• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I don't think anybody is saying he did it to intentionally waste the emergency services time (if someone did I stand corrected) but by doing something incredibly stupid just for some youtube clicks he inadvertently wasted the very precious time of the emergency people that could be used in situations of actual importance, so yes he is a gigantic moron, fuck him and his youtube channel.

It sucks that the fire department's time was wasted on a task that could have been easily avoided, but it's not like this guy wanted to get stuck. Stupid people are a drain on society, but we're not going to make them smarter by treating them with distain after they make poor decisions.

I guess this guy is making me think of smokers who get completely avoidable emphysema, or people who eat themselves into diabetes. I want to live in a society that dissuades people from making those mistakes, but doesn't begrudge them care when they make them anyway.

Not that I'm saying anyone's anger is unreasonable. It's super reasonable! I just don't view the situation the same way, and wanted to share.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
And as soon as 2018 hits most common cause of death amongst teenagers will be due to Pollyfilla and microwaves.

Between that girlfriend who shot her boyfriend with a desert eagle whilst he held a book to his chest, anything Jake Paul and now this, I fear for our children of the future.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that the fire department's time was wasted on a task that could have been easily avoided, but it's not like this guy wanted to get stuck. Stupid people are a drain on society, but we're not going to make them smarter by treating them with distain after they make poor decisions.

I guess this guy is making me think of smokers who get completely avoidable emphysema, or people who eat themselves into diabetes. I want to live in a society that dissuades people from making those mistakes, but doesn't begrudge them care when they make them anyway.

Not that I'm saying anyone's anger is unreasonable. It's super reasonable! I just don't view the situation the same way, and wanted to share.
That's fine, your point of view is totally valid and reasonable and I won't try to dissuade you on your opinion.

My view (and issue) with the situation is that to me he only found himself in this incident because of money, he wanted more views on his channel by doing stupid shit, so to me personally greed was the motivator for this whole conundrum and that's why I don't pity him. I pity the emergency services people who had to waste their time with someone like him.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck were they hoping the result of this would be?

My guess would be a lot of attention and money. He sure got a lot of attention from it to be sure. And the ad revenue from all the views it got has to be substantial!

This kind of shit right here makes me furious angry! I'm not normally an angry person and it takes a lot to get me there during the rare times I do get this mad but this jackass assclown did it! Why? Guys like this do completely asinine, obscene over the top stunts snd instead of getting hurt or killed like they probably should from this kind of crap they get rewarded! With attention...money...what's scary is this kid will probably end up with a stable secure job! Meanwhile you've got millions like myself who try to treat others right and make a difference...we're struggling very badly. I just don't get it. Sorry for the rant, people like this don't deserve any kind of reward or praise for these stunts.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he tries to monetise this shit, every cent he makes should go to the people this could have saved while they were wasting their time with him

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen these guys' videos. Not really my thing, but it sounds on par with their *shenanigans. Pretty sure he has a burst eardrum from having melting wax on his head.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
How would you even come up with something this foolish in the first place? Boggles my mind honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
This is literally this just for a way stupider reason
429995.gif

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This got reported by the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-your-head-into-a-microwave-is-a-bad-idea/

There have been a fair share of trendy, destructive social media "challenges" on YouTube over the years: The "Cinnamon Challenge," the "24 Hour Polar Plunge Challenge" and, at one point in 2014, the "Fire Challenge," where — that's right — you set yourself on fire.

But after a British YouTube prankster's stunt went so badly Wednesday he required a fire brigade rescue, it seems unlikely the "Cement-Your-Head-In-A-Microwave Challenge" will gain any traction.

Jay Swingler, a 22-year-old from Wolverhampton, England, runs the TGFbro YouTube channel with his co-star, Romell Henry, who together post videos of themselves playing with explosives, soaking in tubs of fake tanner or trying to set themselves in jelly. Some of his videos have had more than 2 million views.

This week, the pair decided to try something especially dramatic. Swingler put his head inside a microwave, which was then filled with Polyfilla, a spackling paste used to filled holes and cracks in walls. A plastic tube was supposed help him "actually breathe" as the material solidified and expanded around his head.

Swingler's friends tried to disassemble the microwave and free him but weren't successful. The microwave was stuck on his head for 90 minutes before a friend called 999 for help around 1:49 p.m. Wednesday, fire officials said. Firefighters and paramedics arrived within minutes and spent about an hour wrangling and chiseling away at the microwave.

"Taking the microwave apart was tricky, because a lot of it was welded," said West Midlands Fire Service Watch Commander Shaun Dakin in a statement posted to the fire service's website. "(Swingler) was very relieved when we removed a large chunk of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe more easily. But we had to be extremely careful with the screwdriver, working so closely to his head."

Once he was freed, Swingler said in the video that he "never appreciated life so much, ever."

"Oh my God, oh my God, I love you guys," he told firefighters and paramedics in the video when they removed the microwave.

Emergency rescue officials hope the stunt will serve as a warning to other pranksters that YouTube views aren't worth the danger associated with certain dares.

"As funny as this sounds, this young man could quite easily have suffocated or have been seriously injured," Dakin said

The fire service expressed its frustration in a tweet, saying it was "seriously unimpressed," by the stunt. In a follow-up video statement posted to Twitter, West Midlands Fire station commander Simon Woodward said that if fire crews are busy attending to irresponsible YouTube video entertainers, those crews won't be able to help others in need of assistance.

Woodward said the service charge for the help should have been about 650 pounds — or about $870 — but that they won't charge Swingler because he was in serious danger.

"What I'd like to do is remind everybody not to put their lives at risk for the sake of other people's entertainment," Woodward said.

Gizmodo reported that the video included advertisements Friday morning, but that the advertisements were gone by early afternoon.

A YouTube spokesperson told Gizmodo that the video was demonetized because it contained "content that promotes harmful or dangerous acts that result in serious physical, emotional, or psychological injury is not suitable for advertising."