• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2019
Is there a way to control YouTube videos in Android Auto? Not related to showing videos, but rather control the audio of videos like on Apple Carplay. In order to pause or skip to next video, I need to fully pullover to the side of the road,, do the action and then merge back onto the road. On Carplay, I was able to just hit the button on my car's infotainment screen.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My car has controls on the steering wheel, but I can control it on the touch screen as well.

This is for Youtube music. I didn't know android auto let you use basic youtube.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is the same video not playable in YT Music? Google prohibits video playback apps in Android Auto afaik so they probably didn't particularly care for this use case. The work around is probably not use Android Auto and use BT connection to your phone instead.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Is the same video not playable in YT Music? Google prohibits video playback apps in Android Auto afaik so they probably didn't particularly care for this use case. The work around is probably not use Android Auto and use BT connection to your phone instead.
This. The whole point is to not have videos playing in Android Auto.

OP
OP
DestinyArrives
May 15, 2019
My car has controls on the steering wheel, but I can control it on the touch screen as well.

This is for Youtube music. I didn't know android auto let you use basic youtube.

My car has the same for YouTube music. If I pull up YouTube on my phone, put a video on and plug the device into my car, I can have the audio play through. However in Apple Carplay, I used to be able to control the video playback which is something I'm missing with Android Auto.

That's a good idea, ill have to try using Bluetooth later. Thank you!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I agree with that, I only want to listen to the audio and just be able to pause it or click the next button to change videos.
Then, as someone above said, you'll have to use bluetooth audio instead. I don't think VLC is an app allowed under Android Auto, or that might work to play just the audio of the video you are watching.