• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it, mostly because this gives trolls less power. I've personally found groups online where they organize review bombs, in the form of dislikes or score bombing on websites that allow user scores. It is beyond disgusting and the issue is bigger than you wanting to see if a video is worth watching based on likes or dislikes.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be totally fine with this feature if it was opt-in by creators on a per-video basis. Let corporations or scammers or people dealing with trolls turn them off. People should just be skeptical when they're off, that's all.

Dislikes are absolutely critical to certain video categories, like DIY stuff. If a video about how to perform something is majorly disliked, I'm probably going to read the top comment and learn that this person was about to make me set my house on fire. If dislikes are visible and low, I know it's probably safe. If hiding dislikes were optional, and a DIY video did this, I'd instantly assume it was a video that got disliked for having bad information and I'd just go to the next video.

Oct 25, 2017
He even changed the description of his big video.

Watching Matt Koval's announcement about the removal of dislikes, I thought something was off. The spoken words did not match the eyes. The video reminded me of an interview Admiral Jeremiah Denton gave in 1966. I have never seen a less enthusiastic, more reluctant announcement of something that is supposed to be great.

Calling the removal of dislikes a good thing for creators cannot be done without conflict by someone holding the title of "YouTube's Creator Liaison". We know this because there exists not a single YouTube Creator who thinks removing dislikes is a good idea -- for YouTube or for Creators.

Why would YouTube make this universally disliked change? There is a reason, but it's not a good one, and not one that will be publicly disclosed. Instead, there will be references to various studies. Studies that apparently contradict the common sense of every YouTuber.

The ability to easily and quickly identify bad content is an essential feature of a user-generated content platform. Why? Because not all user-generated content is good. It can't be. In fact, most of it is not good. And that's OK. The idea was never that all content is good. The idea WAS, however, that among the flood of content, there are great creations waiting to be exposed. And for that to happen, the stuff that's not great has to fall by the side as quickly as possible.

The process works, and there's a name for it: the wisdom of the crowds. The process breaks when the platform interferes with it. Then, the platform invariably declines. Does YouTube want to become a place where everything is mediocre? Because nothing can be great if nothing is bad.

In business, there's only one thing more important than "Make it better". And that's "Don't fuck it up".

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I never realized how often I check for dislikes or compare the likes vs dislike ratio until this last week. There are so many videos of unfamiliar content creators I click on and my first instinct is to see the general reaction, and now all I get is how many likes, and I have to try and guess if that is good for the amount of views it has. I hate this change.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's happening, it's already there on Edge for me as I see this!

bandicam-2021-11-22-11-39-22-064.jpg

However with Firefox it's still there, and, well, it doesn't look pretty but it'll be updated someday!

bandicam-2021-11-22-11-38-50-983.jpg

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I'd be totally fine with this feature if it was opt-in by creators on a per-video basis. Let corporations or scammers or people dealing with trolls turn them off. People should just be skeptical when they're off, that's all.

Dislikes are absolutely critical to certain video categories, like DIY stuff. If a video about how to perform something is majorly disliked, I'm probably going to read the top comment and learn that this person was about to make me set my house on fire. If dislikes are visible and low, I know it's probably safe. If hiding dislikes were optional, and a DIY video did this, I'd instantly assume it was a video that got disliked for having bad information and I'd just go to the next video.

This should have been the compromise

Now seeing this all in action, it feels all wrong. The negatives really outweighs the positives because of this

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
*sigh*

Just the other day I watched a video about a "race" between a Tesla vs another electric car. Just by seeing how the dislikes was unusually one decimal point away from the likes, I could tell that the Tesla ultimately lost, and had a good laugh at the fanboys getting hurt over a petty thing like that.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Forced positivity on the behalf of annoyed brands. Gross

All this makes me want to do is dislike every video

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
This is a massive blow to educational content on Youtube, and it's completely irresponsible of Youtube to ignore just how important the site is for a) learning b) being able to filter good material from bad. This move does make a service like Nebula make more sense though. Might actually go in on it now.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't mind it, mostly because this gives trolls less power. I've personally found groups online where they organize review bombs, in the form of dislikes or score bombing on websites that allow user scores. It is beyond disgusting and the issue is bigger than you wanting to see if a video is worth watching based on likes or dislikes.
Agreed.
I saw a couple turn off their comments and got dislike dogpiled because they gave their kids too many christmas presents.
Fanboys review bomb products they don't like or buy.
Right wing groups will bomb opinions they don't like.
Religious groups will bomb gay creators.

Hiding dislikes isn't perfect, but there is a valid reason. There is a lot of trolling, review bombs, and dogpiling going on. The dislike choice is getting abused and used for hate a lot more than it is being beneficial.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.
I saw a couple turn off their comments and got dislike dogpiled because they gave their kids too many christmas presents.
Fanboys review bomb products they don't like or buy.
Right wing groups will bomb opinions they don't like.
Religious groups will bomb gay creators.

Hiding dislikes isn't perfect, but there is a valid reason. There is a lot of trolling, review bombs, and dogpiling going on. The dislike choice is getting abused and used for hate a lot more than it is being beneficial.
I still don't see how this addressed that. The creators affected by organized hate will still get dislikes and hateful comments that'll force them to turn off comments and or ignore the dislikes they get.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I just read that December 13th will be the last day dislikes can be viewed as from that point they would be hidden everywhere! Let's see what happens on that day!

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I've never hit like on any videos that I actually liked lol, unless it's a music video or something that I want to go to my liked tabs for easy access again later.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I installed the Return Youtube Dislikes extension and it seems to work fine, even on newer videos. Just takes a few seconds to load the dislike count back in.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I installed the Return Youtube Dislikes extension and it seems to work fine, even on newer videos. Just takes a few seconds to load the dislike count back in.
It's cool that it works, but I wouldn't be surprised if Youtube gets rid of this function later on. I remember using an extension to get the old layout back when the new current one came because I liked how it looked and it loaded faster for me plus better use of tabs but then months later Youtube made it so the extension stopped working completely which sucks. I think the same could happen with this one as well.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm going to download that extension, this was such an annoying, unnecessary change. Curious to see how "accurate" the extension will be once the API is updated though.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I've never hit like on any videos that I actually liked lol, unless it's a music video or something that I want to go to my liked tabs for easy access again later.
Same, haha. Now I'll definitely never click it. The whole system just seems pointless.

I mean, I get why they are probably doing this but it's definitely not without some significant flaws in terms of how people filter through the content they view.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I would know a workaround, but I doubt it would work in practice:
One user (or the creator) writes two comments: "Likes" & "Dislikes".
If users like a video, they should like the "Likes"-comment. If users don't like a video, they should like the "dislike"-comment.
With that, we can compare the likes and dislikes.
Problem is only how to keep the two comments on the top.

May 26, 2018
I would know a workaround, but I doubt it would work in practice:
One user (or the creator) writes two comments: "Likes" & "Dislikes".
If users like a video, they should like the "Likes"-comment. If users don't like a video, they should like the "dislike"-comment.
With that, we can compare the likes and dislikes.
Problem is only how to keep the two comments on the top.

Creators can pin a comment to the top, so all you would have do is pin the dislikes comment, and have likes go to the video itself. But a bunch of people don't read comments, so they'd put dislikes into the invisible system anyway. It wouldn't be very accurate. And anyone who creates "disliked" videos because they're scam artists or controversy artists wouldn't create a pinned dislike comment.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what this video is supposed to prove, he keeps talking about yelp reviews and specifically one and five star reviews and how only seeing one side won't give you the entire picture ... yeah, but that's not the same as binary Like/Dislike buttons with no reviews attached.

And his own hairstylist experiment even kinda proves that the one star reviews are pointless, it was a perfectly fine haircut for the price point and clearly not the worst in the city. Of course the five star review isn't really helpful either but all he achieved is telling people why they're both stupid, not why we need them.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what this video is supposed to prove, he keeps talking about yelp reviews and specifically one and five star reviews and how only seeing one side won't give you the entire picture ... yeah, but that's not the same as binary Like/Dislike buttons with no reviews attached.

And his own hairstylist experiment even kinda proves that the one star reviews are pointless, it was a perfectly fine haircut for the price point and clearly not the worst in the city. Of course the five star review isn't really helpful either but all he achieved is telling people why they're both stupid, not why we need them.
I guess reviews dont matter for you, but for example if I see mostly shitty reviews in a movie/game, then i would probably avoid it before risking having a bad time and wasting my time or money.

This is another analogy very similar to what ludwig said, the thumbs down situation is like hiding all bad reviews of a video/movie and only keeping the positive ones.

In a way, the thumbs down acts as a review of sorts, just without the nuance of normal reviews.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But how can I discern if a tutorial is bad or not now? I used to just be able to look at the dislikes and figure out what were better…

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been looking up tutorials for a project I've been working on and it really sucks not having the dislikes. Good to see all the backlash, hopefully they reverse their decision.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
I remember whenever a video would get a lot of dislikes, there would always be that person that would say "all it does is drive engagement, they like it!" I guess not everyone liked all that engagement.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I remember whenever a video would get a lot of dislikes, there would always be that person that would say "all it does is drive engagement, they like it!" I guess not everyone liked all that engagement.
Lol. But yeah dislikes do count towards engagement so it makes it funnier to hide the number from public viewing.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
They should give options to hide all comments when viewing instead. 0 percent chance of that ever happening either.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully there are a few dislike plugins already out there, so there's that, for now.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
The uploader could already turn off comments and likes/dislikes, its been a feature for a while.

I mean let non-uploaders (viewers) turn off comments on all videos, regardless of whether the creator enables them. Fullscreening it on mobile is currently the only way to dodge those dumb top comments.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I guess, but to me it doesn't make sense as a feature to add. You can't even see comments unless you scroll down. And it seems like they don't even load on the page until you do scroll down anyway.

Fair enough, I see your point! Anyways, as much as I hope they reverse course on dislikes probably not gonna happen.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably worth mentioning that there are extensions out there that can let you see the Dislike Count if you wish. Youtube Enhancer is letting me see the nearly 180k dislikes the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion reveal trailer got.