• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
How many commercials play per minute?!!
Freaking seriously. Is there an alternative to this site.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
you could try an ad blocker. If you feel bad about blocking ads from your favorite creators, you can always support them on patreon

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
you could try an ad blocker. If you feel bad about blocking ads from your favorite creators, you can always support them on patreon
Can I use one on my phone app? Like it's worse now cause this is when you open up a video. Just a commercial every like what feel like 30 seconds at times..

Oct 25, 2017
Do content creators not choose their level of monetization and therefore number of ads? I always thought that was the case.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're seeing ads in the middle of videos, it's likely the channels you're following are manually inserting ads at those timecodes. Try watching other channels or consider getting the ad-free YouTube Premium service (which makes money for the channels you choose to watch too!)

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It might not be Youtube, it could be just the creator(s) you are following. Many people can insert up to 3 separate 30sec adverts in a 10 minute video if they feel like it.

I just use adblocker, and donare €5 on patreon on the few channels I really care about (use almost daily).

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not too fussed about the ads at the start of a video, but those ones at the end can fuck right off.
I quite often fall asleep to ASMR vids and a nice loud advert playing at the end of the video is far from ideal.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see one ad at the beginning of videos and maybe one in the middle of long ones. What the hell are you watching, OP?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Its especially annoying when the insertion points seem random and start halfway someone's sentence. I mean wtf are you doing? I can see a few channels integrating them perfectly so it's not impossible.

And in a smaller region like mine you get the...same..fucking..ad ... every time. No I don't want to watch that trailer I've seen a million times now, go away.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
If you're seeing ads in the middle of videos, it's likely the channels you're following are manually inserting ads at those timecodes. Try watching other channels or consider getting the ad-free YouTube Premium service (which makes money for the channels you choose to watch too!)

This sounds like the type of generic non-advice youtube support would give out.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can I use one on my phone app? Like it's worse now cause this is when you open up a video. Just a commercial every like what feel like 30 seconds at times..

Yeah, this is the content creator monetizing, not Youtube. But nothing should be this extreme either.

If you are literally getting more ads than actually video check if some weird crapware is installed on your phone

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I guess you've got three options-

1) Watch channels with less monetisation
2) Go the legit route and get Premium (I did this, as I was only a couple of extra £ per months on top of my music subscription)
3) Be naughty and install YouTube Vanced or something

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i dont necessarily subscribe to the notion that ads are a problem (other than the evil ads from assholes) but i think youtube will eventually succumb to a level of greed and mismanagement that leaves them vulnerable in their current internet space

someday

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Guys. This isn't the case. I watch top rated videos, commercials. I watched an older video from Smallville, the same. As someone here mentioned, it was even worse during the election period. I got this one commercial about a legislator here for almost every single video I watched these past few months leading up to November. Almost drove me nuts. This Google monopolization is crazy.

PS: heck no will I pay for youtube premium. Already pay Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Spotify.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
have you tried having multiple youtube tabs open and whenever a commercial comes up on one you mute the tab and go watch the other video instead etc.

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
have you tried having multiple youtube tabs open and whenever a commercial comes up on one you mute the tab and go watch the other video instead etc.
My issue is that the commercial plays mid sentence. The reason I'm saying is not structured is there is no order to them.

I'm starting to think this is something youtube is rolling out based on the resppnses I've got here.

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no adds in my youtube app. Weird now that I think about it. Maybe everything I watch has been demonetized.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If you have a Samsung phone you could look into notSABS which will let you have system wide adblock. Alternative would be you could use Firefox for mobile and watch youtube through that instead of the app because FF Mobile supports extensions.

Edit: And yeah like another user suggested, Youtube Vanced works as well if you're on android. You can find the APK on XDA forums.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I hate those darn ads! Those ads feel like bags of sand in my hands. Yep I watch ads.

But honestly every content creator I support has a patreon so I don't feel bad Adblocking vids.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% go for Premium. It's fucking worth it.

No ads, ever
Downloading videos is incredibly handy for music
Sleep mode playback, again for music (and ASMR).

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds like the type of generic non-advice youtube support would give out.

I mean... its accurate? If your sole intention is to get rid of the ads hes right. Content creators can choose to load vids with adds. And it costs less to get YT red than it does to donate 5$ to two or more channel patreons. If you have quite a few channels you follow and you don't want to ad block, theres no very many other choices.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
YouTube's ads seem pretty good to me, honestly. A few channels are terrible, so I just don't watch them. If YouTube's goal is to annoy me enough to pay for Premium, then... well, they're failing.

I wonder if advertisement frequency is different for different people in different locations? I've seen lots of complaints, but I rarely get more than 5-second skippable ads at the beginning of videos.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on YouTube Red for ages now, on a family plan that covers 5 people/accounts, so I haven't noticed anything. But the way people talk, YouTube Ads sound like a hellscape anymore. God help me if they ever get rid of Red, I guess.

Red also comes with Google Play Music Unlimited, and you can share some Play Store apps you've purchased. It's actually a pretty good deal, in my book. And the creators still get paid, unlike with adblock.

(And then I manage to post right under the person that has a good point about giving them money...)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I have no major issues with advertising, even if its starting to become annoying.

I'm way more turned off by how damn aggro the mobile app is about going Premium.

No, YouTube. I want nothing to do with your shitty paid version and the more pushy you become about it the less likely I am to ever give you a single cent of my money.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The only beef with ads on YT I have are those ads where you need to click on them at the end. Fuck those.
Haven't seen any content were ads weren't splited few minutes apart (and most of them were banners).

StickofRock

Oct 28, 2017
There definitely was a noticeable switch about a month ago. Along with multiple time code ads, every single YouTube vid will now not start without an ad playing first. And it's always bloody squarespace. Every dam time. It's like my podcast audio demons have manifested visually.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Do content creators not choose their level of monetization and therefore number of ads? I always thought that was the case.

In the Youtube partner settings you can manually decide where to have the ad play assuming the video is above ten minutes.
jG8BN9q.png

Example

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Wake up. The Internet has become a celebration of corporate greed, governed by a select few, and youtube is only one of the many appendages designed to systematically control and exploit creative thought by maintaining a stranglehold on its means of distribution.

Go on, purchase YouTube Premium like a good consumer. Suckle on the teat of your corporate overlords.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently more channels have had mid videos added. I don't follow that many channels and none of them are YouTube "stars" but it's been noticeable for the past few weeks (Along with reuploads to fix "mistakes" on old content.)
Maybe, but...
YouTube's ads seem pretty good to me, honestly. A few channels are terrible, so I just don't watch them. If YouTube's goal is to annoy me enough to pay for Premium, then... well, they're failing.

I wonder if advertisement frequency is different for different people in different locations? I've seen lots of complaints, but I rarely get more than 5-second skippable ads at the beginning of videos.
I live in Thailand and it's not bad at all. Maybe that's it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I watched a Giant Bomb Quick Look and I got three ads in the first five minutes. It's absurd.