• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

One of my favorite YouTube channels uploaded a brutally candid look at the realities of making a living as a Youtube content creator. I've been a subscriber of theirs for years and had no idea the kind of rough shit they had been through earlier this year because of the Youtube algorithm.

I don't usually make threads (this might literally be the first one I've ever made) but I felt compelled to share this video because I feel that there should be more discussion about how Youtube treats its smaller content creators. I always see big gaming Youtubers get trashed on this site (Dunkey, Angry Joe, whoever), often rightfully so, but there are smaller channels out there consistently creating high quality content only to get fucked over by Youtube's bullshit algorithm. It's going to be a huge loss for everybody if high quality channels like Stop Skeletons From Fighting are forced to leave the platform because of shit like this.

Are there any Era users that have personal experiences with being a Youtube content creator that they would like to share?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Brutal indeed, I listened to it earlier and its why I could never do Youtube. And its such a shame that it happened to SSFF, as their channel has been one of my favourites in recent months, doing some great work covering some really interesting games, peripherals and Capcom localisations, here's hoping they do bounce back as it'd be such a shame to see the channel disappear.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
SSFF is one of my favourite channels. It bums me out that they don't have a bigger audience. They deserve nothing but success.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Probably my favourite YouTube channel (along with Gamesack, who are also criminally underwatched). The HD DVD video from a few weeks ago was FANTASTIC.

They must have put so much research and work into it only to get fucked over by YouTube.

Fuck YouTube.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Watched this early. It is really a horror story about how YT handle a lot of it's content creators.

Also, everyone needs to follow SSFF, their channel is amazing.

Edit. The HD-DVD video from above sent me into a rabbit hole of format fanboys/wars I never experienced back then

Last edited:

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Always have a backup plan. I feel for the team, but with youtube it seems like a one-way street meaning you're powerless once they switch up their terms.

At least they can leverage their skills into video production.

OP
OP
steviestar3

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Always have a backup plan. I feel for the team, but with youtube it seems like a one-way street meaning you're powerless once they switch up their terms.

At least they can leverage their skills into video production.

They talk about this in the video. It's a big reason of why he started a Twitch channel. They're attempting to diversify so Youtube can't pull out the rug beneath them.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They talk about this in the video. It's a big reason of why he started a Twitch channel. They're attempting to diversify so Youtube can't pull out the rug beneath them.

It just seems so risky to me, you can't set your own rates or negotiate with any of these entities, can you?

I have friends that have run a pretty popular YT channel for the last 10 years or so that got big off their first viral video. Over the last year they've been blindsided by a major loss of viewership and Patreon money, they're scrambling. It all seems so fickle to me.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Disheartening video for sure. Derek and Grace are great and I really would hate to see them having to end the channel because its no longer financially viable.

Youtube really needs to make huge changes, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've never heard of this channel before but it's an interesting watch to just to see what they're up against. Good luck to anyone chasing the youtube ad revenue though. I would never try to make it a full time gig knowing how fickle the system is. It's great for learning video production, editing , ect. but I've never looked at Youtube as being a primary source of income. You have to be incredibly lucky for that to occur as no amount of hard work, effort, skill or talent will guarantee success.

Oct 28, 2017
I've also been following him for many years, even before the name change. His content is great and should be shared on ERA. People still post Angry Joes lame ass videos in new threads so it's refreshing seeing you talk about SSFF. His Mighty Number 9 video was fantastic. Subscribe people!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic but I learned the other day that the channel name probably comes from a game genie cheat for Castle of Dragon for NES.

I'll have to watch this later. I've been a fan of Derek's stuff since the HVGN and they've been doing really solid work as Stop Skeletons. It'd suck to lose such a great channel to YouTube's dumb bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, this one hurt to watch. Derek and Grace are amazing people and deserve so much better, the quality of their work is great.

y'all should subscribe and like and all that jazz.

also, Derek is 35?! He looks younger!

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been a fan of his since HVGN and glad I refound him with stop skeletons some time back. If all the people that criticized Sterling for being to negative for views wanna put thier time where thier mouths are this a great channel.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like SSFF. This sucks, I hope they do well.

^He was great as HVGN too. When he started SSFF I actually didn't recognize him at first.

Nov 23, 2017
Derek and Grace are great, I pay to the Patreon what I can. I guess if everyone in this thread posted their videos around more we could make a difference since this is the first time I've seen someone post about SSFF here.
It just seems so risky to me, you can't set your own rates or negotiate with any of these entities, can you?

I have friends that have run a pretty popular YT channel for the last 10 years or so that got big off their first viral video. Over the last year they've been blindsided by a major loss of viewership and Patreon money, they're scrambling. It all seems so fickle to me.
You would think MCN's or such would be able to have negotiating power with YouTube but...they just have never functioned that way. Advertisers are the only people with leverage on Youtube.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better than nobody paying and getting wrecked by YT

It really, functionally isn't. Choosing the way you don't earn enough money to make a living might be "technically" better, like how it's probably technically safer to drink a glass of piss than it is to drink a glass of runny poop, but it sort of misses the entire point being discussed, that drinking human waste sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it earlier and until now I had no idea how important those early views and likes were. I kept hearing "like and subscribe" from every channel for years and I just started to tune it out.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube has never been a place where you can build a stable career out of. It's a shame they're not bigger though.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was quite a video. I hope things work out for Derek and Grace. I've enjoyed watching Derek for years now. From before he started using the SSFF name.

OP
OP
steviestar3

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I saw it earlier and until now I had no idea how important those early views and likes were. I kept hearing "like and subscribe" from every channel for years and I just started to tune it out.

I basically did the same, never bothered to do anything for channels I like except subscribe. I'm going to make an effort to use the like button more often now.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
YouTube has done an amazing job running all their gaming content creators off to Twitch. Great management there

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what makes me surprised at how so many people are trying to go full-time doing this, I just don't see it being feasible unless you've made it really big.. Otherwise you're just straddling the line.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I only discovered the channel a few months ago and it immediately became one of my favorites. Derek and Grace come off as extremely likable and their content is almost always interesting to watch. It's a shame to hear they're struggling.

YouTube really should be more transparent about how their platform works, but at this point it's clear that they don't really care.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard several times that if you don't have a bigger company managing your channel, adsense and everything else, you're basically screwed. They're the ones that are getting direct access to the YouTube staff and will get to give you all the information you need. Still, that doesn't come for free and several of these bigger companies will get a significant pie of your adsense for something that should be basic knowledge for creators and easy access to the platform.

Faboo

Banned
Sep 18, 2018
Been subscribed for a year or two but after watching the video last night, I felt so bad for the guy. I hope he and his wife start getting paid appropriately for their hard work. Great channel, great enthusiasm.