• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have to deal with this garbage? I have my video history and all that deleted and paused, so it doesn't recommend me stuff. I don't even watch game videos or Star Wars stuff on YouTube really. How did this happen?

It was literally a huge AF thumbnail with all caps and the spoiler was right in the title. Ugh. What can be done about this?

edit: title should say *watch and not "want".

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
If I come across stuff like that, I just close it and move on. Doesnt bother me personally but its understandable that others would be bothered by this.

There's no option to ignore certain tags or names unfortunately - honestly I think would be great if they added that option.

Edit: Doing a complete blackout is unnecessary, you shouldnt have to avoid a platform simply because of one video, it sucks but just closing the tab or looking away is better than completely avoiding the platform devoiding yourself of whatever entertainment/options are available is what I meant.

Edit 2: Checked the settings and honestly surprised there's no options to filter out words or pretty much anything. Probably would be worth sending feedback and hope Google acknowledges a feature like that.

Last edited:

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I just learned not to care or get too worked up about "spoilers". If it's anything I'm REALLY interested in, I stay the fuck away from all major social media outlets and avenues.

Everyone has a different tolerance level and opinion on what constitutes as a spoiler. It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone or find common ground. So, better to just protect yourself instead of expecting everyone else to meet your standards.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Fuck boss fight database

Fuck em raw

But yeah this is the world we live in, don't youtube anything while you're still playing the game.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I think some channels make it a point to spoil things, they intentionally want to ruin peoples fun.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had this happen with a game before. I was watching a GOW trailer and the final boss popped up in recommended videos.

Here's how I deal with it, for a couple of months before the game is out I watch nothing that would give that YouTube algorithm a reason to suggest spoiler videos.

I'm not watching any star wars trailers, game reviews, soundtracks etc and that way nothing SW is being suggested to me. Not just YouTube but off-site too, I stopped entering SW topics here. Although I bet people are still debating The Last Jedi.

OP
OP
Vertpin

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I just learned not to care or get too worked up about "spoilers". If it's anything I'm REALLY interested in, I stay the fuck away from all major social media outlets and avenues.

Everyone has a different tolerance level and opinion on what constitutes as a spoiler. It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone or find common ground. So, better to just protect yourself instead of expecting everyone else to meet your standards.
I shouldn't have to stay away from YouTube because of a game I wanna play that just barely came out.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm sure your dismissal is very helpful for someone who is looking for advice.

I'm not dismissing it and what I said is better than saying "Stay away from YouTube" like other people usually would say.

Its something that happens I know and unfortunately there's no way to filter out videos like that.

To be honest, they should feature an ability for viewers to filter out certain words to prevent certain videos to come up.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The worst was my phone giving me pokemon YT notifications for the past week or so

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
Had the same thing happen to me with KH3, DMCV and Death Stranding (this was just a little spoiler tbh).
All three of them were recommended videos, and the spoiler was right in the title of the video.

I shouldn't have to stay away from YouTube because of a game I wanna play that just barely came out.
I agree. If only youtube had some kind of tag filter feature...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Then state that there's no way to filter it out so the OP gets something useful out of your post other than how much it doesn't bother you.

Its plain as day there's no way to avoid stuff like that. Telling the OP there is no hope wont help so a suggestion even if it isnt perfect is what I offered.

His first sentence is literally asking a question if anyone else was bothered with his issue, I just simply answered one of the questions.

I guess next time I'll just say "Just avoid YouTube" cause I'm sure that is more reassuring than what I posted last.

Edit: Doing a complete blackout is unnecessary, you shouldnt have to avoid a platform simply because of one video, it sucks but just closing the tab or looking away is better than completely avoiding the platform devoiding yourself of whatever entertainment/options are available is what I meant.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah I got spoiled too. Sucks.

I had to unfollow a channel that did game trailers that put a video with final boss spoilers in the thumbnail.

Oct 28, 2017
I made a rage post about it in the main topic. It's fucking garbage and it happens all the time. The most annoying one was when Red Dead 2 got spoiled for me. I was spoiled that
Arthur gets TB
in a YouTube recommendation. I was fuming.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Since YouTube automatically detects usually what game the video content is, maybe they could do like filter so user could filter out all videos with that game for period of time - 7 days, 1 month, 3 months, 1 year.
I'd instantly put at least 1 month filter to all games I plan to play on release.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Its plain as day there's no way to avoid stuff like that. Telling the OP there is no hope wont help so a suggestion even if it isnt perfect is what I offered.

