• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you do?

• Save the kid (you'd die)

Votes: 1,344 55.8%
  • Save yourself (the kid dies)

Votes: 1,065 44.2%

• Total voters

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I save the kid. but the moment he mouths off to his mom, he dies and I come back in his place.

*shrug* thems the rules, can you live with them? I can. hahahah

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I don't approve of being considered expendable 'just because'.

So fuck the kids. Except if they're my kids.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half tempted to make a thread with a poll about this moral scenario but from the perspective of someone reading the news story, just to see how people would judge an adult stranger for taking the seat of a child stranger.

I won't because I already know what those results look like.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there some myth (may or may not be true) that the reason for "women and children first" is that otherwise the men just shoved women and children out of the way and got on the lifeboats before them?

I think it was back in the day, chivalry. Children still
Had their lives ahead of them and women could continue to have children.

The whole thing is a myth:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22119-sinking-the-titanic-women-and-children-first-myth/

This idea of chivalry at sea has gained mythological status, but you're the first person to examine if it's true for many other maritime disasters. What did you find?
We went through a list of over 100 major maritime disasters spanning three centuries to see if we could find data on survival rates of men and women. We ended up with data on 18 shipwrecks, involving 15,000 passengers. In contrast to the Titanic, we found that the survival rate for men is basically double that for women. We only have data on children for a limited number of shipwrecks, but it is evident that they have really bad survival prospects: just 15 per cent.

What about the noble ideal that the captain and crew put the passengers first and go down with the ship?
What we can see clearly is that the crew were more likely to survive than passengers, with 61 per cent surviving, compared to around 37 per cent of male passengers. On average, the captain was more likely to survive than the passengers.

So this notion of chivalry at sea is a myth?
Yes. It really is every man for himself.

Why do you think we bought into the "women and children first" belief?
The Titanic has been so extensively studied and it confirmed the myth. There was little empirical evidence against it. Lucy Delap of Cambridge University argues that this myth was spread by the British elite to prevent women obtaining suffrage. They said, look at the Titanic, there is no reason to give women the vote because men, even when facing death, will put the interests of women first.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I voted save myself, but that is because that kid is not getting that seat. My SO is going to get that seat if I'm sacrificing myself.
and if my SO is already safe on that boat I'm not giving my seat to a kid to leave my SO all alone. I care about my SO far more than myself or any kid.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do the honorable thing of course but in reality I think 👇
tenor.gif

This but in a boat

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Am I on this ship of fools through no fault of my own? Like was I invited by one of the kid's parents?

maybe I can convince my concience that I could live with saving a kid if I kill one of the other adults?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I know I'M not going to eventually turn into the next Hitler, sooooooo...

Ribs

Dec 10, 2017
I'd only save the kid if their parents were already saved. If their parents are still in the boat, I'm gone. I aint raising no one else's kid.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd make room for more adults so I don't have to hear kids whining on the way to safety.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I get what you mean, I have intervened in similar situations. I think there is a parental instinct that kicks in. But I wonder if it's different if there is higher risk. Like the old man just jumped in to water, because maybe the risk isn't as great, compared to running inside a burning home, for a stranger's child

I think it's going to be tuned differently per person and situation. The longer people think about danger the more rational or afraid they're going to become - and the longer they'll have to overcome their first instinct - maybe even realize that they're not saving their own genes.

Ironically this thread has loads of opposite day "not my kid /problem" antiheroes saying they wouldn't risk their necks - but I bet a significant chunk of those guys actually WOULD jump to help in the instant. The flipside of the "I'd have kicked his ass" keyboard warriors that sometimes docpan those threads.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What we should do is have a vote. Everyone has 2 minutes to prepare and puts forward their reasons for why they deserve to live. After all have gone, everyone votes for the people that get the spaces on the lifeboats. Fair for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Id hate to have to hear kids whining when Im trying to enjoy the rest of my vacation on the lifeboat so off to the sea with em snot nosed lil banshees

