?
No, the answer to your question, just like every question about the actual earnest desire for this places politics to not be surface deep and reveal themselves to be so at every possible opportunity, is no.

ERA, and GAF before it, has an especially bad history with sexual assault, it's used as a weapon against those that mayhaps, often, are deserving of it, it's used as a cudgel or to (yes I know, in this case it's reality) virtue signal. There's VERY rarely any real compassion towards the victims. And certainly not any reflection on why these things happen so often with those in power and why that is and what we can do to prevent it from happening anymore.

This woman was violated, assaulted, and then cast aside and has been trying to tell her story about the extremely powerful man who raped her for 30 fucking years. We should all be in awe of her courage in telling this, and her bravery and not allowing the man who hurt her to get away with it. She's the only "good" thing here, her bravery in the face of this.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunately par for the course in these types of threads and it gets worse when it's someone on "our team".

Hopefully the interview Reade does tomorrow gets play.
It's bullshit. I can only speak for myself, but it sure doesn't make me feel like this is a safe space at all.
No, the answer to your question, just like every question about the actual earnest desire for this places politics to not be surface deep and reveal themselves to be so at every possible opportunity, is no.

ERA, and GAF before it, has an especially bad history with sexual assault, it's used as a weapon against those that mayhaps, often, are deserving of it, it's used as a cudgel or to (yes I know, in this case it's reality) virtue signal. There's VERY rarely any real compassion towards the victims. And certainly not any reflection on why these things happen so often with those in power and why that is and what we can do to prevent it from happening anymore.

This woman was violated, assaulted, and then cast aside and has been trying to tell her story about the extremely powerful man who raped her for 30 fucking years. We should all be in awe of her courage in telling this, and her bravery and not allowing the man who hurt her to get away with it. She's the only "good" thing here, her bravery in the face of this.
She's incredibly brave. She will be shit on, dragged through the mud, probably get death threats and all manner of abuse hurled at her...at best she will be ignored. The courage it takes to come forward about something like this happening to you, especially when the person who hurt you is extremely powerful. Hell, I can only talk about what happened to me because of the relative anonymity of this board and the mandated confidentiality of my therapist. Putting your name and face out there, in front of everyone, telling your story...the fear, the anxiety, the shame she must feel. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

And then, to respond to that with conspiracies and dismissal? I can't, I just can't. She deserves better than that.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do. He needs to be investigated and if he cant prove she is lying then his ass has to go. He has a history of being creepy as well.

Why hasnt he been investigated?

You know damn well why. The DNC put all their poker chips on Biden and if this story breaks wide and hits mainstream media then he is finished.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Victim Blaming Rhetoric
Did she come out when Obama announced Biden as his VP?

Edit:not try to defend Biden, just curious as a outsider of U.S politics, it reminds me of Clinton–Lewinsky scandal, so if this scandal continues to develop and Biden still becomes Democrat candidate, should he resign or get impeached even he beats Trump?

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's bullshit. I can only speak for myself, but it sure doesn't make me feel like this is a safe space at all.

She's incredibly brave. She will be shit on, dragged through the mud, probably get death threats and all manner of abuse hurled at her...at best she will be ignored. The courage it takes to come forward about something like this happening to you, especially when the person who hurt you is extremely powerful. Hell, I can only talk about what happened to me because of the relative anonymity of this board and the mandated confidentiality of my therapist. Putting your name and face out there, in front of everyone, telling your story...the fear, the anxiety, the shame she must feel. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

And then, to respond to that with conspiracies and dismissal? I can't, I just can't. She deserves better than that.
If i'm remembering correctly, it was also pretty ugly on here when Al Franken was accused of sexual misconduct, where sexism was treated with a partisan lens even though it shouldn't be. One's despise for the orange bigot does not, nor should it, overrule empathy for victims of sexual misconduct, regardless of who is likely to be the nominee.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If i'm remembering correctly, it was also pretty ugly on here when Al Franken was accused of sexual misconduct, where sexism was treated with a partisan lens even though it shouldn't be. One's despise for the orange bigot does not, nor should it, overrule empathy for victims of sexual misconduct, regardless of who is likely to be the nominee.
And yet here we are.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan of "and this is why Bernie should be crowned the nominee" being the answer from a subset of era. Bernie has nothing to do with any of this.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it comes down to Biden vs Trump in the election I'll still vote for Biden but I'll be even less happy about it than I already am. Given that even in this regard Trump is still almost certainly worse, and if Biden wins the primary than no other options will exist besides Biden and Trump, so it's not like not voting would prevent a rapist from winning the presidency. That said I hope these allegations are taken seriously and Biden steps down, even if he maybe chooses someone whose ideologically similar to take his place

ishimoto

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
OP
OP
Frozenprince

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just hate being reminded of it every single time something like this happens
I hope for yourself and all victims out there that we, collectively, as a society finally begin to confront why these things happen to people, what power does in enabling it, and finally bring some semblance of justice to this society and peace to yourself and others like you who are brave enough to tell your stories and for those who cannot yet bring themselves to do so.

