• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.sfchronicle.com

Youth brawls at S.F.’s Stonestown mall prompts increased police presence

Two large altercations involving dozens of youths at the Stonestown Galleria shopping...

After two large altercations last week involving dozens of teenagers and young adults at the Stonestown Galleria shopping center, San Francisco police will increase patrols in the area and the mall will beef up its own security starting Monday, officials said Sunday.

Supervisor Myrna Melgar, whose district includes the mall along 20th Avenue on San Francisco's west side, said that there were two large incidents in the mall over the past week — one involving around 50 people early in the week and another involving about 100 on Friday. She said that Friday's events resulted in two victims, both minors, with physical injuries.
The mall has gotten increasingly chaotic in recent weeks, she said, with many youths being "disrespectful, rude and running around breaking stuff," in the lead up to the large brawls last week.

Police on Sunday declined to confirm the number of incidents and people involved in the events over the past week, but said they would be increasing patrols in response to the violence.

"This display of violence in the mall is not a common occurrence," public information officer Robert Rueca said in an email on Sunday night. "We have increased patrols in the area and will immediately address any criminal acts of violence."
Video posted on social media showed a large group of teens on the second floor inside a mall that the post identified as Stonestown, many pushing and kicking each other, before one person ended up on the ground. Several others then are seen repeatedly kicking and stomping on the victim before clearing out.

Melgar said in an telephone interview Sunday that the mall typically fills up with students from the neighboring schools after 3 p.m. on weekday afternoons, many of them getting beverages and snacks.

"Stonestown is really our town square here," she said. "Everyone hangs out there."
But she said fights are often streamed on social media, which she fears is part of the driving force behind them — with the attention and clicks that the violent videos attract encouraging students both to post the fights and get involved in them.

"It's fueling this kind of activity," she said. She added that students also may be not navigating conflict well after going through the upheaval and social disruption of the pandemic. She warned parents on Twitter to keep a close eye on what their kids are doing.
I saw these videos on Twitter earlier and my jaw dropped. Apparently they just find a random person and all start attacking them.

Trigger warning-there is some very disturbing violence against the victims in these videos.

Edit: removed the Twitter links. Here's a local news report with the footage.

View: https://youtu.be/xHZBrz8zf30

Last edited:

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The kids are not all right, cops aren't going to fix it.

Material change and actual justice will.

This also looks like some racialized bullshit btw, but I guess dumping Boudin didn't do the trick.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Generalization regarding Black People
Looks like a group of black kids targeting an Asian guy.

Which has been happening since the pandemic. Almost like there's a rise in Asian hate crimes or something that people ignore.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yo wtf's happening over there?
I've lived here over 20 years.

Shit is fucking crazy in the Bay Area right now. I went into the city last month and the tenderloin looked like a zombie movie because of the Fentanyl crisis. Just people hunched over and shambling into the streets. Lots of crime and break ins. The Bay Area subreddit and San Francisco subreddit have been depressing to read.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I've lived here over 20 years.

Shit is fucking crazy in the Bay Area right now. I went into the city last month and the tenderloin looked like a zombie movie because of the Fentanyl crisis. Just people hunched over and shambling into the streets. Lots of crime and break ins. The Bay Area subreddit and San Francisco subreddit have been depressing to read.
This is just America at large, the inequality is increasing, substance use disorders are increasing, and homlessness is increasing. There are flashpoints that people are experiencing, but it is part of a broader social decay under our current neoliberal hellscape.

Also:
Don't call human beings zombies.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Just to provide some context, this mall has a lot of college and high school students, as it's just down the street from SF State, and in an area with lots of other schools around that uses this mall as its hub as its well known.

This particular mall as well has gone through many changes throughout the recent years, as a hangout spot, as it started out as a fancier shopping mall, but now has welcomed many more food places so lots of teenagers are always at this mall now, as opposed to before which catering to an upscale experience.

