• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you do?

• Save the kid (you'd die)

Votes: 1,344 55.8%
  • Save yourself (the kid dies)

Votes: 1,065 44.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a cool adult with valuable life skills who has a proven track record of providing a subsistence level income for myself and also a cat. If I sacrificed myself for kid it would just go back to the mainland and be fucking useless for like another 10 years while my cat starved to death on the streets. Also I can make another dumb kid with my fully-developed reproductive organs anyway.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My kids yes, you're kids no.

My wife yes, your wife no.

my sidepiece no too

If I die, aint none of them people taking care of mines.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Thought I was going to be edgy coming in and saying "I don't know."

Some of ya'll are wild.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'd save the kids while sort of hating it a little. But nobody said doing the right thing is easy. Also the hypothetical posits a situation where I'd have an impossible level of omniscience, so after giving the kid my spot, I'd be working hard on a plan to save myself some other way. (Like trying to collect life vests I could hook together or something.)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright alright all you negative nillies about my perfect analogy.

How about i wonder if all you voting save yourself folks would be like that douche in dark Knight trying to blow up the other boat. That guy sucked.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, let me die. Spent most my life studying/working with the result finally finishing college this year to die. Let me die because I haven't had the chance to live my life.

Sounds like you've lived more of a life than say a 5yr old. Hell you had a chance to study and work... they've just started to learn how to read at best.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Until you're put in a situation where you have to potentially wrestle with your own self-preservation instinct in the manner described in the OP, what you think you'd do could very well differ to how it actually plays out. Obviously, I like to believe I'd be altruistic and make the sacrifice but I can't guarantee it; in fact I voted for the selfish act because I actually think I'd lose that internal battle (it also just made me laugh to do so).

Some of the leaps of logic surrounding the characters of certain posters in this thread are really weird, frankly.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Except they would have all died if not for Batman
True but in the movie both boats talked and agreed to blow up the other boat to save themselves but when the time came both chose not to kill the other boat to save themselves.

Reading this thread one boat would've blown up well before Batman saved them all.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'd drown, but that's because I hate myself.

This thread has been filled with embarrassing analogies with people comparing users to Holocaust enablers and racist cops. Like we get it you've got the moral high ground, but that isn't a license to act like a dickhead.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
This scenario has so many "what if?"s that it's hard to give a black/white answer.

I despise kids, but I don't want to see one die due to my decision.

But if I had a kid(s)? Is it really easy to do the noble thing only to leave them without a parent?

Most people wouldn't know for certain until they were actually in the scenario. Sometimes seeing a bawling kid will change a person's mind in the moment. Even if they hated kids; even if they had value in living.

Either way, someone is going to be left with some emotional baggage. And it's going to be a hard decision deciding who will hold it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta think about this rationally. There are billions of kids. Billions.

There's only one of me. Sorry kids.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Absolutely my kids, I've lived 30 years they've lived 3. I also have Diabetes so I've already got a long-term disease even if I have it under control

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently it's edgy to care more about seeing your family again and returning home than saving a stranger's kid. At least you know I'm being honest when I say I would watch out for my own interests first, because ultimately I have nothing to gain from that stance. Its not glorious or cool. It's the folks who claim they would throw their life away in an instant that deserve some side eye. Everybody wants to be a hero, but few actually are that selfless. At the end of the day, we are hardwired to survive don't let the movies fool you into thinking you are something you are not.

With that said I believe some of you would actually put a stranger's child before your own life, but I'm guessing it's less than half the number of individuals making the claim.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Also the thing that would hold me back the most is the fear of dying a horrible death. If I know I would go peacefully (relatively like I got hit by something) and die without pain. Then I would have no problem. But drowning is one of the worst deaths you can have.
And if you know that, it will make the decision even harder.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
To the people sacrificing themself for the kid: thank you. I'll take your spot in the lifeboat.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we have a rescue boat full of all kids they're gonna die, there needs to be some responsible and survival oriented adults with them too. I don't think I'd be great in such a scenario though, but I also don't have kids.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Bottom line, if - in a scenario like this - you would take the place of some kid and live with yourself after the fact, you aren't worth saving, and I'd fight you to the death to keep you on board... and I wouldn't be standing alone... and I think anyone who figures otherwise is kidding themselves...

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
People who believe in an afterlife can sacrifice themselves, they have another one waiting for them anyway.
I'd probably try to swim though, swimming those 500's years ago should have been enough practice.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For simplicity's sake? Fuck that. I'll save the kid and myself. I forge my own destiny bitch.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom line, if - in a scenario like this - you would take the place of some kid and live with yourself after the fact, you aren't worth saving, and I'd fight you to the death to keep you on board... and I wouldn't be standing alone... and I think anyone who figures otherwise is kidding themselves...
I'm not sure where you stand after reading this post 5 times.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
The twist of the story is that the beach is 100 m away. The sun is shining and and the sea is calm. I would give my place to the kids.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Watch out we got the tuffest guy on the internet here.

What a cringy ass post

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
We talkin' somewhere where the water ain't all that cold and coast guard's on its way but it's uncertain how long it might take?

Yeah, I'd risk it and let the elderly, disabled, kids on the lifeboat.

Freezing cold water, no communication with the coast guard, extremely low probability of survival once exposed?

I'd definitely do what I could to ensure I was on a lifeboat

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that most of the people on the boat are Resetera members, according to the poll 50% are more than happy to give up a spot so there's enough room for the other half and the kids.

In reality, the majority are going to want to save their ass but we have to pretend that we're morally perfect.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Fight me to the death lol

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I would have no internal issue letting kids and mothers go first.

But regular women and the rest of the dudes will have to either find a solution with me to survive or fight it out.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Okay let's get things straight: will I have a pillow and a comforter on my part of the boat?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Only if you make the space by tossing off a second kid.
dailystruggg.jpg