You're the ones that matter, not these powerful sacks of shit that we enable.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
he has to think about what stepping down might look like

not now but to act like there isn't a world where it it would be immensely destructive to continue

Not really a fan of "and this is why Bernie should be crowned the nominee" being the answer from a subset of era. Bernie has nothing to do with any of this.
I'm contributing at this point but if you're gonna go meta in violation of the thread rules either quote, report or reconsider if this was a necessary contribution

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope for yourself and all victims out there that we, collectively, as a society finally begin to confront why these things happen to people, what power does in enabling it, and finally bring some semblance of justice to this society and peace to yourself and others like you who are brave enough to tell your stories and for those who cannot yet bring themselves to do so.

It's easier to just be woke when it's convenient though. We've got a long way to go

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I hope so too. I'm not sure it will ever happen though. It's inconvenient, it's ugly, it makes people feel like shit and thus no one wants to hear about it. And as much as that frustrates and pains me...I get it. I think about the abuse I suffered every day. Frankly, it sucks. It's terrible and I hate living with this pain. I have no choice. I get why people who haven't suffered that way (and even those who have and are in denial) would rather turn a blind eye than face the reality. But as long as that happens, people like Tara Reade will continue to be victimised and abused. So, we can't look away.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, did Rolling Stone break the Duke Lacrosse (non)story or are you bringing in spurious evidence to try to make a rape accuser look bad
Duke Lacrosse was a story of police and prosecutors pressuring a disadvantaged sex worker into making false claims to advance their own careers. Has no bearing on this woman's accusations at all

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You can Google this. You'll find plenty of results.

I doubt this is a complete list but it looks like Rolling Stone got beaten to report by NYT. I know, it's just the New York Times, but I think they're big enough at least to deserve some recognition here

Duke Lacrosse was a story of police and prosecutors pressuring a disadvantaged sex worker into making false claims to advance their own careers. Has no bearing on this woman's accusations at all

Of course, you're right. It wasn't merely a set of media reports; the case was, on some level, an active state investigation before it was a national headline.

So I'm going with "please perma the concern troll", mods

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a outsider of U.S politics, it reminds me of Clinton–Lewinsky scandal, so if this scandal continues to develop and Biden still becomes Democrat candidate, should he resign or get impeached if he beats Trump?
No, it's not even close. If you want a Clinton example there are multiple rape allegations against him, don't try and equate an (unethical) a affair with a white house intern with a woman telling her story of being raped.

If the comparison was to suggest Tara Reade is going to be trashed in the media like Monica was, then you may have a point.

ishimoto

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I doubt this is a complete list but it looks like Rolling Stone got beaten to report by NYT. I know, it's just the New York Times, but I think they're big enough at least to deserve some recognition here

Of course, you're right. It wasn't merely a set of media reports; the case was, on some level, an active state investigation before it was a national headline.

So I'm going with "please perma the concern troll", mods

www.rollingstone.com

Sex & Scandal at Duke

Lacrosse player, sorority girls and the booze-filled culture of the never-ending hookup on the nation's most embattled campus Duke University

keep in mind while reading this that the duke lacrosse players absolutely did not rape her. and that the prosecutor in this case want to jail for his conduct.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
keep in mind while reading this that the duke lacrosse players absolutely did not rape her. and that the prosecutor in this case want to jail for his conduct.

Yes, but they didn't break the story and they weren't anywhere near the biggest source of journalism to fuck that case up, because the NC state apparatus manufactured the case. Given that the link I posted shows that they were nowhere near the first national source to report on the case you're not actually arguing against my point. We could argue that this is a problem where the national organizations were just repeating the same things they got from the local reporting sources and the local reporters were perfectly happy to uncritically report what the state was doing, we can do that but...

I mean if you want to make this about the media's inability to actually the hold state accountable for misconduct and investigate when they lie through their teeth to preserve their privilege you are more than welcome to but understand that in the context of this specific case that (I know I always say this) you're not making the point you think you're making

Status
Not open for further replies.