His first sentence is literally asking a question if anyone else was bothered with his issue, I just simply answered one of the questions.

I guess next time I'll just say "Just avoid YouTube" cause I'm sure that is more reassuring than what I posted last.
I think it is helpful, the OP obviously didn't know that YouTube's content control options are severely lacking to the point of basically not existing. I would love to be able to block Jontron from ever appearing in my feed, I really would. It's super frustrating. Sorry to be a wiener about this. I can see now you didn't mean it as a drive-by.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this happens more often but we just don't notice it because
you may not have any idea who the final boss in most cases even if you see it on a youtube preview picture. However, everyone knows who Darth Vader is

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had something like that for God of War because I was watching something related and the system was like "Hey, since you like this, want to know this major plot point?"

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I got spoiled for DMC5, Death Stranding, Borderlands3 and a few other games through thumbnails. It takes me a while to get through games these days because of family shit and it's beyond fucking annoying especially when you go on full media blackout immediately after a games release.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think it is helpful, the OP obviously didn't know that YouTube's content control options are severely lacking to the point of basically not existing. I would love to be able to block Jontron from ever appearing in my feed, I really would. It's super frustrating. Sorry to be a wiener about this. I can see now you didn't mean it as a drive-by.

I edited my original post, hopefully that wont confuse anyone else that my post was a drive by lol.

The Reloader

Oct 27, 2017
Use video blocker chrome extension and add keywords like 'final boss', 'ending', 'fallen order' stuff like that, you can also block specific channels.
Also, you probably got these suggested videos because you were looking up stuff on Fallen Order. Delete those videos from your history.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming YTbers like Zanar Aesthetics and Shirako are notorious for spoiling the game to grab those easy views. I remember lookinh up general gameplay for God of War last year and their videos spoiled a lot of the big moments for the game.

It's super frustrating.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I hate when I've been watching a tv series, talk about it somewhere online, then see a video like "DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER SCENE" pop up on my recommended. Don't ruin that fucking shit for me just because I can't watch the show the second it comes out.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Are there browser plugins that hide youtube thumbnails? Idc about spoilers myself but I'm curious if someone created a plugin like this yet.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
For avoiding spoilers on youtube I'd definitely recommend a keyword blocker extension, there's a few for chrome where you can block/hide videos that use certain keywords you set.
Pretty much every major game release day one there's always spoiler filled youtube videos like you described, and that stuff pops up even if you didn't even watch anything related. I've used a keyword blocker in the past, for game stuff and certain TV shows, and it's worked out well.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Use video blocker chrome extension and add keywords like 'final boss', 'ending', 'fallen order' stuff like that, you can also block specific channels.
Also, you probably got these suggested videos because you were looking up stuff on Fallen Order. Delete those videos from your history.

This is a great idea, shame that we have to use a addon to do this rather than having it a actual feature on the platform.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same here. And I haven't even played the game yet. Oh well, I'm sure it won't take away from actually experiencing the moment.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a couple of things you could do that could help:

- Use a tracker blocking extension (or Firefox + Google Container) to prevent Google from tracking you all over. However, what you do in that container (inside YouTube, for example) still gets tracked. So if you watch a lot of gaming videos (or related to Star Wars, for example), this might show up.

- Use an adblocker's custom filter to hide the side panel and recommendations after a video is done playing, and open YouTube from the page that shows the videos from channels you subscribed to, not the main page. The only thing is that you'll need to search for all the videos you want.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have to be really careful around Youtube while playing Cold Steel III. Like the fact that I look at random JRPG stuff alone can cause the algorithm to show me spoilery stuff.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I don't see game spoilers, I'm pretty good at avoiding things like this but weirdly enough this one got spoiled for me. I don't even have the game nor was I looking anything up regarding it so it was wild lol. My brother had the same thing happen for him which is just uncommon for us lol.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's pretty crazy how bad this stuff is. I was getting spoiled on God of War because I was getting youtube recommendations, even though I had never searched for God of War

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google, YouTube and social media have made avoiding spoilers an uphill battle. It's not worth it to be a spoilerphobe in this day and age.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Delete and then pause your YouTube watch history. Unsubscribe any gaming related channels (not sure if this part has any influence in the suggestions you receive but I did it just in case).

Since I did this like a year ago I never had a problem.