• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This randomly appears in the suggested apps of NoA website.
Switch media apps so far were limited to Niconico and Hulu.

1541243311-img-20181103-120749.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
As much as Nintendo have pushed Switch as a primarily gaming device, I'd get so much use out of YouTube. PCs/TVs are great but stationary. Mobiles are portable but screens are tiny. Switch would be an ideal middle ground.

Oct 29, 2017
Ehh? Cool I suppose. I'm sure it'll be handy at some point, but it's hardly a big deal when Youtube runs on literally every single modern media device known to man.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool. I'll probably never use it, but yeah I'm sure lots of people will so cool.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
wellthereitis.gif

I meant it's not like I needed it in my veins. But it's always nice to have some useful apps in the Switch.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Well then.
My complaints about the switch are rapidly going away if this happens.

Now I only need netflix and I can get rid of the tablet computer we have in the car for the kids movies.
I already have one switch for the older one and when the youngest turns four in half year she'll get her own switch too :)

The only things left for me (if that happens) is the lack of a browser.
Edit: And local save backups

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
If Zelda is really about to be announced as a Netflix show I can't imagine they wouldn't have that app ready to go as well.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'll probably use it to watch the Directs on the console, it feels strange to watch them on a X1 lol.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
As much as Nintendo have pushed Switch as a primarily gaming device, I'd get so much use out of YouTube. PCs/TVs are great but stationary. Mobiles are portable but screens are tiny. Switch would be an ideal middle ground.
Most mobiles these days aren't much smaller than the Switch screen thanks to its giant bezels, though

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If this gets a decent amount of attention everything else will probably follow. YouTube's like the entry point.

Oct 30, 2017
My nephew watchs more YouTube than regular TV. So for people who don't own a smart TV this is great for their kids. Also now kids can watch YouTube together on tabletop mode without the TV being used.

Edit
Just realised the TV in the 2nd lounge in my house is a plasma. Will be nice to have YouTube access for that TV.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Pretty great, if the search keyboard is half-decent it will already blow the Apple TV app out of the water.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Is there a link to this on the NoA site?

Still not been able to replicate this anywhere on the site, not sure how much i trust this rumour but I guess if Emily Rodgers is speaking up about it it's true.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope apps get a specific menú at the bottom of the screen. It could be ugly if they throw a giant youtube icon between game icons!

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Finally!! Now I can watch YouTube videos on a device with a lower resolution screen and worse battery life than the device that I'm carrying with me all of the time anyways.

Sarcasm obviously, it's not hurting anything having the app there but I really don't understand why anyone would ever use this over their phone/an actual tablet/laptop/PC/TV etc

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
coolio. i don't think i'll use it but it's a clear a lot of people wanted this. hopefully netflix is next.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Finally!! Now I can watch YouTube videos on a device with a lower resolution screen and worse battery life than the device that I'm carrying with me all of the time anyways.

Sarcasm obviously, it's not hurting anything having the app there but I really don't understand why anyone would ever use this over their phone/an actual tablet/laptop/PC/TV etc
Because a child (i.e. We're not the main audience for the various brightly coloured joycons believe it or not) might not have access to those things, certainly not all the time.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Perfect to watch NVC on friday night. I like my phone, but its too small and weird to hold at night

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. We don't need any options!

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

You can't see any benefits to YouTube on a device which can seamlessly go between handheld and onto a TV?

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
The problem with Niconico and Hule have been that we in europe can't really use the apps here, so YouTube is really needed for that!

But everybody can already use YouTube their phones or tablets, so no need for we and I only play at home too

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

My phone is way smaller and lower resolution. My laptop is bigger and slightly higher resolution BUT its screen is pretty bad in terms of colors and contrast. My TV is dumb and doesn't otherwise have YouTube.
You're welcome for the insight.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phones have gotten a lot bigger over the years. Only a little smaller than the Switch in many cases, and far higher resolution.

Really hard to imagine people whipping out their Switch in public to watch a YouTube video.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Neat, I hope it doesn't suck like the youtube app on Wii U did. You were better off just using the internet browser for that.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
I'm GLAD Switch doesn't have media apps because something something focus on gaming something... oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.