• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I'm not literally being forced to watch this, but I opened up YouTube to look up some videos to help me find a new cell phone, and I was immediately greeted with this fearmongering Donald J. Trump for President ad at the top of my feed.

SD4nPTi.jpg

Okay, that's annoying, but I figure I'll just click the hamburger menu, and tell YouTube I'm not interested like I do for most other ads. However, opening the menu only gives me the following options.

DnkUxdr.jpg

So I can't tell YouTube to fuck off and hide the ad. I can't pause it either, because clicking it just opens the ad in full screen. For reference, here are the options when you click the menu for every other ad.

bH0Gvjm.jpg

The fuck is this shit? I'm not interested in politics. I don't watch political videos. Why am I seeing this asshat's propoganda the instant I open YouTube? If I click the "Why this Ad?" button, it tells me it's based on my location. Are they just showing me this trash because I happen to live in Arizona?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a quick search, and didn't find anything. My first thread, BTW. This annoyed me so much, that I actually took the time to make my first thread.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Same thing here. YouTube said is it is because I don't have personalized ads enabled.

Fuck YouTube for allowing this CUNT to advertise this bullshit

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting random trump ads at the top of the screen whenever I open the app too. Fuck YouTube. I'm done with this shit.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They spot the rubes that are 'NOT INTERESTED IN POLITICS' and spam you. Oh well. Maybe get interested and realize how much they are fucking you over.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
How dare you ... get served with an ad someone paid for? That gives you the option to stop seeing the ad?

I don't see what the issue is here other than "I don't like getting advertised stuff I don't want to see." What kind of privilege is that?

People who you don't like are going to pay to advertise themselves. Time to cut off newspapers, radio and television, then.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I've blocked the ad 5 times now and it keeps showing up whenever I open the app lol

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dare you ... get served with an ad someone paid for? That gives you the option to stop seeing the ad?

I don't see what the issue is here other than "I don't like getting advertised stuff I don't want to see." What kind of privilege is that?

People who you don't like are going to pay to advertise themselves. Time to cut off newspapers, radio and television, then.
It's racist propaganda.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017

YouTube is a giant cesspool that goes out of its way to promote right wing lunatics. It's a problem because it is socially irresponsible and it's excruciating to experience on a personal level.

OP
OP
MadMike

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing here. YouTube said is it is because I don't have personalized ads enabled.

I never bothered to turn off personalized ads, so that explaination is bullshit.

Can you not tap the 3 dots and tell YouTube not to show ads from Trump?
Nope. That's why I took exception with this ad. The second image shows the options.

Good reading comprehension I guess. I'm not complaining about seeing an ad. I'm complaining that I'm being fed propoganda that CANNOT be hidden, paused, or skipped.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

There are laws that prevent advertisers from advertising bullshit and shit products. Trump is shit and his wall is shit.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I'm not literally being forced to watch this, but I opened up YouTube to look up some videos to help me find a new cell phone, and I was immediately greeted with this fearmongering Donald J. Trump for President ad at the top of my feed.

SD4nPTi.jpg

Okay, that's annoying, but I figure I'll just click the hamburger menu, and tell YouTube I'm not interested like I do for most other ads. However, opening the menu only gives me the following options.

DnkUxdr.jpg

So I can't tell YouTube to fuck off and hide the ad. I can't pause it either, because clicking it just opens the ad in full screen. For reference, here are the options when you click the menu for every other ad.

bH0Gvjm.jpg

The fuck is this shit? I'm not interested in politics. I don't watch political videos. Why am I seeing this asshat's propoganda the instant I open YouTube? If I click the "Why this Ad?" button, it tells me it's based on my location. Are they just showing me this trash because I happen to live in Arizona?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a quick search, and didn't find anything. My first thread, BTW. This annoyed me so much, that I actually took the time to make my first thread.
Sounds to me like they're getting real aggressive and real slick about pushing premium accounts

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Good reading comprehension I guess. I'm not complaining about seeing an ad. I'm complaining that I'm being fed propoganda that CANNOT be hidden, paused, or skipped.

As morally, ethically and treacherously evil as Donald Trump is, what happens when you hear a political ad on the radio? See it in the paper? See it on television? Those can't be "hidden, paused, or skipped" in EVEN FEWER ways than you can on YouTube, especially with the advent of adblock.

Hope you never watch TV before an election.

This person embodies the point being made; you're not being "forced" to do anything that isn't out of the ordinary for US media consumption.

There will be heaps of shit spending money to advertise their heaps of shit. Even in Ontario, Canada, we've seen heinous shit from the Doug Ford campaign, and I've worked in situations where I've been confronted with Rob Ford attack ads in numerous means.

Either handle assholes advertising asshole things or just turn it off. You can even block ads on the internet in ways you can't in virtually any other means. To live your life expecting to see no ads that piss you off is, in fact, privileged. Welcome to politics; it's 2019 and you live in a toss-up state.

OP
OP
MadMike

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
As morally, ethically and treacherously evil as Donald Trump is, what happens when you hear a political ad on the radio? See it in the paper? See it on television? Those can't be "hidden, paused, or skipped" in EVEN FEWER ways than you can on YouTube, especially with the advent of adblock.

This person embodies the point being made; you're not being "forced" to do anything that isn't out of the ordinary for US media consumption.

There will be heaps of shit spending money to advertise their heaps of shit. Even in Ontario, Canada, we've seen heinous shit from the Doug Ford campaign, and I've worked in situations where I've been confronted with Rob Ford attack ads in numerous means.

Either handle assholes advertising asshole things or just turn it off. You can even block ads on the internet in ways you can't in virtually any other means. To live your life expecting to see no ads that piss you off is, in fact, privileged. Welcome to politics; it's 2019 and you live in a toss-up state.

I understand what you're saying. I recognize that I am perhaps being a little unreasonable. I don't watch television, at least in the traditional sense, and I don't listen to the radio, so this shit is not something that I encounter very often. It just really irritated me that they went the extra step to disallow hiding the ad.

I do have adblock, but I haven't been able to get it working with the YouTube app without rooting my phone.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never use the app but i loaded it up and sure enough the ad was there. Dns66 doesnt seem to work in blocking it in the app. Ill just stick to using yt in the browser.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Not interested in politics?

Might as well stop ignoring what's happening around you and start now, OP.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
youtube premium, breh
clean your history every other day or so and remove videos you don't want associated with your account
prune your suggested videos, remove the stuff you don't want
it's a pain in the ass at first but it does help

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got the same thing. Couldn't click to stop showing it, so I instead clicked on the video, gave it a thumbs down (majority of people seem to have done the same), and reported it for being hateful content.

Now it's not showing up.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah happens to me too.

I just take solace knowing that their ad dollars are wasted on me.

Also there comes a point when you have to come to the realization that places like youtube are breeding grounds for, and make money from catering to shitlords.

At some point when one media becomes soooooo pervasive we really will have to look into what is allowed and what is not allowed. When something effectively has no competition and has so completely dominated the medium, it should probably be regulated to mandate an option for all ads to be able to select "don't show me this fucking ad ever again"

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
OP, get firefox mobile and use the ublock extension on mobile youtube. It's not as good as the actual app but it should get rid of those awful ads at least.

OP
OP
MadMike

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up...

I'm not interested much in politics as much as the next guy OP, but you are on Android...

Why the heck aren't you using Newpipe? Why are you using Google's shitty app?

I've never heard of that. I don't use YouTube a ton on my mobile device. Mostly on my PC, where adblock works perfectly for hiding all of this nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I've never heard of that. I don't use YouTube a ton on my mobile device. Mostly on my PC, where adblock works perfectly for hiding all of this nonsense.
Gotcha. Well, today is your lucky day!

https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe

Seriously, it's something I tell every Android user to use. With this on Android and your desktop OS content blockers, looks like it's gonna be smooth sailing for you from now on.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Use youtube vanced. There's a non-root version.

Before you ask, Youtube Vanced is literally the same as the official one except it blocks all the apps and has background play enabled. NewPipe is an that enables you to wach videos and also listening to in the background, it also includes video/audio download but you cannot login if you are heavy suscription user, that's a downer.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

I get ads for iPad Pro. I'm so used to ignoring them I had to open the app to see if there really was an ad. It's okay to not watch ads, just skip to the video you want to watch.

Oct 26, 2017
noticed its been heavy in the last day/two.

ever since trumps crazy as shit news Q/A, this propaganda been laying on thick.

not a coincedence

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Never seen it, personally. I just see a bunch of random ass ads, but I'm not living in the US right now. That might be why. Lol I'm glad I don't see Trump ads. Shit would be annoying.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So glad I always use adblock in Youtube.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

The point of this is how this is even seen by us in real-time due to MICROTARGETING not being much of a thing here apparently.

Unless vulnerable people are getting even worse ones...