• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you do?

• Save the kid (you'd die)

Votes: 1,344 55.8%
  • Save yourself (the kid dies)

Votes: 1,065 44.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I would volunteer to go last. Which means I would die.

I'm OK with dying.

Oct 27, 2017
That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. I am an atheist, so I am weighing the end of my existence vs the child's life. I suppose if I were spiritual and believed that I would continue to exist in some form after death, the weight of that decision would be very different.
Even a vague belief in some nebulous concept of an afterlife or reincarnation can affect how you approach the system. And there are plenty of ethical and moral frameworks that don't rely on too much metaphysics that could out an atheist squarely in the "we gotta save the children!" camp. I don't even have to evoke Buddhist stuff in my rationale. I think the kid doesn't have any say in the matter, and I do, so whatever decision I make is for the both of us. I can't help but feel I'd have some kind of responsibility for them, since I have power over their well being. It's not a question of value, or suffering, but agency. It simply wouldn't be fair for them.

I saw a poll here a while back that had a clear 75/25 split favoring atheists, and I think a good chunk of them come from the Dawkins/Hitchens/etc lineage of atheism. Those guys were very critical of religious institutions, but I don't think they really gave their followers a good philosophical foundation to replace the religious ones they took away.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
just some random kid
giphy.gif

The kids parents are probably on the life boat already. They made their choice.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never be able to live with myself if I sealed some kid's fate like this...

Save the kid.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who puts themselves over the kids is an awful person who deserves to sink with the boat.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about other people's children, and I would never sacrifice my life for someone I don't care about.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd save the kid, or just some random asshole. I hope to one day be in the situation as it is probably the only opportunity to ever do anything worthwhile with my life. Otherwise I will probably die alone of diabetes.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm selfish as hell but obviously the kid. Could you look a kid in the eye and be like - sorry bud, gotta look out for #1!

I've had a pretty good run. I'm not that attached to living, when push comes to shove.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I probably will be the first to be in the lifeboat, if I don't know anyone fuck everybody else i wanna live lol a life of guilt is better than no life at all.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes when I read the responses in threads like this I wonder if I am surrounded by insane people or if I am the insane one.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. I know Era leans heavily in the older age, but not everyone is grandpa like you guys.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
yah.

If you're an adult you've had a life. You're going to die eventually anyway. If you can chose to end it in a noble act rather than wasting away in old age or some such shit, why wouldn't you? I've had enough experiences. Give the kid a shot at life.

But what if the kid is Hitler?
Because in this ridiculous scenario, if the choice is saving myself or some brat, I'm choosing myself. I don't like kids at all, which factors into it. I'm the only one who decides if I've had a long enough life, so you can keep that argument to yourself. Same with that Hitler nonsense.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
kids are just trying to outlive me so they can steal my job

don't trust um

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The kids for sure. I've lived long enough and wouldnt be leaving anyone behind or anything. Its hard to know what you would do unless in that situation. My survival instincts could potentially override any moral stances I have in a situation like that. But ideally I would rather save a childs life than my own.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"sorry kid, if I die, a lot of people will lose their jobs. People like your father, weeping in the corner over there. I must go. Thank you for understanding, brave little man."

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Because in this ridiculous scenario, if the choice is saving myself or some brat, I'm choosing myself. I don't like kids at all, which factors into it. I'm the only one who decides if I've had a long enough life, so you can keep that argument to yourself. Same with that Hitler nonsense.

'I don't like ____ so who cares gotta get mine' isn't logic that generally leads to good things

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I would like the OP to clarify, as my answer will depend on it:

Does this scenario happen before or after Avengers: Endgame comes out?

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory point of comparison.
Didn't expect era to be so full of so many selfish assholes not just regarding kids but this easily implies that 40% are the kind of people who would also look the other way during something like the holocaust. Me me me, gotta save my ass first.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Honestly I don't like kids other than my cousins. I would sacrifice myself for them but not random kids.

Didn't expect era to be so full of so many selfish assholes not just regarding kids but this easily implies that 40% are the kind of people who would also look the other way during something like the holocaust. Me me me, gotta save my ass first.

Ahh right. This hypothetical scenrio is very much the same as the holocaust. As someone that was born in Poland and who's grandparents fought the Nazi's, fuck off.

Last edited: