• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
Yeah, Biden needs to drop out. Trump will crush him with this. What a fucking disgrace. Fuck Joe Biden

Trump "crushing him" would be pot calling kettle black though, and reinstigate all of his record that we've heard in the past few years.

Maybe this will finally wake up the fucking Dems to back Bernie instead of ignoring him.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post
Trump "crushing him" would be pot calling kettle black though, and reinstigate all of his record that we've heard in the past few years.

Maybe this will finally wake up the fucking Dems to back Bernie instead of ignoring him.

Why would Democrats back a candidate whose supporters don't show up to vote?

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.. what can realistically happen here? Can the DNC disqualify Biden? I doubt they care enough about rape victims to do the right thing but how do we see this going?

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Unfortunately there is very little bandwidth in the media right now for anything except the virus. It's possible though that this is leading more media mainstream journalists to investigate and that this could be covered once the crisis starts to die down.

also

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Give them to Bernie, have Warren be VP. Boom, election won. We'd fucking crush them. I hate this tip toeing around the obvious to continue propping up a rapist.

edit: Don't see staff post in threadmarks so I'll just leave this thread as I can't actually read it.
edit 2: If the "Staff Post" is the warning at the bottom. Why not make a thread mark which stands out?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
She did not fully disclose last time, so any previous investigations should be redone.

Yeah, this allegation is far more serious than the neck rubbing/retaliation story from earlier in the year (not that that was a great look either). I would think they would want to at the very least be able to verify things like her employment history and timeline of events. Her posts have had a lot of details to them that should be verifiable and the interview with the paper from Nevada county mentioned an off-the-record source who corroborated the previous story. But it's not like you can easily google low-level Senate staffers from the late 80s/early 90s and with Covid-19 pulling records or getting FOIA requests is going to take much longer than normal.

Unless she happens to have old pay-stubs or W2s easily available that can corroborate some basic timelines I would expect this to take a few days at the least.

Oct 28, 2017
Will they if Trump is the other option? I bet people will be willing to vote for the lesser of two evils. This time, the evil part is literal.

the logic will be to get rid of Trump first and then Biden next.
I get you, and for my vote? RBG's seat and the federal judiciary are too important to let Trump have another 4 years. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

But at the same time, I absolutely get that for many this isn't going to feel like a palatable "lesser of 2 evils" scenario. 'Trump the Monster' vs 'Joe the Status Quo Defender'? That's a lesser of two evils scenario. But if this gains traction, and doesn't have some massive bombshell where she's discredited, its going to feel like 'equal evils' for many.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You realize Trump has 30 sexual assault allegations, including rape, right?

For as much as people make the supreme court into an important talking point about why Biden matters, it's weird that it's not obvious that getting folks like Kavanaugh into nearly-untouchable positions of power is not a bug but a feature for the people who compose Trump's base. The people upset by an impending Biden nomination are not about to go out and support Trump instead. The whole point is to depress turnout among the dems.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
What's also shocking to hear is how the people who worked for him tried to silence her as well. Lines up with how this usually goes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Refinery29 has an article up about the allegation. Just reiterating what we already know so far. I expect more media to cover this week ends.
There were no witnesses to Reade's assault, but she told The Intercept that she'd spoken to a close friend, as well as her brother, at the time of the alleged assault, and both have confirmed this with The Intercept. Reade said Thursday morning on Rising on Hill TV Live that she's waited so long to speak publicly about what happened because she was afraid of retaliation, and also because back then she "didn't have the framework" to understand what had happened to her.
Oh wow I didn't realize her close friend and brother both confirmed to The Intercept that Reade told them about the assault before.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I hope that if this really does materialize, that the DNC does the right thing and pick a clean candidate. There are so many people that ran a good primary that don't have rape allegations.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.yahoo.com

Joe Biden Faces Sexual Assault Allegations From A Former Staffer

Update, March 28, 2020: Joe Biden’s campaign has denied Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegation. In a statement on Friday his campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said, “Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims. We encourage them to do so,

This is probably the biggest media site coverage yet. I suspect more could follow.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.yahoo.com

Update, March 28, 2020: Joe Biden’s campaign has denied Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegation. In a statement on Friday his campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said, “Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims. We encourage them to do so,

This is probably the biggest media site coverage yet. I suspect more could follow.
If you have experienced sexual violence and are in need of crisis support, please call the RAINN Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).
This article has offered more empathy and support than 95% of posts here on ERA about the accusation, including mods.

Oct 26, 2017
What is "Refinery29"?
An online media site similar to Vice and HuffPo but focused on women:
www.inc.com

How Refinery29's Founders Built a $500 Million Business on a Simple Idea: Women Don't Have to Be Perfect

How the media brand became one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S.

Also Yahoo has an article up but it looks to be the same one as Refinery29:
www.yahoo.com

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
An online media site similar to Vice and HuffPo but focused on women:
www.inc.com

How Refinery29's Founders Built a $500 Million Business on a Simple Idea: Women Don't Have to Be Perfect

How the media brand became one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S.

Also Yahoo has an article up but it looks to be the same one as Refinery29:
www.yahoo.com

But what is the significance of the name?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Unfortunately there is very little bandwidth in the media right now for anything except the virus. It's possible though that this is leading more media mainstream journalists to investigate and that this could be covered once the crisis starts to die down.

also

Yet they have the bandwidth to write an article about Biden's super-pac's change in personnel.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
I would vote for "Alledged Rapist" Biden over "Alledged Rapist" Trump any day of the week.

These are Dark Times. The White Knight is not coming.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
CNN like every other major news organization is either investigating it on their own or have already investigated it when she came out with this around last April.
Bingo, those are really the only two choices, either they are doing it, or they did and didn't find her story credible. I don't think for a second they'd cover it up. They ran the email bullshit nonstop, constantly.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Like this?
eKcBG6R.gif

gsCQBtP.gif

holy shit

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Bingo, those are really the only two choices, either they are doing it, or they did and didn't find her story credible. I don't think for a second they'd cover it up. They ran the email bullshit nonstop, constantly.

Yeah right now the coverage of this is the army of unpaid writers creating relink summary articles of other people's articles. I.e. the face of 'new' journalism.

The major outlets will either be vetting the story or have vetted the story. They aren't covering this up. They covered all the bullshit about hillary

Cbrun44

User Banned (2 weeks): Casting aspersions on the credibility of the alleged victim of sexual assault
Kind of bothers me how many people around here seem to be so giddy about this. Simply thinking this is going to knock Biden down to pull Bernie back up. Calling for Biden to drop, not because of the allegation, but because he's not your preferred candidate. And that's what it is.

Allegations should always be taken seriously but until this gets reported by outlets other than The Intercept call me skeptical. The reason I'm skeptical... The Intercept is alone. And The Intercept has had an agenda from the beginning... Bernie Sanders.

And let's be real other organizations have likely already investigated this. This is not a new story. Do people seriously not think everyone would run with this if a story existed? There is no vast conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.