• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you do?

• Save the kid (you'd die)

Votes: 1,344 55.8%
  • Save yourself (the kid dies)

Votes: 1,065 44.2%

• Total voters

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
CwcXSMeXgAA8Sv6.jpg
I love you

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I just don't know how anyone could actually live with themselves, looking back, whilst they're on the boat at a kid just standing there waiting to die, knowing you could have prevented that? I mean... anyone who could live with themselves after that, through some vague "well I don't know what they'd turn out like!" is... shocking, to say the least!

Would the answers change much if they were subject to the judgment of others, following this decision?

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably let most people in general take my place, let alone kids. There's probably no death more satisfying than knowing you went out saving others.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to give up my life for some stranger. Fuck that lmao

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Of course... not. They dont know what they're missing so they'll never miss it. You had a good four year run kiddo, but all good things must come to an end.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That was my first thought as a parent but they would still have their mom, I don't think I could put parents through losing a kid or put another kid through that terror.

That's a fair point, but I still wouldn't. My kids would still have their loss of their dad in their minds. I think that would cancel out at least the sadness of that child's parents

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I would gently pick up the child and place them in my seat. Finding peace in my final moments, I would push the boat towards safety. And just before I do, I would whisper in the child's ear.

"You better appreciate this, you little shit."
Put your hands on their shoulders, look them in the eye, and say in your gravest, most-serious voice "Remember this every day for the rest of your life."

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd destroy the lifeboats so we can't have this discussion in the first place.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Old people gotta go, if I'm considered old; then I gotta go

Yeah I'll save the kid

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I care about my family and loved ones first and then about myself. I don't care about anyone else, or anyone else's kids.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So if I save the kid I'm 100% going to die? Well sorry kid, it was lovely meeting ya on this sinking ship, but I'm saving my own hide.

RoadRunnerXS

Avenger
Mar 10, 2019
United States
I'd save the kid, mainly because I've already lived longer, and also... because it's a kid. Once you saw the fear in their eyes of the possibility of dying, there is no other option.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
You have them hang on to the sides of the boat and learn to kick their legs. Turn it into a fun time instead of a tragedy.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure we had a sort of similar thread about this some months ago, while the framing of the question was on the line of "all lives are equal, why save kids first?" This just sound like the spiritual successor of that thread.

Case in point, dont go on a cruise ship with my family and a boat full of era posters.