However, I don't feel that with the shift in the identity of the mall, ownership of Stonestown has really done much to prepare for this new wave of visitors they hadn't really been getting before, and it's probably just reached a boiling point now that there are just more and more people heading there after the crowdless pandemic era.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
This is just America at large, the inequality is increasing, substance use disorders are increasing, and homlessness is increasing. There are flashpoints that people are experiencing, but it is part of a broader social decay under our current neoliberal hellscape.

Also:
Yup. More police are not the solution, and this thread will quickly turn into an excuse to shit on SF, homelessness, and the boogeyman of 'increased crime'.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I took my two year old there to get pictures with the Easter bunny a few years ago. Insane.

What does one even do if they are a witness to that?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, what the hell.

So glad I haven't had to go to the city since COVID started. I used to work in the tenderloin and there was a ton of violence against Asian people even before the pandemic. What the hell do you even do if you're the target of violence like this? Curl up into a ball while you get stomped?

May 24, 2019
Somebody jumped with two feet onto the neck of the kid in that second fight. Might need a warning for that vid.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fucking disgusting. Start prosecuting them as adults. Lessons need to be learned that you cannot live in society and act this way.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
So how could we solve the problem in a year or two? The situation been deteriorated in recent years.
Legalize more drug and elect "harsh on crime" candidate?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
That account is suspect but I have to wonder if the Bay Area is at a boiling point. It seems no one wants to do anything.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
The turning from Earth to Heaven is causing many souls to panic in despair. What was hidden will be revealed.

May 24, 2019
Definitely remove that account OP. Look at this:
The article's enough.

edit: Removed tweet since they're gone from the OP.

Last edited:

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a lesser chance this would be happening if it wasn't for social media, videos ending up online for clout. Not saying violence wouldn't happen without social media, but kids definitely do stupid shit for the sake of recording it / having an audience.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
looks like the result of 2 years of covid home schooling and anti asian hate? then layer on school bullying and you have recipe for disaster

Oct 27, 2017
The World
The twitter account itself is a bad one but the videos are videos. Something has to be done, no idea what a good solution is though. And you saw Asian voters move away from Dems in NY and CA in 2022 and that could become a worrying pattern going into 2024.

Also:

But do any of these issues you mention actually have to do with the attacks we see in these videos or is it just some kids going for internet points?

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm heated after watching that. Can't even imagine this level of hate.

Above all, that hive mind mentality of violence is really scary.

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
sf police are useless, what a surprise

what can a witness do who is over the age of 18? it's hard to hold back my anger watching this shit

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The twitter account itself is a bad one but the videos are videos. Something has to be done, no idea what a good solution is though. And you saw Asian voters move away from Dems in NY and CA in 2022 and that could become a worrying pattern going into 2024.

But do any of these issues you mention actually have to do with the attacks we see in these videos or is it just some kids going for internet points?
Of course they do! Kids that are struggling under historical conditions of oppression and unable to develop healthily are more likely to engage in violent and antisocial behaviors.

Poverty, inequality and substance use disorders along with housing and food insecurity will lead to poor outcomes for families and communities. Those outcomes are exacerbated by racial inequality and generational discrimination.

Bronfenbrenner and Bioecological theories of development along with social, political and economic theories engage with these concepts all the time.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do! Kids that are struggling under historical conditions of oppression and unable to develop healthily are more likely to engage in violent and antisocial behaviors.

Poverty, inequality and substance use disorders along with housing and food insecurity will lead to poor outcomes for families and communities. Those outcomes are exacerbated by racial inequality and generational discrimination.

Bronfenbrenner and Bioecological theories of development along with social, political and economic theories engage with these concepts all the time.
Nothing in any of those videos provide any context regarding those participant's social economic background. So I think right now you are assuming a lot of things that may or may not be true. Ultimately, nothing excuses such violent behavior so I wish you'd focus more on the victims than the aggressors here.

