• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Rules:
  • It doesn't have to be a complete game playthrough. Any recognized category (ex: a Mario Kart course time trial) would count as long as you place top three.
  • It must be a game that came out at least a year ago. No setting records on release day.
  • No outside communication. No internet. You're isolated on this island with only your current knowledge of gaming, recordings of past runs, a leaderboard, and a ton of free time.
  • You can study TAS but cannot use one for your runs.
  • Once chosen, you cannot change the record you're attempting to set.
  • You have enough food and supplies to survive for a year.
  • There's no other way for you to be rescued or escape. It's either rank or perish.
One year to master a game and save yourself. Whatcha got?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
For me, it would need to be a walking simulator of some sort with little randomisation as my reaction times just plain suck so it all has to be muscle memory (I'm very good at guitar hero and beat saber because I know when notes are coming, not so good at doom where I need to adapt).
In my heart I would go for Gone Home but that's a really quick run that's been optimised to hell so would be hard to skim off the top so instead my head is telling me to ho for Firewatch. Much more room for optimisation there but more risky as it's far longer so more chances to fuck up.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, easy, go for games that have, like, no leaderboards on them. Skies of Arcadia: Legends has like, five people on the 100% leaderboards.

It's also a 20 or so hour run, but hey.

So, uh, Toy Commander 100% it is.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Can I code and privately publish a game in 24 hours, survive 364 days off the food and supplies, then wait 24 more hours and set the record?

Serious answer - probably an adventure game or something that's easy enough to get through, but no one really plays that genre anyway so it's relatively easy. I had some #1 platinum trophy times on PSNProfiles, they've all been knocked off by now but are still top 5 easily.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speedrun through my food and then speedrun to my inevitable death.

I am the world's slowest and most methodical player.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Use the year to learn how to survive on my own since I'll be on that island forever.

On the plus side, I'll have video games to play.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
If you're not already a speedrunner, it would be next to impossible to independently pioneer an entire speedrun strategy and achieve a top 3 time. These records are the culmination of multiple people running the game over several years. Top 100? Might be more reasonable.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Probably a Trackmania track if that counts.
If not, it's probably Slay the Spire, glitchless.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna speedrun games that barely anyone plays.

Speedrunning Babylon's Fall levels.

Edit: Oh fuck, the game is not even one year old.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No outside communication basically makes this impossible. Someone finds a new glitch/method and you're done.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very sure that outside bosses strategies I can speedrun very well the MGS games.

I know they're very optimized though, getting into a top 10 is very difficult.

Papatulus

Sep 27, 2021
I once held a speedrun world record simply by virtue of nobody else ever posting a run of the game online, was later beaten by more than half by someone else who noticed this game with exactly one runner. Old PC/PS1 game that commercially released and has a wikipedia article so its not hyper-obscure.

in fact, I think its still just me and the other guy with recorded runs. so... do I get to leave the island immediately?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
24690370-01.jpg

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Broken Sword I'm sure I can speedrun very efficiently, I know that game like the palm of my hand.

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do I have to PB, or do I just have to get a time that would sit top three on the leaderboard? Because there are quite a few THPS1+2 ILs that I could whip out a top three time no problem in an hour or two. My Any% record for THPS3 was just beaten yesterday, so I'd probably choose that, though.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
People who choose short goals (like a single level or course) don't realize how optimized these categories are. The shorter the speedrun is, the more likely it is to have been milked for all its worth.

Ideally, you would have to choose something that's obscure, so very few people, if anyone at all, would have run it. But...

It doesn't have to be a complete game playthrough. Any recognized category (ex: a Mario Kart course time trial) would count as long as you place top three.

Here's the catch. If it's too obscure, it won't have a widely recognize category (I'm assuming we're going by SpeedRun.com leaderboards). Since you can't connect to the Internet or communicate with the outside world, you can't create the category yourself. And I'm assuming that you don't have time to prepare before going to the island.

Since OP especifically mentions that you have "a leaderboard", that means the game can't be that obscure. It must have been run, at least, once by someone else, and their times officially recorded by the keeper of the leaderboards. Chances are that person is better at that game than the vast majority of people who may want to try the challenge just to escape from an island.

In short, I feel this challenge, given the current conditions, is basically impossible for 99.99% of Era users :/

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
The easy answer isnt an obscure game, but a game no one would have bothered to seriously speedrun before.
Probably something like that one poker game on gba.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Name any obscure game, or any game which takes so long to complete 100% that simply finishing an LP would automatically net you world record.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did briefly hold 2nd Place on Bowser Castle in Mario Kart Wii Time Trials 2 Weeks after launch, so I guess I'm already off the island, huh?

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I think the best choice other than an obscure game with no competition would be any category that's so simple that almost anyone can tie the WR. However I wouldn't know what would fit the bill. Maybe a really simple Goldeneye level?

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would do a REAL speedrun of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Megaman 7 and Crash Bandicoot 2. No exploits or glitches or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe Life Force?

I can't say for sure how many times I've beaten it over the last thirty-six years, but it has to be north of fifty. I already know the patterns of the game like the back of my hand, so I feel like maybe with enough practice I could ace it.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gone Home any % and hope I get lucky. Sub-50s shouldn't take too long to hit but sub-48 then sub-47 will be the real challenge.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is easy enough to overcome if you choose a game and category with less than 3 runners on it.

For instance, for a Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney speedrun (yes, there are Ace Attorney speedruns), you can do it the hard way and do the normal "Original Cases" category with 20 other runners on the leaderboard… or you can just do the "Turbo Original Cases" category that only has two runners on it, giving you an automatic top 3 time.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm picking BotW or Yoshi Island.
Why?
Because I'm not ever planning on leaving the island, I'm just playing these games forever on the desert island.

alternative answer : Pikmin 5.
That game is never coming out soon so getting a top 3 speedrun should be easy.

• It must be a game that came out at least a year ago. No setting records on release day.
No fun allowed!

Obscure JRPG here we go.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Since no one ever played it but me, the Superman gb game by Titus, companion to the infamous Superman 64.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that finished that piece of crap.