• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, "become".. It's been awful for a while.

At this point, if it's not a vid I really want to see, I shut it down as soon as it starts with a long-ass unskippable ad. Especially on mobile.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Sorry to go on a slight tangent, I fired up a different browser earlier and was presented with the old YouTube layout and holy moly is it so much better than new one (lack of Dark Mode aside). I had actually forgotten what it was like.

Don't even get me started on the phone app.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the YouTube adverts seem to have ramped up. I keep seeing Adverts 1 of 2 etc and I've never seen that before.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
YouTube seems to have upped their ad revenue game even further. It's unbearable. I use YouTube vanced on Android and a few browser mods on windows. They have put viewers in a bad spot now....

And no I will never subscribe to YouTube red unless there was actual value to be had. Perhaps they could buy rights to sport or start serious tv channel streaming.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I don't know what you want me to tell you, that's how it works. There's no special trick to getting rid of ads (especially on mobile like OP stated).

I know, you just sounded reeeeeaaally happy about the opportunity to pay.

My main annoyance is the insertion points of the ads though.

Btw I never see ads when I cast to my tv..

Zellator

Sep 14, 2018
I started using YouTube Ad Auto-skipper. It's technically not an Ad Blocker since it used to wait 5 seconds and skip, which I believe would still give ad revenue to the channels, but now it started to wait 1 or 2 seconds, so I don't know anymore.
Works great, though, would recommend.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't YT most likely the most expensive website to run in the world? Having a shitload of ads seems pretty understandable from a financial perspective.

Regardless there's pay and ad block ways to get rid of them so just do that?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed an unskippable 15 second ad the other day. Soon content makers will make to move to other platforms though if this keeps up.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know, you just sounded reeeeeaaally happy about the opportunity to pay.

My main annoyance is the insertion points of the ads though.

Btw I never see ads when I cast to my tv..
Part of my job is making stuff for YouTube, so yes, I'm gonna lead people to means that support the creators they like. You make it sound like a bad thing.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the YouTube adverts seem to have ramped up. I keep seeing Adverts 1 of 2 etc and I've never seen that before.

And it's not just YouTube doing this. I noticed some news sites that used to only ever show one ad before the actual content now showing up to 3 ads before the content actually plays. Shit is getting out of hand.

It's like they didn't learn anything from people cable cutting because of excessive ads. I can only imagine that someday even Netflix will begin showing ads. "You pay for TV channels and they still show you ads, so why wouldn't we?" is what they'll say.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what happened, but a few months ago, I suddenly started getting inundated with ads on YouTube.
Channels/videos which would typically not have ads had a pre-roll ad and multiple ads inserted in the middle of their content.
I watch about 5-10 minutes of YouTube (depending on playback speed) in the mobile app on a phone/tablet a day, and it's now become unbearable because a lot of that time is now taken up with ads.

I started a Quick Look from Giant Bomb on YouTube this morning even though I am a subscriber, because they have yet to update their app for full-screen support on the new iPads, and there were six ads inserted, in addition to a pre-roll ad, for a 30 minute video:
gb-youtube-tvcm0.jpg

(yellow markers on the timeline are ads)

And the ads are getting worse too - now you typically have to wait a minimum of five seconds before you can skip them, and I've seen ads which require you to watch 30-60 seconds or more.
At that point I just close the app. I hope they're tracking this.

Last edited:

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Part of my job is making stuff for YouTube, so yes, I'm gonna lead people to means that support the creators they like. You make it sound like a bad thing.

I have enough eels, thanks. I support creators through Patreon. Regardless, I should have added a ;) if that makes you feel better.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Wake up. The Internet has become a celebration of corporate greed, governed by a select few, and youtube is only one of the many appendages designed to systematically control and exploit creative thought by maintaining a stranglehold on its means of distribution.

Go on, purchase YouTube Premium like a good consumer. Suckle on the teat of your corporate overlords.

You know they have to make money somehow, right? Literally every video hosting site runs ads.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's good to see threads like this prove overwhelmingly that the "ad blockers are fine, they should just give us a way to pay directly" crowd are full of shit and people just want something for nothing because they're freeloaders.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
more mad about how little variation there is in your recommended feed. Unless you watch one video that's even tangentially related to neo-reactionairy bullshit. then its all over

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Just pay for it. It's not even expensive.
I guess it's priced differently depending on the country your in? Because it's 11,99€/month in Germany, not exactly what I'd consider "not expensive". Quite the opposite, in fact. More than every other major streaming/content service. And just to get rid of ads and having videos/music play in stand-by (the latter being also legally possible by using YouTube via Firefox in Desktop mode). I would really like to see the numbers on how many YT Premium users there are.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I use pay for google play music, which comes with YouTube premium. Seems like a good deal to me, and works out pretty well.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Wake up. The Internet has become a celebration of corporate greed, governed by a select few, and youtube is only one of the many appendages designed to systematically control and exploit creative thought by maintaining a stranglehold on its means of distribution.

Go on, purchase YouTube Premium like a good consumer. Suckle on the teat of your corporate overlords.

Ahhhh, to be 14 again.

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to see threads like this prove overwhelmingly that the "ad blockers are fine, they should just give us a way to pay directly" crowd are full of shit and people just want something for nothing because they're freeloaders.

Then pay for Premium or do without.

Why am I morally obligated to care about whether or not Google gets my 10 dollars a month to keep pushing alt right propaganda in my recommendations (but w/o ads!)?