Oct 29, 2017
I live in the Bay Area with family close to Stonestown. Everyone in that video will be arrested. Most press here is very one sided against minorities pitting one group(blacks) versus another. Here's the outcome.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Nothing in any of those videos provide any context regarding those participant's social economic background. So I think right now you are assuming a lot of things that may or may not be true. Ultimately, nothing excuses such violent behavior so I wish you'd focus more on the victim than the aggressors here.
I reject every hypothesis you've spewed at me.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Well thank god they got rid of Chesa, the police magically filled their ranks (and aren't still quiet quitting) and this will all be resolved quickly by our new and very strong DA.

/s

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Those videos are hard to watch. The news report says these fights have been happening a lot and the violence is increasing. They mention that kids from the local schools seem to be hitting the mall at the same time and there are fights on wednesdays and Fridays. But they don't say why.

Is this a school vs school thing? Are they from the same school? Neighbourhood vs neighbourhood? Race vs race? Are these attacks random? Do these kids know each other? Is it for online clout? Is it a "trend"? Is it gang related? Is it Covid propaganda related?

So many things we just don't know. But it is disturbing

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inappropriate commentary across multiple threads. Threadmaking privileges revoked.
Why are you going from thread to thread trying to spread your religious views?
I just want people to see, to take off the veil that was placed on them by the Devil. They attacked my body and mind in attempt to keep me shackled in the depths of Hell so that I may never return. But I have returned and will bring peace upon this world.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been to Stonestown in a while. Used to work there while I was in college. The mall changed a lot.

I remember a target employee saying they started to close earlier than other targets in the area due to how many thefts and break ins.

The mall was never like that when I was in college.

Nov 7, 2017
Like the kids in the OP's video, they're not alright. Been an issue for a few days.

Similar to the violent and disorganized kids in the videos, Stick also needs some compassion, understanding and empathy.

It's quite the struggle all around.
As an Asian person fuck all the way off with compassion what about the victim?

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just want people to see, to take off the veil that was placed on them by the Devil. They attacked my body and mind in attempt to keep me shackled in the depths of Hell so that I may never return. But I have returned and will bring peace upon this world.
Mods can we please do something to get this guy help? I'm not trying to derail this thread but these posts are legitimately making me uncomfortable and all we are doing is locking his threads and telling him to take care of himself. That's obviously not happening.

I suffer from mental health issues. I have a tremendous amount of empathy for others that do also. But I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. This person could be a legitimate danger to himself and others. He's said several times he's wound up in jail twice during manic episodes and vaguely mentioned "causing destruction around town" or something similar. I feel like if somebody on Facebook kept making delusional claims that they were the devil or Jesus and some new age was upon us they'd have been reported to some sort of agency, but because it's ERA we tell him to log off and reach out to his support network? He's obviously not doing that and I'm genuinely uncomfortable seeing this dude post stuff like this non-stop. I feel like somebody is going to get hurt.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Mods can we please do something to get this guy help? I'm not trying to derail this thread but these posts are legitimately making me uncomfortable and all we are doing is locking his threads and telling him to take care of himself. That's obviously not happening.

I suffer from mental health issues. I have a tremendous amount of empathy for others that do also. But I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. This person could be a legitimate danger to himself and others. He's said several times he's wound up in jail twice during manic episodes and vaguely mentioned "causing destruction around town" or something similar. I feel like if somebody on Facebook kept making delusional claims that they were the devil or Jesus and some new age was upon us they'd have been reported to some sort of agency, but because it's ERA we tell him to log off and reach out to his support network? He's obviously not doing that and I'm genuinely uncomfortable seeing this dude post stuff like this non-stop. I feel like somebody is going to get hurt.
I'm sorry to worry you, I won't be posting anymore threads like this. I'm currently in bed listening to music. I'm fine now, but please don't attempt to censor me if I'm not hurting anyone. I

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I am scared...... But also very fascinated by you? I.... I think.... No. Nevermind ...