• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
PD1mksg.jpg

The fifth and final season of You're the Worst premieres on Wednesday, January 9th on FXX. The final season will consist of 13 episodes. The premiere is apparently up early on the FX streaming platform if you have access to that.

Critics have seen the entire final season and the reviews have been good so far:
Sepinwall said:
The show has always been a delicate balancing act of cynicism and sincerity, and occasional stumbles this late into the process are inevitable. Some experiments work, like the way this week's premiere feels like a wild detour until it becomes clear how much it has to say about Gretchen and Jimmy's love story. (It's the show's best, funniest episode in quite some time.)
NY Mag said:
What ultimately makes this season so meaningful and smart is its insistence on confronting the underlying, more dramatic issues with which the series has always wrestled.
RogerEbert.com said:
The tightrope-walking of the final season--one that feels both deeply satisfying and yet totally true to its characters--is a thing of masterful beauty. As a whole, the season is funny, smart, and--sorry Jimmy & Gretchen--moving.
NYT said:
Not all of this season's ideas are as successful. ... That's not a fatal flaw in this kind of high-concept comedy, however, as long as the writing is imaginative and the performances snap. And 13 weeks from now, the landing is indeed stuck, in a finale that answers the questions and satisfies the emotions without short-selling the serious issues.

CL1rnIi.jpg

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to have the show back for one more run. It was a little bumpy for a bit there for me after an incredibly solid few seasons, I'm excited to see how it'll close out.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
This has been one of my favorite shows since it started airing. Really happy to see it go out on a high note.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cautious optimism, which is appropriate given the show. Love that I can watch it back-to-back with Jon Glaser Loves Gear this season though!

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to have it back! Sure it's sad that it's the final season but I'm delighted we got this far.

Scelu6r.gif

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'd totally forgot about this show. Last Season I watched was 3 and totally forgot to check up on it.

I'll have to jump back in when this is finished airing, it's the best funny/depressing show, and it's portrayals of depression and PTSD were very well done.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Man oh man I'm going to miss this show. It's resonated with me quite a bit and I'm a huge fan of the unique, creative episodes they've done.

I've tried getting others into it but find S1 can be a bit tough for them to get through. I'd love to show them the creative stuff in later seasons but with no emotional investment the payoff isn't so great.

Also, thank you for the OTs every year, Cornballer!

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped off hard on the mid point of the last season, cool that it's getting wrapped up. Maybe I'll catch up.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Wow. That was so confusing (I thought it was his book being filmed) and then the last ten minutes I laughed SO hard. Amazing. LOL

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't enjoy that at all. I guess hooray for the bold decision to start a season like that? Not that it matters...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really feeling it either. It was sort of cute but totally unnecessary. The only bit I laughed at was when Princess Diana turned out to be alive in the end.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed the premiere and got sucked into the cheesiness of the 90s era. Lol@ video guy being able to pull a movie out of cyberspace. The Diana bit and the Professor coming back at the end were great.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Man, they nailed that cold open and aesthetic but as soon as the Cyberspace thing happened they lost me. Much prefer last seasons cold open.
Didn't really feel like it did much. Also so weird seeing Jimmy and Gretchen getting along better than ever after last season.

There's gon be a big problem, isn't there.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
" as the Cyberspace thing happened they lost me "

Uh yeah the point was that they're huge liars and it was ridiculous. I wonder how many that hated it are their age (mid 30's) because the 90s look was perfect.

They kept changing years too "crystal pepsi just came out" (1993) "princess Di's death (1997) "Chris Klein is in everything" (1999-2000). It made no sense, because they are just huge liars. That's the joke. They're the worst.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm older than they are. A reference for references sake does not a funny bit make. The problem was nearly everything fell flat, as is all-too often the problem with this show. It's either too absurd, too cartoon-y, or just plain misses the mark. Starting the season confusing your audience for 20 minutes with a plodding, generic love story that's nowhere near as funny as they think it is isn't the best way to draw your audience back, but again it makes no difference. They're done so they can do what they want. And they will! Which is OK, I guess.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was references for references sake, it wss window dressing for story being over top 90s romcom.

I really enjoyed it a fuckton. The ending of doing fight club got me.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think it was references for references sake, it wss window dressing for story being over top 90s romcom.

I really enjoyed it a fuckton. The ending of doing fight club got me.

YES. That was the best. metsallica just doesn't get it, which is OK.

"everything fell flat, as is all-too often the problem with this show "

It doesn't sound like they like this show that much anyway.

Nov 1, 2017
I thought the premiere was great. Nice juxtaposition of the show against usual romcom tropes. Nothing much happened in terms of plot but it's not like this is Game of Thrones or something. Enjoyed it more than any episode from last season.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
These weird surreal first episodes would work better if it aired along with a "real" episode back to back. Still, it was pretty enjoyable.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES. That was the best. metsallica just doesn't get it, which is OK.

"everything fell flat, as is all-too often the problem with this show "

It doesn't sound like they like this show that much anyway.
That's jumping to conclusions. It really only built the characters development wise by showing how close and back together they are, espeically with a somehow actually heartwarming ending. But the rest is the creators doing whatever for laughs without plot and more just concept.

Doesnt mean they don't get it, just not for them.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These weird surreal first episodes would work better if it aired along with a "real" episode back to back. Still, it was pretty enjoyable.

I would prefer if next episode they air a verison with every character replaced by their fake actors for week then take it down and replace with real actors just cause fuck it last season

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That's jumping to conclusions. It really only built the characters development wise by showing how close and back together they are, espeically with a somehow actually heartwarming ending. But the rest is the creators doing whatever for laughs without plot and more just concept.

Doesnt mean they don't get it, just not for them.

I disagree here. This episode was basically meta. Some people "get" that and some don't. Meaning you either think it's funny or you don't. There's no much middle ground on an ep like that. The defensive pose from someone who is told they didn't "get" it isn't necessary. It doesn't say anything about them as a person.

This ep was to show how they are the worst. It reflects the title of the show. They're horrible people and would make up this story just for fun. Which was hilarious.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching the show since the beginning. It has generally gotten worse, not better, but I can assure you I get the attempts at humor. Doesn't make 'em funny. Paul is funny. Lindsay is funny. The high-concept episodes of this show fail far more often than they succeed. Please reference the prior season threads elsewhere for endless confirmation of that. Regardless, I enjoy the audacity and risk-taking and wouldn't have stuck with the show if I didn't. I think my biggest problem is I came for the cutting humor and depression; I find the show suffers when it strays from that. Which it'll obviously need to do if it wants to give these characters a satisfying ending (at least for the audience), though I wonder if that betrays the whole premise. Shrug.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't love the premiere but it had some laughs. Looking forward to the more traditional episodes with all the characters in the mix.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Lindsey's cleavage should get a credit on the show. She does have the best cartoon voice, makes all her lines even funnier.

Lol @ Gretchen missing her fake wedding because she was banging her new toilet.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That's more like it. Hopefully we get to see them interact more with the supporting characters over the course of the season. I'd like to see their stories get closure too.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Paul F. Tompkins seems like he is ready to mess with Edgar.

Lindsey/Gretchen role-playing her talking to her mom was hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
What return to form? Having now watched every season five times, the show just gets better and better with each season.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So evil Paul F Tompkins is going to terrorize Edgar with weird food kinks.

The opening with Jimmy and the salty froyo was something..

Gretchen saying he gave it the Oliver Twist treatment was hilarious.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Now we're definitely in full gear. Nice to see everyone show up in an episode. That ending sure was something, huh?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was a bait and switch and they still end up together in the end.