I have almost no money and I still regularly donate to content creators and foss projects, which respect me as a user/developer and ACTUALLY NEED THE 10 DOLLARS.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Pay for YouTube Premium, you cheapass.
So, I had not even heard of YouTube Premium before, but I looked into it and it turns out that around the time when ads started getting bad on YouTube is when they launched Premium here.
This is also around the time that the YouTube app started draining my phone's battery about 1-2% per minute of playback unless I put it in low power mode - which I don't think is a coincidence.

Apparently they don't care enough about getting you to subscribe to it to advertise the service in their client, but it's clear that they have decided to make the experience worse for anyone not paying a subscription.
Oh, and it's double the price of a Netflix subscription.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
blocking ads is a trivial matter thankfully. It probably won't be forever so enjoy it while it lasts. With Google controlling huge portions of the web and financing a lot of it through ads... there will probably be a breaking point where they start taking blocking seriously and go scorched earth on making it much more difficult.

Wish there was a way to block those little pre-trailers that play in front of a lot of trailers now. Seriously... they have gone too far.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I started a Quick Look from Giant Bomb on YouTube this morning even though I am a subscriber, because they have yet to update their app for full-screen support on the new iPads, and there were six ads inserted, in addition to a pre-roll ad, for a 30 minute video:
It has to be added manually by staff itself. Newest Ranking of Fighters has 6 ads for 1 hour and Monster Boy QL has 7 for half of that. And judging by view count (10 vs 17k) they probably did right financial decision.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah lately I've been getting a shitload of 30-second ads every few minutes and at the most annoying possible times. Right when I'm getting into a video, the screen goes blank and cuts off whatever the person was saying to load a fucking ad. It's out of control. I would block this trash on all of my devices if I could. Shit's disrespectful.

It's like a stranger hovering next to you while you have a conversation, and swooping in front of your face as soon as you forget they're there. At least TV shows have designated commercial breaks instead of blowing up in the middle of a scene.

I'm making a point of boycotting each and every product and service that interferes with my valuable leisure time this way. You think I'll give you money for spoiling my mood over and over again? Eat my dick.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was intended.

1) Adblocks don't always work anymore. Apparently, if you're logged in your account can possibly be flagged and your adblocks basically stop functioning and on most videos you're faced with un-skippable ads upfront.

2) It's pushing people to YouTube Premium.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ever since Adblock plus broke on Chrome YouTube has been insufferable. How does anybody deal with all those fucking ads. It's like Google ramped up the ante just to make YouTube red look good.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be added manually by staff itself. Newest Ranking of Fighters has 6 ads for 1 hour and Monster Boy QL has 7 for half of that. And judging by view count (10 vs 17k) they probably did right financial decision.
I mean, maybe, but do people really watch a 30 minute video like that when there are six ads interrupting it? If I see that on the timeline I immediately close the video.
I'm making a point of boycotting each and every product and service that interferes with my valuable leisure time this way.
I don't know about "boycotting" a service, but I literally don't have time for these ads they're pushing.
As I said before, I watch 5-6 minutes of YouTube on my phone/tablet a day (which is as much as 12 minutes of video if it's a channel I watch at 2x) and I've had 90-second unskippable ads pushed in front of the video before.
That's 25% of the entire time I have free for it, and even then if it's a video I'm watching at 2x I'm likely to hit another ad after the video hits ~5 minutes too.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I only get bombarded with ads when I use the app. I skip ads unless I care for the creator enough to suffer through for.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, maybe, but do people really watch a 30 minute video like that when there are six ads interrupting it? If I see that on the timeline I immediately close the video.

I don't know about "boycotting" a service, but I literally don't have time for these ads they're pushing.
As I said before, I watch 5-6 minutes of YouTube on my phone/tablet a day (which is as much as 12 minutes of video if it's a channel I watch at 2x) and I've had 90-second unskippable ads pushed in front of the video before. That's 25% of the entire time I have free for it.
I meant the products and services being advertised, but yeah, the content to ad ratio is ridiculous now.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what happened, but a few months ago, I suddenly started getting inundated with ads on YouTube.
Channels/videos which would typically not have ads had a pre-roll ad and multiple ads inserted in the middle of their content.
I watch about 5-10 minutes of YouTube (depending on playback speed) in the mobile app on a phone/tablet a day, and it's now become unbearable because a lot of that time is now taken up with ads.

gb-youtube-tvcm0.jpg

(yellow markers on the timeline are ads)

And the ads are getting worse too - now you typically have to wait a minimum of five seconds before you can skip them, and I've seen ads which require you to watch 30-60 seconds or more.
At that point I just close the app. I hope they're tracking this.

Unfortunately, there is no official Giantbomb app on phones/tablets. I just use the webplayer, its not great but it definitely beats sitting through several ads.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube's treatment of tiered content delivery is interesting. As a YouTube Premium subscriber, from my Google Music sub, and YouTube TV or whatever, I see zero ads (As far as I know), across all of my devices. So I have this impression of YouTube as a nearly ad-free experience.

But for the vast majority of users, hundreds of millions, the number of preroll and in-video ads is sky rocketing.

I think YouTUbe lets it up to channel owners/creators to set the frequency of ads on their videos, but they seem to have a problem with people not assigning that criticism to the channel owner, but instead to YouTube. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I have a channel but have nothing on it so I don't really know how the ad system works beyond just "Monetize this Video" [which I don't know if I can even do anymore]).