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the thought experiment is already pretty absurd and the point is to get to your core views on this kind of exact thing right? If I'm being asked to sacrifice myself for someone else, then in my view, I'd need to understand what that meant. I'd need to understand who the kid is to make a decision like that, because my desire to make that decision needs to be strong enough to overwhelm my base sense of self preservation right?
The core of the question is "under duress, would you choose your life over a random kid?" which is an unlikely scenario, but not too absurd. I think I'm more likely to be in that scenario than somehow outside a burning building where both my dog and a stranger were trapped under mysterious circumstances (probably after being struck by lightning and the victim of an islamist terror attack.)

I mean, if you have to weigh how much you value your life over the kid's, I understand that. But there's a definite idea of "I save myself because I can rationally determine an objective difference in worth in human life" floating around here. You can see it in other topics, ranging from silly hypotheticals like these to topics about crime and justice. It's something I notice in places with larger populations of internet atheists.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Pfff my BF and I are English teachers. Knowing our shitty luck, we wouldnt get the sweet release of death but get stuck in charge of multiple lifeboats with shitty parents' shitty kids.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
How about save your family which is your kids, wife, and yourself.. Leaving your family without a father is a crap thing to do too.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if you have to weigh how much you value your life over the kid's, I understand that. But there's a definite idea of "I save myself because I can rationally determine an objective difference in worth in human life" floating around here. You can see it in other topics, ranging from silly hypotheticals like these to topics about crime and justice. It's something I notice in places with larger populations of internet atheists.

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. I am an atheist, so I am weighing the end of my existence vs the child's life. I suppose if I were spiritual and believed that I would continue to exist in some form after death, the weight of that decision would be very different.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Women control the population. Ten men one women you get one kid in a year. Ten women one man you get ten kids. Women have and always will be more important to population until we get artificial wombs so they get saved first. Plus I'd much rather my gf live then me in a life or death situation and I think most guys would agree.
Does you presume your gf would also rather she live than you (and 'most women would agree')?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
The core of the question is "under duress, would you choose your life over a random kid?" which is an unlikely scenario, but not too absurd. I think I'm more likely to be in that scenario than somehow outside a burning building where both my dog and a stranger were trapped under mysterious circumstances (probably after being struck by lightning and the victim of an islamist terror attack.)

I'm an atheist and don't believe in an afterlife but voted for saving the kid above myself.

That said I don't think your read of internet atheist communities here is wrong.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
to The people who would save the kid, would you do the same for any random adult? If not, what's stopping you from throwing someone else out of the lifeboat and saving both yourself and the kid?

Oct 25, 2017
If I knew 100% I was going to die, fuck the kid. He dies, I live.

In reality, I would probably convince myself there would be some other way I could survive until help comes and save teh kid. Then I would probably die.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think this is where I land. If I didn't have kids, I'd like to think I would let the kid go in place of me - but my life isn't about me alone anymore.

Yeah, it's a hard choice. I'd feel like if there was a reasonable amount of risk to save a stranger's child I would. (Like kid is drowning, I'm going in). But if it's a 100% kind of thing, no.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'd try to send the kids first. Also I think people like trolling these sorts of topics, lol.

In reality, other than some fringe cases, my guess is that a large majority would go with the old "women and children first" rule, and force others to comply. Different situations may lead to different decisions too.

Like, if you're the only one who would be left behind. How might that change your mentality? Would you be the first to volunteer to go down with the ship?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean its an easy choice for me unless the water is absolutely infested with sharks right there at the surface.(still the obvious choice but more scary to make)
Im a great swimmer, i'll take my chances swimming, riding a door, etc over a kid.

to The people who would save the kid, would you do the same for any random adult? If not, what's stopping you from throwing someone else out of the lifeboat and saving both yourself and the kid?
depends on the situation really,(do I have kids, do they, are they a healthy person, etc)

Last edited:

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
interesting responses here
save the kid, they dont deserve to die in a sinking boat without having lived at all